Re: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

      That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron 5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

      According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner, to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

      Bruce

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:
      > >
      > > I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.
      > >
      > > I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.
      > >
      > > I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.
      > >
      > > When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously
      > opened and I get the lovely message
      > >
      > > Error
      > > Failed to create key application
      > >
      > > every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.
      > >

      > Try reinstalling NoteTab 5 again now.
      >
      > When you copied over the 4.95 files after installing version 5, you
      > would have overwritten the version 5 program files. So now just
      > reinstall the new version 5 to the same folder again and it should be
      > good to go.
      >
      > John

    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

        > No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder
        and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

        > That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron
        5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

        > According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner,
        to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

        > Bruce

        Ok I misunderstood you the first time Bruce.

        When I installed the released version V5, I also followed Eric's
        suggestion in the mentioned thread. However I didn't do it quite the
        way you did, I interpreted what he meant differently. The way I did
        it was like this:

        1. Close NoteTab 4.95 if it's running.

        2. Rename the NoteTab 4 folder to the suggested default name for
        NoteTab 5. For NoteTab Pro that was "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"

        3. And then do the V5 install using the default folder (the one you
        just renamed 4.95 to).

        And it worked perfectly for me. What happens if you rename your 4.95
        folder to the original NoteTab 5 folder created by the initial install
        of V5?

        John
      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
          Thanks John, for a serious suggestion.

          I have done the following:
          a) emptied the folder "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"
          b) copied the contents of "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro" (v. 4.95) into "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"
          c) deleted the 4 libraries listed by Eric
          d) installed version 5 into "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"

          I can run it, but every time I close it, I get an Error-window with the message
          Failed to create key Application.

          Throughout my active 'career' I have talked to (a nearly) countless number of programmers about not issuing messages that say little more than "Haha - it didn't work.".

          To be of use to a user, a message must tell him what he can/should do. The text "Failed to create key Application." does not.

          I may have to accept that this is either "due to the input control" or "a computer-related problem" and stick with version 4.95. It works fine. Good, that I of course kept it.

          Bruce

          It seems that this is considered off-topic. I don't know then, what this list is for.

          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
            Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it
            were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that
            didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.

            John

          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
              "John Zeman" <john041650@...>:
              Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
              John

              It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
              Failed to create key Application
              when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately" before shutdown continues.

              A friend that doesn't leave my side!
            • Alec Burgess(g)
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                Bruce:
                > Failed to create key Application
                Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration security
                works?
                Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from using the
                internet when it attemps to run first time?
                Regards ... Alec
                > Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were
                me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve
                it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
                > John
                >
                > It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I
                am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
                > Failed to create key Application
                > when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following
                close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately"
                before shutdown continues.

                > A friend that doesn't leave my side!

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Alex Plantema
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):

                  > Bruce:
                  >> Failed to create key Application
                  > Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                  > security works?
                  > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                  > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                  Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                  but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                  Alex.
                • Brian Mailman
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Alex Plantema wrote:

                    > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                    >
                    > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                    The simple fix sounds like Start > Run > regedit and then when registry
                    opens, copy/paste, add the key manually.

                    B/
                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                      Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.

                      > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                      > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                      Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key Application." Thanks.

                      > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                      > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                      No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup program - yes, an editor - no.

                      > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                      > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                      Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                      in my registry. It has entries
                      ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                      abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                      abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950

                      ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.

                      This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a separate entry for version 5 ?

                      Thanks for the tips.

                      Bruce
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                        Hi
                        is this person the administrator sounds as though he is not.??
                        THANKYOU DAVE M

                        > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                        >
                        >> Bruce:
                        >>> Failed to create key Application
                        >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                        >> security works?
                        >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                        >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                        >
                        > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                        > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                        >
                        > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                        >
                        > Alex.

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • dave
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                          Hi
                          If this was me I would move the original version some where safe ,then
                          install notetab where it wants once that's done, before you restart ntp5
                          copy the libraries that Eric said to into the library folder then copy your
                          favorites into the new C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Application Data\NoteTab
                          Pro has got , then copy the contents of your old ini from [options] to the
                          end and paste into the new one ,when you restart everything will be as it
                          was before .
                          THANKYOU DAVE M

                          > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                          >
                          >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                          >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                          >
                          > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                          > Application." Thanks.
                          >
                          >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                          >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                          >
                          > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                          > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                          > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                          > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                          > program - yes, an editor - no.
                          >
                          >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                          >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                          >
                          > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                          > in my registry. It has entries
                          > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                          > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                          > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                          >
                          > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                          >
                          > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                          > separate entry for version 5 ?
                          >
                          > Thanks for the tips.
                          >
                          > Bruce

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                            Hi
                            copy you own libraries into the new version not what I said previously
                            sorry.
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

                            > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                            >
                            >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                            >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                            >
                            > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                            > Application." Thanks.
                            >
                            >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                            >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                            >
                            > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                            > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                            > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                            > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                            > program - yes, an editor - no.
                            >
                            >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                            >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                            >
                            > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                            > in my registry. It has entries
                            > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                            > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                            > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                            >
                            > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                            >
                            > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                            > separate entry for version 5 ?
                            >
                            > Thanks for the tips.
                            >
                            > Bruce

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • hsavage
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                              Alex Plantema wrote:
                              > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                              >
                              >> Bruce:
                              >>> Failed to create key Application
                              >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                              >> security works?
                              >
                              > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                              > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                              >
                              > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                              >
                              > Alex.

                              Alex,

                              I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry, it
                              isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed NoteTab
                              to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                              I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've avoided
                              is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

                              This is all to say with the error message 'Failed to create key
                              Application' one should probably look elsewhere. :-(

                              ºvº
                              06.08.04_08.43
                              "Chaos, Panic, & Disorder - My work here is done."
                              hrs ø hsavage@...
                            • Alex Plantema
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 16:55 schreef hsavage:

                                > I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry,
                                > it isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed
                                > NoteTab to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                                That's quite possible, as I marked Store settings in Registry, because using the ini file instead of the registry requires administrative permissions, which is considered unsafe practice, and doesn't allow separate user settings. Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                  Alex:
                                  >Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                  I don't think that's correct. One of the big changes Eric made for V5 is to
                                  support separate user files in C:\Documents and
                                  Settings\{username}\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                                  In fact, AFAICT the Options/Advanced "store settings in registry" in the 4.x
                                  series has been removed!

                                  I haven't followed exactly what you're doing .... but maybe you could try
                                  changing that option in your 4.96 version (at least temporarily). Possibly
                                  there is some bug in ntb5 that is getting confused by leftovers from the
                                  4.96 setting.

                                  Hopefully changing the option in 4.96 will remove the detrius in the
                                  registry allowing a clean install of ntb 5.

                                  Regards ... Alec

                                • bruce.somers@web.de
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                    Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5 ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                    [Application]
                                    UseRegistry=0
                                    Version=4950

                                    Thanks Bruce
                                  • hsavage
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                      bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                      > Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5
                                      ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                      > [Application]
                                      > UseRegistry=0
                                      > Version=4950
                                      >
                                      > Thanks Bruce

                                      Bruce,

                                      My inifile has Version=5000. Although it is correct for V5 I don't
                                      recall changing it so I guess it was auto-generated. I don't know if it
                                      makes much difference but, you could edit it yourself if you're running V5.

                                      Just load NotePro.ini into the edit window, change 4950 to 5000, save
                                      that changed file as !NotePro.ini, with a leading exclamation mark in
                                      the name, Shut down NoteTab completely and restart. NoteTab will pick
                                      up and use the edited inifile overwriting the old file the next time you
                                      close NoteTab.

                                      ºvº
                                      06.08.06_10.55
                                      "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
                                      hrs ø hsavage@...
                                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                        hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote
                                        > My inifile has Version=5000

                                        Thank you very much!
                                        My ini-file consisted only of
                                        [Application]
                                        UseRegistry=1
                                        Version=4950

                                        I changed it to
                                        [Application]
                                        UseRegistry=0
                                        Version=5000

                                        Although I did not save it as !NotePro.ini, NotePro suddenly has created a much, much longer ini-file. And I no longer get the message
                                        Failed to create key Application

                                        I was just about to write that I cannot find the option to open the window always with the same size and position, when I remembered to right-click on the title bar. Good enough.

                                        I copied the [History] section from my 4.95 ini-file into the new one. hoping to to retrieve my list of open files, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

                                        Thanks for the assistance.

                                        Bruce