Re: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
      Message from Eric Fookes on July 14th:

      Hi Mitch,
      > I'd like to find a fast and easy way to transfer settings from NT
      > 4.95 to 5--moving all my spelling dictionaries, clips, toolbars,
      > and other settings and customizations from the older version to
      > the new version. Will this work: Simply copy the NT4.95 directory
      > to the NT5 directory, and then install NT5 over that? Or do I need
      > to do something else?

      Yes, that will work. However, NoteTab 5.0 includes an updated copy of
      the following:

      Utilities.clb
      PasteClips.clb
      SampleCode.clb

      ClipHelp.clh

      If NoteTab 5 finds those files in the target folder than the new
      versions won't be installed. To avoid this issue, simply deleted
      those 4 files from your new folder before you install NoteTab 5.

      Eric Fookes

      I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.

      I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.

      I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.

      When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously opened and I get the lovely message

      Error
      Failed to create key application

      every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

        > I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.
        >
        > I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.
        >
        > I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.
        >
        > When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously
        opened and I get the lovely message

        > Error
        > Failed to create key application
        >
        > every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.

        Try reinstalling NoteTab 5 again now.

        When you copied over the 4.95 files after installing version 5, you
        would have overwritten the version 5 program files. So now just
        reinstall the new version 5 to the same folder again and it should be
        good to go.

        John
      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
          No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

          That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron 5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

          According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner, to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

          Bruce

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > >
          > > I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.
          > >
          > > I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.
          > >
          > > I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.
          > >
          > > When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously
          > opened and I get the lovely message
          > >
          > > Error
          > > Failed to create key application
          > >
          > > every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.
          > >

          > Try reinstalling NoteTab 5 again now.
          >
          > When you copied over the 4.95 files after installing version 5, you
          > would have overwritten the version 5 program files. So now just
          > reinstall the new version 5 to the same folder again and it should be
          > good to go.
          >
          > John

        • John Zeman
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

            > No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder
            and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

            > That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron
            5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

            > According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner,
            to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

            > Bruce

            Ok I misunderstood you the first time Bruce.

            When I installed the released version V5, I also followed Eric's
            suggestion in the mentioned thread. However I didn't do it quite the
            way you did, I interpreted what he meant differently. The way I did
            it was like this:

            1. Close NoteTab 4.95 if it's running.

            2. Rename the NoteTab 4 folder to the suggested default name for
            NoteTab 5. For NoteTab Pro that was "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"

            3. And then do the V5 install using the default folder (the one you
            just renamed 4.95 to).

            And it worked perfectly for me. What happens if you rename your 4.95
            folder to the original NoteTab 5 folder created by the initial install
            of V5?

            John
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
              Thanks John, for a serious suggestion.

              I have done the following:
              a) emptied the folder "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"
              b) copied the contents of "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro" (v. 4.95) into "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"
              c) deleted the 4 libraries listed by Eric
              d) installed version 5 into "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"

              I can run it, but every time I close it, I get an Error-window with the message
              Failed to create key Application.

              Throughout my active 'career' I have talked to (a nearly) countless number of programmers about not issuing messages that say little more than "Haha - it didn't work.".

              To be of use to a user, a message must tell him what he can/should do. The text "Failed to create key Application." does not.

              I may have to accept that this is either "due to the input control" or "a computer-related problem" and stick with version 4.95. It works fine. Good, that I of course kept it.

              Bruce

              It seems that this is considered off-topic. I don't know then, what this list is for.

              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it
                were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that
                didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.

                John

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                  "John Zeman" <john041650@...>:
                  Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
                  John

                  It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
                  Failed to create key Application
                  when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately" before shutdown continues.

                  A friend that doesn't leave my side!
                • Alec Burgess(g)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                    Bruce:
                    > Failed to create key Application
                    Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration security
                    works?
                    Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from using the
                    internet when it attemps to run first time?
                    Regards ... Alec
                    > Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were
                    me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve
                    it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
                    > John
                    >
                    > It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I
                    am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
                    > Failed to create key Application
                    > when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following
                    close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately"
                    before shutdown continues.

                    > A friend that doesn't leave my side!

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Alex Plantema
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):

                      > Bruce:
                      >> Failed to create key Application
                      > Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                      > security works?
                      > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                      > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                      Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                      but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                      Alex.
                    • Brian Mailman
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Alex Plantema wrote:

                        > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                        > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                        >
                        > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                        The simple fix sounds like Start > Run > regedit and then when registry
                        opens, copy/paste, add the key manually.

                        B/
                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                          Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.

                          > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                          Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key Application." Thanks.

                          > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                          > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                          No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup program - yes, an editor - no.

                          > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                          Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                          in my registry. It has entries
                          ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                          abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                          abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950

                          ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.

                          This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a separate entry for version 5 ?

                          Thanks for the tips.

                          Bruce
                        • dave
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                            Hi
                            is this person the administrator sounds as though he is not.??
                            THANKYOU DAVE M

                            > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                            >
                            >> Bruce:
                            >>> Failed to create key Application
                            >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                            >> security works?
                            >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                            >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                            >
                            > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                            >
                            > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                            >
                            > Alex.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                              Hi
                              If this was me I would move the original version some where safe ,then
                              install notetab where it wants once that's done, before you restart ntp5
                              copy the libraries that Eric said to into the library folder then copy your
                              favorites into the new C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Application Data\NoteTab
                              Pro has got , then copy the contents of your old ini from [options] to the
                              end and paste into the new one ,when you restart everything will be as it
                              was before .
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

                              > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                              >
                              >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                              >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                              >
                              > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                              > Application." Thanks.
                              >
                              >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                              >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                              >
                              > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                              > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                              > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                              > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                              > program - yes, an editor - no.
                              >
                              >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                              >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                              >
                              > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                              > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                              > in my registry. It has entries
                              > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                              > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                              > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                              >
                              > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                              >
                              > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                              > separate entry for version 5 ?
                              >
                              > Thanks for the tips.
                              >
                              > Bruce

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • dave
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                Hi
                                copy you own libraries into the new version not what I said previously
                                sorry.
                                THANKYOU DAVE M

                                > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                                >
                                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                >
                                > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                                > Application." Thanks.
                                >
                                >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                                >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                                >
                                > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                                > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                                > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                                > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                                > program - yes, an editor - no.
                                >
                                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                >
                                > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                                > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                                > in my registry. It has entries
                                > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                                > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                                > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                                >
                                > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                                >
                                > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                                > separate entry for version 5 ?
                                >
                                > Thanks for the tips.
                                >
                                > Bruce

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • hsavage
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                  Alex Plantema wrote:
                                  > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                                  >
                                  >> Bruce:
                                  >>> Failed to create key Application
                                  >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                                  >> security works?
                                  >
                                  > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                  > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                  >
                                  > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                                  >
                                  > Alex.

                                  Alex,

                                  I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry, it
                                  isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed NoteTab
                                  to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                                  I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've avoided
                                  is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

                                  This is all to say with the error message 'Failed to create key
                                  Application' one should probably look elsewhere. :-(

                                  ºvº
                                  06.08.04_08.43
                                  "Chaos, Panic, & Disorder - My work here is done."
                                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                                • Alex Plantema
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                    Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 16:55 schreef hsavage:

                                    > I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry,
                                    > it isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed
                                    > NoteTab to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                                    That's quite possible, as I marked Store settings in Registry, because using the ini file instead of the registry requires administrative permissions, which is considered unsafe practice, and doesn't allow separate user settings. Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                      Alex:
                                      >Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                      I don't think that's correct. One of the big changes Eric made for V5 is to
                                      support separate user files in C:\Documents and
                                      Settings\{username}\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                                      In fact, AFAICT the Options/Advanced "store settings in registry" in the 4.x
                                      series has been removed!

                                      I haven't followed exactly what you're doing .... but maybe you could try
                                      changing that option in your 4.96 version (at least temporarily). Possibly
                                      there is some bug in ntb5 that is getting confused by leftovers from the
                                      4.96 setting.

                                      Hopefully changing the option in 4.96 will remove the detrius in the
                                      registry allowing a clean install of ntb 5.

                                      Regards ... Alec

                                    • bruce.somers@web.de
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                        Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5 ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                        [Application]
                                        UseRegistry=0
                                        Version=4950

                                        Thanks Bruce
                                      • hsavage
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                          bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                          > Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5
                                          ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                          > [Application]
                                          > UseRegistry=0
                                          > Version=4950
                                          >
                                          > Thanks Bruce

                                          Bruce,

                                          My inifile has Version=5000. Although it is correct for V5 I don't
                                          recall changing it so I guess it was auto-generated. I don't know if it
                                          makes much difference but, you could edit it yourself if you're running V5.

                                          Just load NotePro.ini into the edit window, change 4950 to 5000, save
                                          that changed file as !NotePro.ini, with a leading exclamation mark in
                                          the name, Shut down NoteTab completely and restart. NoteTab will pick
                                          up and use the edited inifile overwriting the old file the next time you
                                          close NoteTab.

                                          ºvº
                                          06.08.06_10.55
                                          "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
                                          hrs ø hsavage@...
                                        • bruce.somers@web.de
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                            hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote
                                            > My inifile has Version=5000

                                            Thank you very much!
                                            My ini-file consisted only of
                                            [Application]
                                            UseRegistry=1
                                            Version=4950

                                            I changed it to
                                            [Application]
                                            UseRegistry=0
                                            Version=5000

                                            Although I did not save it as !NotePro.ini, NotePro suddenly has created a much, much longer ini-file. And I no longer get the message
                                            Failed to create key Application

                                            I was just about to write that I cannot find the option to open the window always with the same size and position, when I remembered to right-click on the title bar. Good enough.

                                            I copied the [History] section from my 4.95 ini-file into the new one. hoping to to retrieve my list of open files, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

                                            Thanks for the assistance.

                                            Bruce