Multiple INI Questions

  • John Mitchell
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2006
      Prompted by a recent discussion on the Next Release list I created a
      shortcut that uses a separate INI. It works as expected up to a point
      but a number of things don't behave as I anticipated

      1. It doesn't remember what files were open.
      2. It doesn't remember the last used directory.
      3. It always opens with a single blank file NoName03.txt.

      In Options / General, Reload Open Documents is checked and in Options
      /Files, Match Directory is checked.

      Is this working as designed (Version 5, NTB Pro) or am I missing
      something?

      Regards, John M
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
        I just tried this with a new shortcut and I just copied an existing
        shortcut and changed the name of the ini file. When I exited and
        re-started, it remembered the files I left open. The ini file was
        created by NoteTab in the NoteTab program directory.

        If you want the ini file to be in the data path, you must specify the
        full path to the ini file.

        What steps did you take to make your shortcut? Did you let NoteTab
        create the ini file, or did you rename an existing one, or something else?

        Can anyone else duplicate this?

        Larry Hamilton

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

        > Prompted by a recent discussion on the Next Release list I created a
        > shortcut that uses a separate INI. It works as expected up to a point
        > but a number of things don't behave as I anticipated
        >
        > 1. It doesn't remember what files were open.
        > 2. It doesn't remember the last used directory.
        > 3. It always opens with a single blank file NoName03.txt.
        >
        > In Options / General, Reload Open Documents is checked and in Options
        > /Files, Match Directory is checked.
        >
        > Is this working as designed (Version 5, NTB Pro) or am I missing
        > something?
        >
        > Regards, John M
      • John Mitchell
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
          I used some clip code posted by Larry Hamilton to generate the command.
          Here it is..

          "E:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /L="HTML" /C=HTML-1
          /INST="HTML Editing" /INI="HTML"

          The behaviour is as described whether I start from a desktop shortcut or
          from Start --> Run. HTML.ini is created in C:\Documents and
          Settings\MYUSEERNAME\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

          Regards, John M

          I just tried this with a new shortcut and I just copied an existing
          shortcut and changed the name of the ini file. When I exited and
          re-started, it remembered the files I left open. The ini file was
          created by NoteTab in the NoteTab program directory.

          If you want the ini file to be in the data path, you must specify the
          full path to the ini file.

          What steps did you take to make your shortcut? Did you let NoteTab
          create the ini file, or did you rename an existing one, or something
          else?

          Can anyone else duplicate this?

          Larry Hamilton

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

          > Prompted by a recent discussion on the Next Release list I created a
          > shortcut that uses a separate INI. It works as expected up to a point
          > but a number of things don't behave as I anticipated
          >
          > 1. It doesn't remember what files were open.
          > 2. It doesn't remember the last used directory.
          > 3. It always opens with a single blank file NoName03.txt.
          >
          > In Options / General, Reload Open Documents is checked and in Options
          > /Files, Match Directory is checked.
          >
          > Is this working as designed (Version 5, NTB Pro) or am I missing
          > something?
          >
          > Regards, John M
        • John Mitchell
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2, 2006
            Quote.. "I used some clip code posted by Larry Hamilton to generate the
            command."

            Larry, apologies for referring to you in the third person. I replied so
            quickly to your post that I didn't spot the fact that you were the
            person I was responding to! My excuse is that it is 5am here in Sydney
            and I'm not yet fully awake.

            Regards, John M
          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
              John,

              No problem. I only follow this list on the web due to its high volume.
              I only respond to a few messages.

              Larry Hamilton

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

              > Quote.. "I used some clip code posted by Larry Hamilton to generate the
              > command."
              >
              > Larry, apologies for referring to you in the third person. I replied so
              > quickly to your post that I didn't spot the fact that you were the
              > person I was responding to! My excuse is that it is 5am here in Sydney
              > and I'm not yet fully awake.
              >
              > Regards, John M
            • lm_hamilton
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3, 2006
                John,

                I do not have time to test this, at the moment, but the problem may be
                that I installed version 5 over version 5 beta, which I installed over
                version 4. I prefer to have NoteTab installed to C:\NoteTab.

                This must be part of the reason I cannot duplicate this issue.

                Larry Hamilton

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "John Mitchell" <notetab@...> wrote:

                > I used some clip code posted by Larry Hamilton to generate the command.
                > Here it is..
                >
                > "E:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro 5\NotePro.exe" /L="HTML" /C=HTML-1
                > /INST="HTML Editing" /INI="HTML"
                >
                > The behaviour is as described whether I start from a desktop shortcut or
                > from Start --> Run. HTML.ini is created in C:\Documents and
                > Settings\MYUSEERNAME\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
                >
                > Regards, John M
              • John Mitchell
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 12, 2006
                  Let me answer my own question... it is working as designed.

                  When all else failed, I resorted to reading the Help where it clearly
                  says: /INST=InstanceID Opens a new instance of NoteTab (even if multiple
                  instances is disabled) or activates the instance matching the InstanceID
                  text. Use quotes around InstanceId if it contains spaces. Multiple
                  instances are disabled in instances opened through this method, *and
                  documents are not automatically reopened*. Example: NoteTab /INST="HTML
                  Editing".

                  Once I removed the /INST= from my command line, problems (1) to (3) went
                  away.

                  My understanding of multiple instances is/was flawed. In my default NTB
                  profile I do *not* enable multiple instances. I had assumed that meant
                  no other copy of NTB would open but this is not true. I am able to open
                  a separate copy of NTB as long as I use a different INI.

                  Regards, John M