Re: [NTB] NoteTab 5 with Wine

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 28, 2006
      Hi Ben,

      Thanks for your comments. Check out the following for operation
      under Linux. Please take any discussion about this to the
      OffTopic list. TIA See the footers for links to it or the
      section below about the mailing lists.

      We won't be making a Linux version, but all our software will run
      in Linux under Wine and certain Linux OS'. Larry Hamilton knows
      quite a bit about it and has some good notes at...

      http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

      He also has a Support Blog, on various computer related topics.
      This link is to the Linux topic, with notes on installing Wine
      among them.

      http://kairoscomputers.com/blog/?cat=3

      Also, you might want to check out the software he sells to make a
      small commission for him just to say thanks to him for making the
      information available to you.

      For additional discussion group messages about using NoteTab on
      Linux, check out the NoteTab Off Topic list below. If you search
      for "larry hamilton linux" without the quotes, you'll find quite a
      bit of messages to refer to.

      You may sign up for the different Fookes Software discussion mailing
      lists from either of the links below. Please take a minute or so and
      read this. There are many lists and your help in posting messages
      properly to the different lists is greatly appreciated.

      _Please_ read the following to see what list to send messages to and
      some basic guidelines to follow. It is very important to keep the
      lists running efficiently, getting faster replies, getting replies
      from the best qualified/expert people, searching archives, and other
      things as well.

      - Use a descriptive Subject: line to begin with! This is important!
      Newbie Needs Help and similar Subject lines should be changed
      immediately to an appropriate Subject such as:

      Files Keep Opening When I Open NoteTab (was Re: [NTB] Newbie Needs Help)
      Basic Help With Web Pages (was Re: [NTB] Help)
      Need Clip to Reformat HTML <head>...</head> (was Re: [Clip] Need Clip)

      - Messages should be referred/redirected to the appropriate lists such as
      Clip questions to the Clips list, HTML to the ntb-HTML list. You can Cc:
      the sender of a Clips question and send your reply to the Clips list. Or,
      Reply and Cc: the Clips list stating you will Reply on the Clips list.

      - Delete text from your replies that is not needed to understand your
      reply - strip footers, and extra text that is not needed.

      - If the content of the messages change drastically from the Subject
      line, please change the Subject line or start a new Subject with
      the same message body of the last message received that you are
      replying to and changing the Subject. Don't forget to leave
      the original Subject in like: Re: [NH] Frames Using CSS (was How do
      I blockquote?) for people that are using filters and so the same
      message thread can be followed easier.

      - Discussion of software other than Fookes Software is only allowed
      on the Off-Topic list and encouraged! Feel free to recommend
      competitive software on the Off-Topic list as well. When replying
      say from the Basic List and it needs to go to the Clips list,
      then send it there and copy the poster in a private message to
      the person you are wanting to help letting them know you moved it
      to the Clips list. They can sign up for it via the bottom of
      every [NTB] message or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      - Keep the conversation clean; all age groups are on the list and
      cussing/cursing offends many people! TIA :)

      + WHICH LIST to post on???

      Clips or Scripts list for them.

      discussion takes place on the ntb-OffTopic list. The Aid4Mail,
      MailBag Assistant, Easy Thumbnails, Easy Imager, and Album Express
      lists are for discussion of those programs.

      Discussion mailing list subscribing and unsubscribing:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      lists.

      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
      The site (http://www.notetab.net) is one of my personal web sites.
      You can get a lot of useful Libraries and some great Clips there
      on a page I titled Snatch-A-Clip.

      http://www.notetab.net/html/snatchclp.htm
      http://www.notetab.net/html/html/library.htm

      >Congratulations on the release of NoteTab Pro 5.
      >
      >Unlike many here, the lack of customizable syntax highlighting is
      >of no great concern to me and the price is almost a non-issue. I
      >have long felt that NoteTab Pro is the most underpriced shareware
      >program available. A $15 upgrade fee is entirely reasonable and
      >even the full price is a bargain for a program that I use as
      >frequently as NoteTab.
      >
      >Most of the improvements and additions to the program look very
      >promising and I have no doubt that the "under-the-hood" changes
      >will result in an even more robust product. I am particularly
      >happy that the new RegEx engine made the final cut.
      >
      >But what really rekindled my interest in the new version was the
      >statement that the "Registered version [has been] successfully
      >tested under Wine". I recall that you have said that you have no
      >intention of producing a Linux native version of NoteTab and
      >although 4.95 is functional under Wine it is a bit buggy so I'm
      >pleased to see this indication that you are not ignoring
      >alternate platforms altogether.
      >
      >Unfortunately the trial version will not run under Wine even
      >though it seems to install correctly. I hope that this is is an
      >artifact of the "third-party hacker-protection wrapper" that was
      >mentioned in an earlier thread but I'd like to see some assurance
      >that the registered version is not so encumbered.
      >TIA
      >Ben

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
      description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List
      mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)