Re: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

  • Ugly Person
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 13 3:19 PM
      From: "Mitch Wagner" <mitch.wagner@...>
      To: <notetab@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 4:59 PM
      Subject: [NTB] Transferring settings from 4.95 to 5

      > I'd like to find a fast and easy way to transfer settings from NT 4.95
      > to 5--moving all my spelling dictionaries, clips, toolbars, and other
      > settings and customizations from the older version to the new version.
      >
      > Will this work: Simply copy the NT4.95 directory to the NT5 directory,
      > and then install NT5 over that? Or do I need to do something else?

      Fortunately, installing a new version over a previous version retains the
      settings - in the 4.x versions.
      I have a 2.something version of Super NoteTab that I acquired recently (but
      never used). I never tried (yet) to see if I can import settings from that
      version to a modern version. Of course Eric has all the answers but that
      seems to work so far. You could try copying notetab.ini / notepro.ini as
      well. There are all theoretical of course. But you can give them a try.
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
        Message from Eric Fookes on July 14th:

        Hi Mitch,
        > I'd like to find a fast and easy way to transfer settings from NT
        > 4.95 to 5--moving all my spelling dictionaries, clips, toolbars,
        > and other settings and customizations from the older version to
        > the new version. Will this work: Simply copy the NT4.95 directory
        > to the NT5 directory, and then install NT5 over that? Or do I need
        > to do something else?

        Yes, that will work. However, NoteTab 5.0 includes an updated copy of
        the following:

        Utilities.clb
        PasteClips.clb
        SampleCode.clb

        ClipHelp.clh

        If NoteTab 5 finds those files in the target folder than the new
        versions won't be installed. To avoid this issue, simply deleted
        those 4 files from your new folder before you install NoteTab 5.

        Eric Fookes

        I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.

        I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.

        I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.

        When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously opened and I get the lovely message

        Error
        Failed to create key application

        every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.
      • John Zeman
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

          > I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.
          >
          > I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.
          >
          > I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.
          >
          > When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously
          opened and I get the lovely message

          > Error
          > Failed to create key application
          >
          > every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.

          Try reinstalling NoteTab 5 again now.

          When you copied over the 4.95 files after installing version 5, you
          would have overwritten the version 5 program files. So now just
          reinstall the new version 5 to the same folder again and it should be
          good to go.

          John
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
            No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

            That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron 5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

            According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner, to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

            Bruce

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:
            > >
            > > I purchased, downloaded and installed NoteTab 5.
            > >
            > > I deleted the 4 libraries in NT4.95 mentioned by Eric.
            > >
            > > I then copied the new NT 5 folder over the folder with NT 4.95.
            > >
            > > When I start NT 5, it loads but does not open the files previously
            > opened and I get the lovely message
            > >
            > > Error
            > > Failed to create key application
            > >
            > > every time! That's all. I'm afraid to use it.
            > >

            > Try reinstalling NoteTab 5 again now.
            >
            > When you copied over the 4.95 files after installing version 5, you
            > would have overwritten the version 5 program files. So now just
            > reinstall the new version 5 to the same folder again and it should be
            > good to go.
            >
            > John

          • John Zeman
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2006
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

              > No, no. I deleted the files named by Eric from the NT 4.95 folder
              and then copied the content of the NT5 folder into the old 4.95 folder.

              > That should replace any 4.95 files with corresponding new ones fron
              5.0, but retain any 4.95 files not in the new folder.

              > According to Eric's posting, it should be possible in this manner,
              to retain settings from the previous version. "It should."

              > Bruce

              Ok I misunderstood you the first time Bruce.

              When I installed the released version V5, I also followed Eric's
              suggestion in the mentioned thread. However I didn't do it quite the
              way you did, I interpreted what he meant differently. The way I did
              it was like this:

              1. Close NoteTab 4.95 if it's running.

              2. Rename the NoteTab 4 folder to the suggested default name for
              NoteTab 5. For NoteTab Pro that was "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"

              3. And then do the V5 install using the default folder (the one you
              just renamed 4.95 to).

              And it worked perfectly for me. What happens if you rename your 4.95
              folder to the original NoteTab 5 folder created by the initial install
              of V5?

              John
            • bruce.somers@web.de
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                Thanks John, for a serious suggestion.

                I have done the following:
                a) emptied the folder "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"
                b) copied the contents of "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro" (v. 4.95) into "C:\Program Files\Notetab Pro 5"
                c) deleted the 4 libraries listed by Eric
                d) installed version 5 into "C:\Programs\Notetab Pro 5"

                I can run it, but every time I close it, I get an Error-window with the message
                Failed to create key Application.

                Throughout my active 'career' I have talked to (a nearly) countless number of programmers about not issuing messages that say little more than "Haha - it didn't work.".

                To be of use to a user, a message must tell him what he can/should do. The text "Failed to create key Application." does not.

                I may have to accept that this is either "due to the input control" or "a computer-related problem" and stick with version 4.95. It works fine. Good, that I of course kept it.

                Bruce

                It seems that this is considered off-topic. I don't know then, what this list is for.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it
                  were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that
                  didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.

                  John

                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                    "John Zeman" <john041650@...>:
                    Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
                    John

                    It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
                    Failed to create key Application
                    when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately" before shutdown continues.

                    A friend that doesn't leave my side!
                  • Alec Burgess(g)
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Bruce:
                      > Failed to create key Application
                      Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration security
                      works?
                      Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from using the
                      internet when it attemps to run first time?
                      Regards ... Alec
                      > Sounds like it's time for you to contact support on this Bruce. If it were
                      me I'd probably try reinstalling V5 again first but if that didn't resolve
                      it I'd contact Jody or Eric.
                      > John
                      >
                      > It's even worse that I reported. If I run version 5 and then close it, I
                      am nevertheless greeted again with that cryptic message
                      > Failed to create key Application
                      > when I try to shut down. So some residue remains in memory following
                      close. I have to click on a further entry to "end NoteTab immediately"
                      before shutdown continues.

                      > A friend that doesn't leave my side!

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Alex Plantema
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                        Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):

                        > Bruce:
                        >> Failed to create key Application
                        > Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                        > security works?
                        > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                        > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                        Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                        HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                        but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                        Alex.
                      • Brian Mailman
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 3, 2006
                          Alex Plantema wrote:

                          > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                          > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                          >
                          > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...

                          The simple fix sounds like Start > Run > regedit and then when registry
                          opens, copy/paste, add the key manually.

                          B/
                        • bruce.somers@web.de
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                            Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.

                            > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                            Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key Application." Thanks.

                            > Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                            > using the internet when it attemps to run first time?

                            No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup program - yes, an editor - no.

                            > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                            > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application

                            Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                            in my registry. It has entries
                            ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                            abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                            abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950

                            ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.

                            This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a separate entry for version 5 ?

                            Thanks for the tips.

                            Bruce
                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                              Hi
                              is this person the administrator sounds as though he is not.??
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

                              > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                              >
                              >> Bruce:
                              >>> Failed to create key Application
                              >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                              >> security works?
                              >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                              >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                              >
                              > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                              > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                              >
                              > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                              >
                              > Alex.

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • dave
                              Message 14 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                Hi
                                If this was me I would move the original version some where safe ,then
                                install notetab where it wants once that's done, before you restart ntp5
                                copy the libraries that Eric said to into the library folder then copy your
                                favorites into the new C:\Documents and Settings\xx\Application Data\NoteTab
                                Pro has got , then copy the contents of your old ini from [options] to the
                                end and paste into the new one ,when you restart everything will be as it
                                was before .
                                THANKYOU DAVE M

                                > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                                >
                                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                >
                                > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                                > Application." Thanks.
                                >
                                >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                                >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                                >
                                > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                                > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                                > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                                > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                                > program - yes, an editor - no.
                                >
                                >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                >
                                > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                                > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                                > in my registry. It has entries
                                > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                                > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                                > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                                >
                                > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                                >
                                > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                                > separate entry for version 5 ?
                                >
                                > Thanks for the tips.
                                >
                                > Bruce

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • dave
                                Message 15 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                  Hi
                                  copy you own libraries into the new version not what I said previously
                                  sorry.
                                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                                  > Thanks Alec, Alex and Brian for actual support attemps. I appreciate them.
                                  >
                                  >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                  >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                  >
                                  > Ow! I note that I overlooked the upper-case A in "Failed to create key
                                  > Application." Thanks.
                                  >
                                  >> Is there any chance you have firewall etc. blocking Notetab from
                                  >> using the internet when it attemps to run first time?
                                  >
                                  > No. I normally establish an internet connection before I start any
                                  > programs (other than those in the Startup) and it asks allow/deny if any
                                  > program attempts to access the internet on its iwn. There is also no good
                                  > reason for an editor to connect to the internet without asking. A setup
                                  > program - yes, an editor - no.
                                  >
                                  >> Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                  >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                  >
                                  > Now it gets complicated! I find an entry
                                  > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notepro\Application
                                  > in my registry. It has entries
                                  > ab(standard)..........REG_SZ......no value set)
                                  > abMainDirectory......REG_SZ
                                  > abVersion...............REG_SZ......4950
                                  >
                                  > ab has the appearance of an icon, but clicking on it does nothing.
                                  >
                                  > This is obviously for version 4.95 -- how do I go about creating a
                                  > separate entry for version 5 ?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for the tips.
                                  >
                                  > Bruce

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                • hsavage
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                    Alex Plantema wrote:
                                    > Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 00:20 schreef Alec Burgess(g):
                                    >
                                    >> Bruce:
                                    >>> Failed to create key Application
                                    >> Maybe this has something to do with how the key and registration
                                    >> security works?
                                    >
                                    > Notetab creates a key called Application in the registry:
                                    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\EF Notetab\Application
                                    >
                                    > but why creation fails isn't clear to me...
                                    >
                                    > Alex.

                                    Alex,

                                    I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry, it
                                    isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed NoteTab
                                    to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                                    I've been using NoteTab for quite a while and the one thing I've avoided
                                    is using the registry in place of NotePro/Tab inifile.

                                    This is all to say with the error message 'Failed to create key
                                    Application' one should probably look elsewhere. :-(

                                    ºvº
                                    06.08.04_08.43
                                    "Chaos, Panic, & Disorder - My work here is done."
                                    hrs ø hsavage@...
                                  • Alex Plantema
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                      Op vrijdag 4 augustus 2006 16:55 schreef hsavage:

                                      > I became curious about this registry key and checked my own registry,
                                      > it isn't there. Could it be it's only created if one has allowed
                                      > NoteTab to write to the registry instead of an inifile? :-\

                                      That's quite possible, as I marked Store settings in Registry, because using the ini file instead of the registry requires administrative permissions, which is considered unsafe practice, and doesn't allow separate user settings. Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Aug 4, 2006
                                        Alex:
                                        >Version 5 always uses the registry, there's no choice.

                                        I don't think that's correct. One of the big changes Eric made for V5 is to
                                        support separate user files in C:\Documents and
                                        Settings\{username}\Application Data\NoteTab Pro

                                        In fact, AFAICT the Options/Advanced "store settings in registry" in the 4.x
                                        series has been removed!

                                        I haven't followed exactly what you're doing .... but maybe you could try
                                        changing that option in your 4.96 version (at least temporarily). Possibly
                                        there is some bug in ntb5 that is getting confused by leftovers from the
                                        4.96 setting.

                                        Hopefully changing the option in 4.96 will remove the detrius in the
                                        registry allowing a clean install of ntb 5.

                                        Regards ... Alec

                                      • bruce.somers@web.de
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                          Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5 ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                          [Application]
                                          UseRegistry=0
                                          Version=4950

                                          Thanks Bruce
                                        • hsavage
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                            bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                            > Please - what should the version no. be in the ini-ile for NotePro 5
                                            ? 5 or perhaps 5000 ?Mine has

                                            > [Application]
                                            > UseRegistry=0
                                            > Version=4950
                                            >
                                            > Thanks Bruce

                                            Bruce,

                                            My inifile has Version=5000. Although it is correct for V5 I don't
                                            recall changing it so I guess it was auto-generated. I don't know if it
                                            makes much difference but, you could edit it yourself if you're running V5.

                                            Just load NotePro.ini into the edit window, change 4950 to 5000, save
                                            that changed file as !NotePro.ini, with a leading exclamation mark in
                                            the name, Shut down NoteTab completely and restart. NoteTab will pick
                                            up and use the edited inifile overwriting the old file the next time you
                                            close NoteTab.

                                            ºvº
                                            06.08.06_10.55
                                            "Communication Skills I; Tears - The Last Resort, Not the First."
                                            hrs ø hsavage@...
                                          • bruce.somers@web.de
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Aug 6, 2006
                                              hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote
                                              > My inifile has Version=5000

                                              Thank you very much!
                                              My ini-file consisted only of
                                              [Application]
                                              UseRegistry=1
                                              Version=4950

                                              I changed it to
                                              [Application]
                                              UseRegistry=0
                                              Version=5000

                                              Although I did not save it as !NotePro.ini, NotePro suddenly has created a much, much longer ini-file. And I no longer get the message
                                              Failed to create key Application

                                              I was just about to write that I cannot find the option to open the window always with the same size and position, when I remembered to right-click on the title bar. Good enough.

                                              I copied the [History] section from my 4.95 ini-file into the new one. hoping to to retrieve my list of open files, but that doesn't seem to do the trick.

                                              Thanks for the assistance.

                                              Bruce