Re: [NTB] Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

  • fw7oaks
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
      Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
      modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
      example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.

      Regards

      fw

      --- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

      > I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been out
      > forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I purchased it
      > so
      > long ago I can't find the email for it. I probably deleted in on
      > accident. :P
      >
      > I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as I've
      > been
      > anticipating it for quite some time now.

    • websitemgrs
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

        > Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
        > modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
        > example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > fw

        I don't think 50% of $29.95 steep, especially when NTP gets so much
        support. I'm also surprised that in all the time I've been building
        websites with it there's been no upgrade fees. That's been since I
        originally purchased NTP Aug. 31, 1997. Yes I still have the original
        email receipt and it says $19.95 - ok, I'm a receipt and software
        junkie (I still have the original install files plus all the updates
        too).

        So I think that $20 for 9 years of use is an *awesome* deal, wouldn't
        you? Not only that, but the price has only gone up $10 since then.
        There are companies charging triple that PER YEAR for software
        updates. I've tried many of the WYSIWYG programs and would not trade
        NTP for *any* of them.

        Jim
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
          Hi fw,

          >Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
          >modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
          >example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.

          It fixes a number of bugs, adds a new great regular expression
          engine, and more updates sooner because of the code update. Also,
          remember, I mentioned that we are not sure of any pricing yet.
          The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
          don't have to buy it. I'm still using a lot of old programs
          because they do all I need. There's no reason for me to upgrade,
          and also, I find that some programs add a lot of stuff making it
          slower, so I like the older versions better. NoteTab has not
          slowed any, but I think it is a tad bit faster.

          I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
          long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
          board with? I paid $5.00 for NoteTab Pro when it first came out
          many, many years ago. ;)

          >fw
          >
          >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
          >
          >> I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been
          >> out forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I
          >> purchased it so long ago I can't find the email for it. I
          >> probably deleted in on accident. :P
          >>
          >> I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as
          >> I've been anticipating it for quite some time now.

          Happy Tab'n,

        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 27, 2006
            Hi Jody,

            [snip]

            > The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
            > don't have to buy it.

            That's very true.

            [snip]

            > I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
            > long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
            > board with?

            House rule number one around here, anybody can ask anything: just
            don't always expect an answer. About a month, 4.95. However the
            answer needs qualifying, I first tried NTP years ago, version three
            something. I didn't feel happy with it but each time I built myself a
            new computer I downloaded a copy to see how 'we' are coming along.
            This time my software skills have improved, as has NTP, and I came on
            board.

            Regards

            fw
          • Luis Lobo Borobia
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
              Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's no
              plan to it!
              I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I used it
              I think about 8 years ago.

              I just would love it if has syntax highlighting. I hate having to open
              EditPlus just to edit some asp files.

              Thnks!

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

              > Hi fw,
              >
              > >Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
              > >modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
              > >example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.
              >
              > It fixes a number of bugs, adds a new great regular expression
              > engine, and more updates sooner because of the code update. Also,
              > remember, I mentioned that we are not sure of any pricing yet.
              > The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
              > don't have to buy it. I'm still using a lot of old programs
              > because they do all I need. There's no reason for me to upgrade,
              > and also, I find that some programs add a lot of stuff making it
              > slower, so I like the older versions better. NoteTab has not
              > slowed any, but I think it is a tad bit faster.
              >
              > I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
              > long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
              > board with? I paid $5.00 for NoteTab Pro when it first came out
              > many, many years ago. ;)
              >
              > >fw
              > >
              > >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
              > >
              > >> I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been
              > >> out forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I
              > >> purchased it so long ago I can't find the email for it. I
              > >> probably deleted in on accident. :P
              > >>
              > >> I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as
              > >> I've been anticipating it for quite some time now.
              >

              > Happy Tab'n,
              > Jody Adair
              >
              > NoteTabbers Assistant Page: http://www.notetab.net
              > NoteTab FAQ: http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb
              > Sojourners Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software
              > Convert to another mail program: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
              > Clean-Funnies dot com: http://www.clean-funnies.com

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
                Luis Lobo Borobia wrote:
                > Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's no
                > plan to it!
                > I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I used it
                > I think about 8 years ago.
                >
                > I just would love it if has syntax highlighting. I hate having to open
                > EditPlus just to edit some asp files.
                >
                > Thnks!
                I have recently seen a brilliant clip library that does syntax
                highlighting in your browser in most languages. I am hopeful it is
                generally released ... we'll see :-)
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 29, 2006
                  Hi Luis,

                  >Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's
                  >no plan to it!
                  >I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I
                  >used it I think about 8 years ago.

                  Wow! You have been around for awhile "old timer!" :)

                  >I just would love it if has syntax highlighting.

                  Yes, we certainly understand. I have seen the system that Don
                  mentioned and you do have to launch it in your browser just like
                  you would for an HTML page, but it is pretty slick! I do not know
                  when it will be announced, if there will be a charge for it, or
                  if it will be integrated into NoteTab. I had more here, but
                  snipped it out seeing that this is on the Basic list and not
                  OffTopic. ;)

                  Not that this helps, but it is in the Help file as far as upgrade
                  costs go...

                  "Major upgrades (version 5.*, 6.*, etc.) are available to
                  registered users of previous versions at a 50% discount. However,
                  the upgrade is free for those who purchased the corresponding
                  version of NoteTab 120 days prior to the release of a major
                  upgrade."

                  So, because of that, nobody will ever have to pay more than 50%
                  once for version 5 and once for version 6. Version 4.011 was out
                  in early 1998. It's been close to a decade now and maybe more
                  since there was an upgrade fee. I understand that some of you
                  would gladly send in $50.00-$100.00 to have syntax highlighting
                  added. If it were possible at this time, it certainly would be
                  added. It is not even a possibility in this input control. Eric
                  said that it would cause great degradation and he just
                  couldn't/won't do it in this input control. That means that it
                  would take a total program re-write to add syntax highlighting.

                  Happy Tab'n,

                • Lou
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 7 5:05 AM
                    Hi,
                    I see lots of questions about NTO v5 but seem to have missed any
                    announcement of shipping date.

                    Did I miss it?

                    Warm Regards,
                    Lou
                    Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.