Re: [NTO] v5 will be FREE to V4 users?

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2006
      Hi Josh, John, Others...

      I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
      a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
      told me and what he believed at the time.

      However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
      specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
      happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
      going to charge an upgrade fee. I *may be* 50% of the new cost
      for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.

      V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
      now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
      could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.

      The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
      of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
      to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
      do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
      NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
      NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
      at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
      this time.

      So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
      highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
      to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
      columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(

      V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
      (PCRE ?) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
      added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
      including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
      being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
      Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.

      >On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
      >> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5 just so
      >> I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered user. It's been so
      >> long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no idea how I became a
      >> registered user originally. I know I paid for it, but that's all I
      >> remember.
      >>
      >> John
      >>
      > Josh Simmons wrote:
      >While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
      >remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't recall
      >ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note tab has
      >made things allot easier for me in terms of organization of text
      >files, and I use it for all my web coding (ASM for
      >microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the clipbook I
      >made). It has worked quite well for me, with only minor issues
      >for such a full-featured editor, and I would have no complaints
      >about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be quite happy to
      >receive it free. :)

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2006
        Hello Josh, John, Others...

        This is a correction of a typo in the second paragraph below. It
        read, "I *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
        unsure about any pricing at this time." The "I" should have been
        "It" and I corrected it below and directly below I made it say:

        It *may be* 50% of the new cost for new buyers, but we are
        unsure about any pricing at this time.

        >I realize that I posted in the past that there would probably be
        >a free upgrade to version 5 of NoteTab. I based that on what Eric
        >told me and what he believed at the time.
        >
        >However, due to a change in major plans about NoteTab and
        >specifically a total rewrite of the program (probably not
        >happening, at least for a long, long time) we are now probably
        >going to charge an upgrade fee. It *may be* 50% of the new cost
        >for new buyers, but we are unsure about any pricing at this time.
        >
        >V4 users have been receiving free upgrades for about 8-10 years
        >now. The program has grown tremendously during that time. We
        >could have easily been up to v7 by now charging 3 upgrade fees.
        >
        >The good news about v5 though is that Eric Fookes, the developer
        >of NoteTab, has upgraded his code to Delphi 6 (?) which he uses
        >to program NoteTab with. That means that he will be encouraged to
        >do more programming using the same input control in NoteTab. (See
        >NoteTab | Glossary for terms you do not understand.) He uses
        >NoteTab a whole lot, so the program is not in the plans to to die
        >at all; unthinkable as far as Fookes Software is concerned at
        >this time.
        >
        >So, we will see more features coming, but unfortunately the
        >highly requested customizable syntax highlighting will not come
        >to be nor the better blocking tool for working with
        >columns/blocks/fields of data anytime soon or maybe not at all. :(
        >
        >V5 already has a much further advanced Regular Expression engine
        >(PCRE) for those that use RegExp. Some features will perhaps be
        >added to v5 for its first release. It fixes a number of bugs
        >including the compatibility with WinXP and user accounts, not
        >being able to change settings and opening more than one file from
        >Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and/or long file paths.
        >
        >>On 5/9/06, John Zeman <john041650@...> wrote:
        >>> My personal opinion is I'd rather pay an upgrade fee for V5
        >>> just so I'd finally have some proof that I am a registered
        >>> user. It's been so long since I bought NoteTab V4 I have no
        >>> idea how I became a registered user originally. I know I paid
        >>> for it, but that's all I remember.
        >>>
        >>> John
        >>>
        >> Josh Simmons wrote:
        >> While I basically agree with this, I purchased Pro I can't even
        >> remember how long ago at version 4.9 something, and can't
        >> recall ever seeing an update, but this not a complaint. Note
        >> tab has made things allot easier for me in terms of
        >> organization of text files, and I use it for all my web coding
        >> (ASM for microcontrollers too, though I seem to have lost the
        >> clipbook I made). It has worked quite well for me, with only
        >> minor issues for such a full-featured editor, and I would have
        >> no complaints about paying an upgrade fee, but I'd still be
        >> quite happy to receive it free. :)

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        All Fookes Software discussion mailing lists with brief
        description of lists and easy sign-on/off...
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com (Subscribe)
      • Brian Binder
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
          I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been out
          forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I purchased it so
          long ago I can't find the email for it. I probably deleted in on
          accident. :P

          I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as I've been
          anticipating it for quite some time now.
        • fw7oaks
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
            Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
            modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
            example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.

            Regards

            fw

            --- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:

            > I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been out
            > forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I purchased it
            > so
            > long ago I can't find the email for it. I probably deleted in on
            > accident. :P
            >
            > I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as I've
            > been
            > anticipating it for quite some time now.

          • websitemgrs
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, fw7oaks <fw7oaks@...> wrote:

              > Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
              > modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
              > example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > fw

              I don't think 50% of $29.95 steep, especially when NTP gets so much
              support. I'm also surprised that in all the time I've been building
              websites with it there's been no upgrade fees. That's been since I
              originally purchased NTP Aug. 31, 1997. Yes I still have the original
              email receipt and it says $19.95 - ok, I'm a receipt and software
              junkie (I still have the original install files plus all the updates
              too).

              So I think that $20 for 9 years of use is an *awesome* deal, wouldn't
              you? Not only that, but the price has only gone up $10 since then.
              There are companies charging triple that PER YEAR for software
              updates. I've tried many of the WYSIWYG programs and would not trade
              NTP for *any* of them.

              Jim
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 26, 2006
                Hi fw,

                >Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
                >modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
                >example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.

                It fixes a number of bugs, adds a new great regular expression
                engine, and more updates sooner because of the code update. Also,
                remember, I mentioned that we are not sure of any pricing yet.
                The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
                don't have to buy it. I'm still using a lot of old programs
                because they do all I need. There's no reason for me to upgrade,
                and also, I find that some programs add a lot of stuff making it
                slower, so I like the older versions better. NoteTab has not
                slowed any, but I think it is a tad bit faster.

                I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
                long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
                board with? I paid $5.00 for NoteTab Pro when it first came out
                many, many years ago. ;)

                >fw
                >
                >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
                >
                >> I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been
                >> out forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I
                >> purchased it so long ago I can't find the email for it. I
                >> probably deleted in on accident. :P
                >>
                >> I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as
                >> I've been anticipating it for quite some time now.

                Happy Tab'n,

              • fw7oaks
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 27, 2006
                  Hi Jody,

                  [snip]

                  > The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
                  > don't have to buy it.

                  That's very true.

                  [snip]

                  > I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
                  > long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
                  > board with?

                  House rule number one around here, anybody can ask anything: just
                  don't always expect an answer. About a month, 4.95. However the
                  answer needs qualifying, I first tried NTP years ago, version three
                  something. I didn't feel happy with it but each time I built myself a
                  new computer I downloaded a copy to see how 'we' are coming along.
                  This time my software skills have improved, as has NTP, and I came on
                  board.

                  Regards

                  fw
                • Luis Lobo Borobia
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
                    Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's no
                    plan to it!
                    I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I used it
                    I think about 8 years ago.

                    I just would love it if has syntax highlighting. I hate having to open
                    EditPlus just to edit some asp files.

                    Thnks!

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote:

                    > Hi fw,
                    >
                    > >Just because the programing platform has changed to something more
                    > >modern the benefits for us users now seem minimal, no Unicode for
                    > >example. I hope the upgrade fee will reflect this: 50% seems steep.
                    >
                    > It fixes a number of bugs, adds a new great regular expression
                    > engine, and more updates sooner because of the code update. Also,
                    > remember, I mentioned that we are not sure of any pricing yet.
                    > The bottom line is if you do not like the upgrade fee, then you
                    > don't have to buy it. I'm still using a lot of old programs
                    > because they do all I need. There's no reason for me to upgrade,
                    > and also, I find that some programs add a lot of stuff making it
                    > slower, so I like the older versions better. NoteTab has not
                    > slowed any, but I think it is a tad bit faster.
                    >
                    > I'm just curious and you certainly don't have to reply, but how
                    > long have you been using NoteTab; what version did you come on
                    > board with? I paid $5.00 for NoteTab Pro when it first came out
                    > many, many years ago. ;)
                    >
                    > >fw
                    > >
                    > >--- Brian Binder <brian.binder@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> I expected to have to pay for an upgrade fee since 4 has been
                    > >> out forever. I'm in the same boat with the purchasing. I
                    > >> purchased it so long ago I can't find the email for it. I
                    > >> probably deleted in on accident. :P
                    > >>
                    > >> I'm hoping version 5 brings some nice things to the table, as
                    > >> I've been anticipating it for quite some time now.
                    >

                    > Happy Tab'n,
                    > Jody Adair
                    >
                    > NoteTabbers Assistant Page: http://www.notetab.net
                    > NoteTab FAQ: http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb
                    > Sojourners Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software
                    > Convert to another mail program: http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail
                    > Clean-Funnies dot com: http://www.clean-funnies.com

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 28, 2006
                      Luis Lobo Borobia wrote:
                      > Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's no
                      > plan to it!
                      > I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I used it
                      > I think about 8 years ago.
                      >
                      > I just would love it if has syntax highlighting. I hate having to open
                      > EditPlus just to edit some asp files.
                      >
                      > Thnks!
                      I have recently seen a brilliant clip library that does syntax
                      highlighting in your browser in most languages. I am hopeful it is
                      generally released ... we'll see :-)
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 29, 2006
                        Hi Luis,

                        >Too bad there will be no syntax highlighting and too bad there's
                        >no plan to it!
                        >I love notetab pro, I use it every day since the first time I
                        >used it I think about 8 years ago.

                        Wow! You have been around for awhile "old timer!" :)

                        >I just would love it if has syntax highlighting.

                        Yes, we certainly understand. I have seen the system that Don
                        mentioned and you do have to launch it in your browser just like
                        you would for an HTML page, but it is pretty slick! I do not know
                        when it will be announced, if there will be a charge for it, or
                        if it will be integrated into NoteTab. I had more here, but
                        snipped it out seeing that this is on the Basic list and not
                        OffTopic. ;)

                        Not that this helps, but it is in the Help file as far as upgrade
                        costs go...

                        "Major upgrades (version 5.*, 6.*, etc.) are available to
                        registered users of previous versions at a 50% discount. However,
                        the upgrade is free for those who purchased the corresponding
                        version of NoteTab 120 days prior to the release of a major
                        upgrade."

                        So, because of that, nobody will ever have to pay more than 50%
                        once for version 5 and once for version 6. Version 4.011 was out
                        in early 1998. It's been close to a decade now and maybe more
                        since there was an upgrade fee. I understand that some of you
                        would gladly send in $50.00-$100.00 to have syntax highlighting
                        added. If it were possible at this time, it certainly would be
                        added. It is not even a possibility in this input control. Eric
                        said that it would cause great degradation and he just
                        couldn't/won't do it in this input control. That means that it
                        would take a total program re-write to add syntax highlighting.

                        Happy Tab'n,

                      • Lou
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7 5:05 AM
                          Hi,
                          I see lots of questions about NTO v5 but seem to have missed any
                          announcement of shipping date.

                          Did I miss it?

                          Warm Regards,
                          Lou
                          Save the earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.