Re: [NTB] Re: Insert tag has "funny" characters

  • Jeff Scism
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
      No the symbols are usually associate with the number %20 and are a code
      used to"fill" spaces in web addresses, it is usually best to avoid
      addresses which have spaces in them. Some people substitute _ where a
      space is, and others use - but if the void is in the file name on the
      server, it shows up that way.

      ~~

      Jeffery Scism,
      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
      NC/NE region

      CAHansen1 wrote:

      >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "CAHansen1" <cahansen1@...> wrote:
      >

      >>I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
      >>have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
      >>document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
      >>with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
      >>in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
      >>Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
      >>something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?
      >>
      >>Thanks.
      >>

      >Hello??? Is this question unworthy of a response?

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Don Daugherty
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
        CAHansen1 wrote:
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "CAHansen1" <cahansen1@...> wrote:
        >
        >> I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
        >> have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
        >> document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
        >> with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
        >> in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
        >> Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
        >> something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?
        >>
        >> Thanks.

        Not many people seem to be reading email right now, and I accidently
        deleted it with other threads that were finished. The best answer I can
        give you is to say that "it's normal." I think %20 (the number may be
        wrong) is a standard code for the space character. You'll find it used
        by a number of programs working with html. So, regardless of whether
        you and I find it more difficult to read, apparently it's more reliable
        in many program contexts and seems to be fairly standard practice, along
        with similar codes
        for other non-alphanumeric characters. You didn't do anything wrong
        and it's not a program bug.

        Hope this helps.
      • loro
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
          CAHansen1 wrote:
          >Hello??? Is this question unworthy of a response?

          Nah! I think a lot of posts are delayed right now. When they at last arrive
          they end up high up in the mailbox for people who sort by date. Maybe
          that's what happened to your first post.

          About the funny characters - what the others said. Just wanted to add a
          couple of URLs that you may find useful.
          <http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/all.html#link-inconsistent>
          <http://blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm>

          Now we've entered HTML land. Jody, the list owner, wants us to discuss that
          on the special HTML list. If you are writing HTML, maybe you want to join?
          <mailto:ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...>

          Lotta