Re: [NTB] Can't edit text file

  • Keith Johnson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2006
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Don Daugherty <ddaugherty@...> wrote:

      > Keith Johnson wrote:
      > > Hi..I have a text file that note tab will not let me edit. I
      can't add
      > > to it or change anything but I can open it and edit it in note
      pad.
      > > Any ideas? It isn't marked as read only or anything..How do I add
      the
      > > file so someone can try it?..Any Ideas? I have been using this
      program
      > > for all my text files until I had this problem..Thanks..Keithmj
      > >
      > It sounds like NoteTab sees the file as read-only. There are a
      several
      > likely reasons for this:
      > 1. Another program also has (or has had) the file open and has not
      > release control of it for other programs to open and edit. If this
      is
      > the problem, close that program, and try again.
      > 2. The file is not pure ASCII text -- it might be an MS Word .doc
      file
      > or a Unicode file or other type. If the file loads OK, save it
      under a
      > new name, i.e., filename.txt, and edit and resave.
      > 3. Windows may have it marked as read-only. If so change it in
      > Explorer or anywhere else you can look at its properties and
      uncheck the
      > Read-only box if you find it checked.

      Hi all..Thanks for the replies..The file was in a hidden
      folder..Application Data folder and used for Mailwasher Filters..But
      I can edit it in word pad or note pad without any trouble..I still
      haven't figured out why NoteTab won't? Maybe it was made that way? or
      it is just a bug in NoteTab..If I figure it out I will post an
      answer..Cheers...Keithmj
    • loro
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2006
        Keith Johnson wrote:
        >Hi all..Thanks for the replies..The file was in a hidden
        >folder..Application Data folder and used for Mailwasher Filters..But
        >I can edit it in word pad or note pad without any trouble..I still
        >haven't figured out why NoteTab won't? Maybe it was made that way? or
        >it is just a bug in NoteTab..If I figure it out I will post an
        >answer..

        So did you check the encoding? What is it? UTF-8?

        Lotta
      • Keith Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
          "It's probably in Unicode. Look at the status bar what it says.
          If it is Unicode it's made read-only in Notetab, not on disk. You can
          change that at the bottom of the Document menu. Don't edit the document
          in Notetab if it contains other than Ascii characters. Lotta"

          Sorry...but that was one thing I didn't check and that was what it
          was..Should have listened to you in the first place. My wife keeps
          telling me that..What do you expext? I'm a guy.. :-)) Thank you for
          your kind advice...Cheers..Keithmj
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
            > Keith Johnson wrote:
            > >Hi all..Thanks for the replies..The file was in a hidden
            > >folder..Application Data folder and used for Mailwasher Filters..But
            > >I can edit it in word pad or note pad without any trouble..I still
            > >haven't figured out why NoteTab won't? Maybe it was made that way? or
            > >it is just a bug in NoteTab..If I figure it out I will post an
            > >answer..

            If Wordpad and Notepad arte not smart enough to check that hidden bit, but edit the file anyway, then they have a bug, not Notetab.

            Bruce
          • David Smart
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
              I disagree. Hidden does not equate to read-only.

              Regards, Dave S

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2006
                Hi David, Bruce, Keith, Others,

                >I disagree. Hidden does not equate to read-only.

                That is true of course. Bruce was probably just in a hurry or
                oversight I'm sure. ;)

                The difference between NoteTab and the other editors is that if
                NoteTab detects a null or binary characters in the file it tries
                to protect you by marking the file read-only. It does not mark
                the disk file attribute as read-only, but just what you see in
                NoteTab. It alerts you to that fact that you might have a binary
                file opened and if you edit it, you very likely will corrupt it
                if it is a true binary file. The other editors, like Notepad,
                will not do that. To understand this better click on View |
                Options | File | F1 or the [Help] button. Read the stuff for the
                three binary features. Oh, some programs and web servers add a
                null character at the end of the file. In a lot of cases in
                NoteTab when the file is opened you can take it out of read-only
                under the document menu and then delete the "replacement"
                character. Save the file and you should be good to go. Be
                absolutely sure it is a text based file such as HTML first and
                until you are really sure about such editing I suggest you have a
                backup. (I suggest you back up your files anyway. ;) Do read Help
                about binary characters though and you might also read what you
                can find in the Glossary under Help about it.

                >Regards, Dave S

                Happy Tab'n,