Insert tag has "funny" characters

  • CAHansen1
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2006
      I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
      have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
      document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
      with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
      in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
      Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
      something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?

      Thanks.
    • CAHansen1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "CAHansen1" <cahansen1@...> wrote:

        > I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
        > have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
        > document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
        > with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
        > in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
        > Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
        > something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?
        >
        > Thanks.

        Hello??? Is this question unworthy of a response?
      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
          No the symbols are usually associate with the number %20 and are a code
          used to"fill" spaces in web addresses, it is usually best to avoid
          addresses which have spaces in them. Some people substitute _ where a
          space is, and others use - but if the void is in the file name on the
          server, it shows up that way.

          ~~

          Jeffery Scism,
          USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
          NC/NE region

          CAHansen1 wrote:

          >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "CAHansen1" <cahansen1@...> wrote:
          >

          >>I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
          >>have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
          >>document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
          >>with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
          >>in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
          >>Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
          >>something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?
          >>
          >>Thanks.
          >>

          >Hello??? Is this question unworthy of a response?

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don Daugherty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
            CAHansen1 wrote:
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "CAHansen1" <cahansen1@...> wrote:
            >
            >> I just started using Notetab and it's a great program. One question I
            >> have involves dragging an image from the Quick List into the HTML
            >> document and automatically having Notetab create the HTML tag complete
            >> with path, size, etc. Why does the created tag have funny characters
            >> in the path? It seems that everywhere there is a space in the path,
            >> Notetab is putting a "%" symbol. Why is this happening? Is this
            >> something I correct, or is it supposed to be that way?
            >>
            >> Thanks.

            Not many people seem to be reading email right now, and I accidently
            deleted it with other threads that were finished. The best answer I can
            give you is to say that "it's normal." I think %20 (the number may be
            wrong) is a standard code for the space character. You'll find it used
            by a number of programs working with html. So, regardless of whether
            you and I find it more difficult to read, apparently it's more reliable
            in many program contexts and seems to be fairly standard practice, along
            with similar codes
            for other non-alphanumeric characters. You didn't do anything wrong
            and it's not a program bug.

            Hope this helps.
          • loro
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
              CAHansen1 wrote:
              >Hello??? Is this question unworthy of a response?

              Nah! I think a lot of posts are delayed right now. When they at last arrive
              they end up high up in the mailbox for people who sort by date. Maybe
              that's what happened to your first post.

              About the funny characters - what the others said. Just wanted to add a
              couple of URLs that you may find useful.
              <http://htmlhelp.com/faq/html/all.html#link-inconsistent>
              <http://blooberry.com/indexdot/html/topics/urlencoding.htm>

              Now we've entered HTML land. Jody, the list owner, wants us to discuss that
              on the special HTML list. If you are writing HTML, maybe you want to join?
              <mailto:ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...>

              Lotta