View-Options freezes the screen

  • byzant98
    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      Whenever I open Notetab Pro, the program seems to change the moniter
      resolution so that some of the images on the Windows taskbar are
      blurry. I thought I might find what is going on by looking under
      View-Options in Notetab, but when I click Options, the program
      freezes and I have to close it down. Is this a bug in Notetab Pro?
    • loro
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2006
        byzant98 wrote:
        >Whenever I open Notetab Pro, the program seems to change the moniter
        >resolution so that some of the images on the Windows taskbar are
        >blurry. I thought I might find what is going on by looking under
        >View-Options in Notetab, but when I click Options, the program
        >freezes and I have to close it down. Is this a bug in Notetab Pro?

        A far shot - could it be that you have a very large file open in Notetab?
        Maybe one you have forgotten about?

        Lotta
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2006
          Hi byzant98,

          >Whenever I open Notetab Pro, the program seems to change the
          >monitor resolution so that some of the images on the Windows
          >taskbar are blurry. I thought I might find what is going on by
          >looking under View-Options in Notetab, but when I click Options,
          >the program freezes and I have to close it down. Is this a bug in
          >Notetab Pro?

          Those errors are usually due to low resources although it
          normally happens at startup of NoteTab. Sometimes they may be
          caused by certain file(s). It/they may open fine a few at a
          time, but when trying to load them all on startup is a different
          matter. If you get error messages like Win32 API, TClipbookList,
          Exception EWin32Error, NoteTab freezes, or seems to freeze up
          (which might be loading many MB) sometimes it can happen on
          startup because you had too many large documents to reload from
          when you last had NoteTab open. (Sometimes a reboot takes care
          of it if you have not done that yet, or closing other programs
          that may open when you start up Windows.)

          You may need to remove the files from NoteTab Pro's ini file;
          NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Try opening an editor that
          will read text documents like Notepad or Wordpad and open
          NotePro.ini found in its main folder. Scroll down till you get
          to the [Autoload] section and remove all the paths to the files
          to reload on startup. You might want to try it from a fresh
          Windows boot up as well. You can copy the file paths/names so
          that you can open the same files again easier when you get
          NoteTab running.

          You may edit the INI file inside NoteTab if you are able to open
          it. Simply save the file with an exclamation mark (!NotePro.ini
          or !NoteTab.ini; Pro or Std/Light respectively) in front of it
          and restart NoteTab. Some programs have memory leaks in them as
          well as some Windows versions like WinME/Win98. Some programs do
          not release all the memory they were using while open. That can
          add up to not having enough memory for programs to start causing
          all kinds of errors.

          More information about memory:

          Windows has basically three types of memories: RAM, Virtual
          Memory (your hard disk), and a small section of RAM used for
          storing Windows object handles. When Windows runs out of system
          resources, it may have plenty of RAM left, but it runs out of
          space for storing handles. This is often when funny things start
          happening like the tab bar displaying blank tabs, or the Toolbar
          showing no icons.

          Only libraries open in the Clipbook window will occupy RAM. The
          more items, and the larger the Clips, the more RAM it uses up.
          Running Clips that create variables will take another chunk from
          RAM. Closing the Clipbook window will free several handles which
          occupy the third type of memory.

          Some things in NoteTab can cause extra memory to be used are:
          Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
          of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM.

          A large Undo limit size. What is considered large is largely
          dependant on how many documents you open. Should rarely be a
          problem if you open less than 50 documents at a time.

          Happy Tab'n,