Re: [NTB] Corrupted NoteTab...

  • loro
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2006
      Midgie wrote:
      > > I recommend updating. Go to the Fookes download site and get the latest
      > > edition. Lots of bugs corrected and new features added. If that's a
      > > legal copy you have installed the new version will install over it.
      > > It's version is up to 4.95 at present

      >Well... maybe,,,,
      >Is that still beta?

      Not very! <VBG>
      No, it's old and tried. I don't know what causes your problem, but I also
      recommend that you upgrade. No reason not to and with a little luck the
      problem goes away.

      Lotta
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2006
        Midgie wrote:
        > Well... maybe,,,,
        > Is that still beta?
        >
        > Would almost prefer to go back to the older version as what I need is
        > dependability and have no need for all the whistles and perks...
        >
        > Thanks for replying!
        >
        > Geneva

        Midgie,

        No, V4.95 is no beta, it is the most recent and stable version so far.
        As for the bells and whistles, you probably won't notice them if you
        don't go looking for them.

        Generally, IMO, new versions are built to, fix bugs enhancing the
        product for the established user base ,add new features for current
        users and to appeal to new users and, hopefully, the ensuing financial
        reward.

        If you're worried about updating just save your current install package
        or move/rename the executable Notetab.exe so you can regress to your
        current version, v4.7. Basically swapping the executable is all you
        need do to switch versions.

        ºvº
        06.05.08_06.28
        "Cooking I; Bringing Back Bacon, Eggs and Butter."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Midgie
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2006
          Woops...
          Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using.... Don't know
          that the program itself is responsible for this - as I always have it out
          and use in every day for taking notes, saving stuff etc.... But I have had
          many sudden shutdowns the past several months due to power outages..
          Suspect that that is what corrupted the program, but it never affected
          anything else that was open at the time..... Also the first corruption was
          right after I installed another clip....

          I just went and re-downloaded, in case the exe I have is somehow damaged.
          Also wondering if there is a chance of getting an older version
          somewhere.......
          OldVersions.com does not have it.....

          I saved the ini file this time and did not have to re-setup everything !!
          Thanks for the tip on the exe!

          NoteTab is one outstanding program and I recommend it to every pc user I
          know :o)

          geneva

          On 5/8/06, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

          > Midgie wrote:
          > > Well... maybe,,,,
          > > Is that still beta?
          > >
          > > Would almost prefer to go back to the older version as what I need is
          > > dependability and have no need for all the whistles and perks...
          > >
          > > Thanks for replying!
          > >
          > > Geneva
          >
          > Midgie,
          >
          > No, V4.95 is no beta, it is the most recent and stable version so far.
          > As for the bells and whistles, you probably won't notice them if you
          > don't go looking for them.
          >
          > Generally, IMO, new versions are built to, fix bugs enhancing the
          > product for the established user base ,add new features for current
          > users and to appeal to new users and, hopefully, the ensuing financial
          > reward.
          >
          > If you're worried about updating just save your current install package
          > or move/rename the executable Notetab.exe so you can regress to your
          > current version, v4.7. Basically swapping the executable is all you
          > need do to switch versions.
          >
          > ºvº
          > 06.05.08_06.28
          > "Cooking I; Bringing Back Bacon, Eggs and Butter."
          > hrs ø hsavage@...

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Al (Alvaro) Guevara
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2006
            What about lookin at a quality Powersupply from APC ? 6 pluggers can be had for under $50 if you shop.
            Also, whats is the big deal with spending $10 bucks for the latest version?
            Support ppl who make quality software, I'd gladly pay $30 - $40 for NoteTab, its that good.
            And dont know why he kepps it priced so low.

            Al

            ***** REPLY SEPARATOR ***** REPLY SEPARATOR *****

            ***** END SEPARATOR ***** END SEPARATOR *****

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2006
              Midgie wrote:
              > Woops...
              > Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using.... But I
              have had
              > many sudden shutdowns the past several months due to power outages..

              > Suspect that is what corrupted the program, but it never affected
              > anything else that was open at the time..... Also the first
              corruption was
              > right after I installed another clip....

              Was the new clip large and involved and does it only produce the error
              when running that clip?

              Another thing to consider, an app that's open and idle has little chance
              to corrupt anything, as you use NoteTab all the time, the probabilities
              suggest NoteTab may have been working when an interruption occurred.

              > I just went and re-downloaded, in case the exe I have is somehow damaged.
              > Also wondering if there is a chance of getting an older version
              > somewhere.......
              > OldVersions.com does not have it.....
              >
              > I saved the ini file this time and did not have to re-setup
              everything !!
              > Thanks for the tip on the exe!
              >
              > NoteTab is one outstanding program and I recommend it to every pc user I
              > know :o)
              >
              > geneva

              geneva,

              Hope the new install does it, otherwise try the following advice from a
              previous response I gave.

              And, if you haven't already tried it you can load NoteTab/NotePro.ini
              into the edit window, save it, with a leading exclamation point as
              !NoteTab.ini, completely shut down NoteTab and
              restart it.

              NoteTab will use the !NoteTab.ini file with the leading exclamation
              point instead of NoteTab.ini, I'm not sure why this helps at times,
              maybe because it reconstructs the ini file and may correct some
              erroneous entries in the ini file.

              ºvº
              06.05.08_11.10
              "Communication Skills II; Thinking Before Speaking."
              hrs ø hsavage@...
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                Hi Al, Geneva, and Others,

                >Also, whats is the big deal with spending $10 bucks for the latest version?
                >Support ppl who make quality software, I'd gladly pay $30 - $40
                >for NoteTab, its that good. And dont know why he kepps it priced
                >so low.

                It is $9.95 for Std and $19.95 for Pro. The price will be going
                up when v5 is released. It will be free upgrades for registered
                users of at least v4.95 which is free for all users of v4.0 and
                higher. So, now is the time to buy if you plan on buying in the
                near future. Sometimes it pays to be on our discussion lists. ;)
                I do *not* know what the new price will be.

                The new Perl based regular expression search engine is now
                getting the focus of the testing on v5. It is much improved, but
                needs a little work. It is a third party product.

                >> Woops...
                >> Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using....
                >> Don't know that the program itself is responsible for this - as
                >> I always have it out and use in every day for taking notes,
                >> saving stuff etc.... But I have had many sudden shutdowns the
                >> past several months due to power outages.

                If files get corrupted because you loose your AC power, I don't
                believe you can blame that on anybody except maybe the power
                company. ;)

                Off topic and needs to be taken to Off Topic list (see below) if
                you want to talk about the weather. :)
                I've seen programs get corrupted from shutting down Windows and
                not shutting down the programs first. At least a long time ago it
                was like that. I got in the habit of closing most all my programs
                before shutting down Windows since then. I think Windows is
                suppose to gracefully shut them down now during a normal, but not
                sure. If your power is bouncing up/down every couple minutes and
                killing your computer, I would turn it off until the problem
                quits. Definitely during an electrical storm. It's real easy to
                fry modems especially during lightening storms.

                Happy Topics,
                Jody

                The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
              • Midgie
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                  OK
                  Dammmmmm!

                  That was just a guess at the cause Jody!

                  After replacing just now - it was doing it again!!!!

                  So I tossed it again, inc all the stuff that windows did not toss - and
                  reset up (big pia) with the freshly d/l NT...

                  STILL DOING IT!!

                  Discovered the problem is WORD WRAP.......
                  Stuff is not disappearing but the joined lines of a selected paragraph runs
                  so far off screen (a single line) that it appears all else is gone!!!

                  Just read there is a problem with word wrap!!!
                  Never used the toggle thing - but just before this happened changed wrap to
                  70 - to 60.... then changed it back................... That did something
                  to the prog, but why it is still in effect with a new app I cannot guess....

                  Since I use that all the time and if I cannot use it it makes the utility
                  useless to me - need to find a way to get it back to wrap......

                  I have tried everything I could find in the program!!!!

                  Geneva

                • Jeff Scism
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                    I 'think" the wrapping problem somehow is saved into teh document, try
                    pasting it off to a new doc and saving it, after deleting the old one
                    (OR save under a different file name for safety) Then try to work on the
                    new copy. That would indicate whether otr bnot something about THAT doc
                    is at fault, or a system wide bug.

                    ~~

                    Jeffery Scism,
                    USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                    NC/NE region

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                      Hi Geneva,

                      >So I tossed it again, inc all the stuff that windows did not toss - and
                      >reset up (big pia) with the freshly d/l NT...
                      >
                      >STILL DOING IT!!
                      >
                      >Discovered the problem is WORD WRAP.......
                      >Stuff is not disappearing but the joined lines of a selected
                      >paragraph runs so far off screen (a single line) that it appears
                      >all else is gone!!!
                      >
                      >Just read there is a problem with word wrap!!!
                      >Never used the toggle thing - but just before this happened
                      >changed wrap to 70 - to 60.... then changed it
                      >back................... That did something to the prog, but why
                      >it is still in effect with a new app I cannot guess....

                      My guess is that you are using your old INI file, NoteTab.ini for
                      Light and Std and NotePro.ini for Pro. You most likely have Wrap
                      to Column set for 70. In Std/Light, you need to use the Update
                      Column Wrap under (I think) the Document menu. That alone would
                      force me to buy the Pro version. <g>

                      >Since I use that all the time and if I cannot use it it makes the
                      >utility useless to me - need to find a way to get it back to
                      >wrap......

                      Anyway... You need to go into Options under the Documents tab and
                      uncheck ""Wrap to Column" and check Word Wrap. That will setup
                      Word Wrap for you in all new documents made. For the existing
                      documents you have to change them one by one opening them and
                      then click on the document menu and then Properties. Do the same
                      there as above for every file. (There may be an easier way by
                      editing the NoteTab.fpr file, but I don't have time to study it
                      to figure out which fields set what.) This is from my PasteBack
                      Clip for "doc". ;) ...

                      There are two settings for documents:

                      One is in View | Options | Documents... It controls the properties
                      or settings if you will for all new documents. For instance, when
                      you click on the New Document icon on the Toolbar (Ctrl+N, or File
                      | New...).

                      The second is off the main menu under Document | Properties...
                      It controls each document's settings, that is, the one you have
                      focused in NoteTab.

                      So, for an existing file you want to change the properties for
                      that document in Document | Properties off the main menu. The
                      properties for the focused file override the settings made in
                      Options for all new documents. The settings are stored in
                      NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and
                      remembered between NoteTab sessions.

                      To easily switch documents settings to what you have them set for
                      in Options | Documents (your default), click on the Document menu
                      and then on Default Properties.

                      Happy Tab'n,

                    • Midgie
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                        Morning Jody..

                        Well I got it resolved last night, but I had tossed that ini.
                        I had tried what you suggest but still kept doing it in that one big file I
                        was editing when this started....but by experimenting with stuff pasted in
                        new files I found that by unchecking *wrap to 70* and checking *save
                        position and size* the pasted stuff wrapped in a new file and join worked -
                        but not in the big one I wanted - and I could not change it - so I just
                        copy/pasted the whole file into a fresh page and saved it and now it works..

                        I figured that that whole file had somehow become a template - in fact when
                        discarding the previous program I noticed dozens of templates in the NT
                        folder - I opened a few and they were previous files I had edited and saved
                        elsewhere! Now I had never asked the prog to create templates so I cannot
                        figure that! And it apparently did not do it with every file - as I have
                        edited hundreds, not dozens <g> So I am wondering what is up with that??

                        Anyhow it now works and I suggest that no one mess with the wrap in the
                        prog....lol

                        Thanks for your time...

                        Geneva

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                          Hi Midgie,

                          >I figured that that whole file had somehow become a template - in fact when
                          >discarding the previous program I noticed dozens of templates in the NT
                          >folder - I opened a few and they were previous files I had edited and saved
                          >elsewhere! Now I had never asked the prog to create templates so I cannot
                          >figure that! And it apparently did not do it with every file - as I have
                          >edited hundreds, not dozens <g> So I am wondering what is up with that??

                          Beats me, but check to make sure you don't have Make Backups checked, or
                          maybe you had it checked at one time.

                          >Anyhow it now works and I suggest that no one mess with the wrap in the
                          >prog....lol

                          haha. It works fine once you figure it the two settings for the
                          settings; one being for each document and one global for all new
                          documents. Open Centered doesn't have anything to do with word
                          wrap, although if you have wrap to column checked and your column
                          setting is larger than the Normal screen size that you have
                          NoteTab opening too, then the lines could get that long line -
                          short line effect.

                          Here's a tip on the window size being remembered...

                          1. Resize and adjust the program window where you want it.
                          2. Click on the program icon located on Titlebar (upper left).
                          3. Uncheck "Open Centered" if checked.
                          4. Click on the program icon again.
                          5. Click on "Save Window State" (which does not get a check mark).
                          6. Restart NoteTab at this time.

                          Tip: You can right click on the Titlebar for the same menu as above
                          or press the Alt key and then the spacebar while holding Alt down
                          (Alt+Spacebar). Simply pressing Alt alone will collapse the menu
                          once opened or clicking in a "non-clickable" area of your screen.

                          Happy Tab'n,