Re: [NTB] Corrupted NoteTab...

  • Midgie
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2006
      Well... maybe,,,,
      Is that still beta?

      Would almost prefer to go back to the older version as what I need is
      dependability and have no need for all the whistles and perks...

      Thanks for replying!

      Geneva

      On 5/7/06, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > I recommend updating. Go to the Fookes download site and get the latest
      > edition. Lots of bugs corrected and new features added. If that's a
      > legal copy you have installed the new version will install over it.
      > It's version is up to 4.95 at present

    • loro
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2006
        Midgie wrote:
        > > I recommend updating. Go to the Fookes download site and get the latest
        > > edition. Lots of bugs corrected and new features added. If that's a
        > > legal copy you have installed the new version will install over it.
        > > It's version is up to 4.95 at present

        >Well... maybe,,,,
        >Is that still beta?

        Not very! <VBG>
        No, it's old and tried. I don't know what causes your problem, but I also
        recommend that you upgrade. No reason not to and with a little luck the
        problem goes away.

        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2006
          Midgie wrote:
          > Well... maybe,,,,
          > Is that still beta?
          >
          > Would almost prefer to go back to the older version as what I need is
          > dependability and have no need for all the whistles and perks...
          >
          > Thanks for replying!
          >
          > Geneva

          Midgie,

          No, V4.95 is no beta, it is the most recent and stable version so far.
          As for the bells and whistles, you probably won't notice them if you
          don't go looking for them.

          Generally, IMO, new versions are built to, fix bugs enhancing the
          product for the established user base ,add new features for current
          users and to appeal to new users and, hopefully, the ensuing financial
          reward.

          If you're worried about updating just save your current install package
          or move/rename the executable Notetab.exe so you can regress to your
          current version, v4.7. Basically swapping the executable is all you
          need do to switch versions.

          ºvº
          06.05.08_06.28
          "Cooking I; Bringing Back Bacon, Eggs and Butter."
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Midgie
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2006
            Woops...
            Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using.... Don't know
            that the program itself is responsible for this - as I always have it out
            and use in every day for taking notes, saving stuff etc.... But I have had
            many sudden shutdowns the past several months due to power outages..
            Suspect that that is what corrupted the program, but it never affected
            anything else that was open at the time..... Also the first corruption was
            right after I installed another clip....

            I just went and re-downloaded, in case the exe I have is somehow damaged.
            Also wondering if there is a chance of getting an older version
            somewhere.......
            OldVersions.com does not have it.....

            I saved the ini file this time and did not have to re-setup everything !!
            Thanks for the tip on the exe!

            NoteTab is one outstanding program and I recommend it to every pc user I
            know :o)

            geneva

            On 5/8/06, hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

            > Midgie wrote:
            > > Well... maybe,,,,
            > > Is that still beta?
            > >
            > > Would almost prefer to go back to the older version as what I need is
            > > dependability and have no need for all the whistles and perks...
            > >
            > > Thanks for replying!
            > >
            > > Geneva
            >
            > Midgie,
            >
            > No, V4.95 is no beta, it is the most recent and stable version so far.
            > As for the bells and whistles, you probably won't notice them if you
            > don't go looking for them.
            >
            > Generally, IMO, new versions are built to, fix bugs enhancing the
            > product for the established user base ,add new features for current
            > users and to appeal to new users and, hopefully, the ensuing financial
            > reward.
            >
            > If you're worried about updating just save your current install package
            > or move/rename the executable Notetab.exe so you can regress to your
            > current version, v4.7. Basically swapping the executable is all you
            > need do to switch versions.
            >
            > ºvº
            > 06.05.08_06.28
            > "Cooking I; Bringing Back Bacon, Eggs and Butter."
            > hrs ø hsavage@...

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Al (Alvaro) Guevara
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2006
              What about lookin at a quality Powersupply from APC ? 6 pluggers can be had for under $50 if you shop.
              Also, whats is the big deal with spending $10 bucks for the latest version?
              Support ppl who make quality software, I'd gladly pay $30 - $40 for NoteTab, its that good.
              And dont know why he kepps it priced so low.

              Al

              ***** REPLY SEPARATOR ***** REPLY SEPARATOR *****

              ***** END SEPARATOR ***** END SEPARATOR *****

            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                Midgie wrote:
                > Woops...
                > Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using.... But I
                have had
                > many sudden shutdowns the past several months due to power outages..

                > Suspect that is what corrupted the program, but it never affected
                > anything else that was open at the time..... Also the first
                corruption was
                > right after I installed another clip....

                Was the new clip large and involved and does it only produce the error
                when running that clip?

                Another thing to consider, an app that's open and idle has little chance
                to corrupt anything, as you use NoteTab all the time, the probabilities
                suggest NoteTab may have been working when an interruption occurred.

                > I just went and re-downloaded, in case the exe I have is somehow damaged.
                > Also wondering if there is a chance of getting an older version
                > somewhere.......
                > OldVersions.com does not have it.....
                >
                > I saved the ini file this time and did not have to re-setup
                everything !!
                > Thanks for the tip on the exe!
                >
                > NoteTab is one outstanding program and I recommend it to every pc user I
                > know :o)
                >
                > geneva

                geneva,

                Hope the new install does it, otherwise try the following advice from a
                previous response I gave.

                And, if you haven't already tried it you can load NoteTab/NotePro.ini
                into the edit window, save it, with a leading exclamation point as
                !NoteTab.ini, completely shut down NoteTab and
                restart it.

                NoteTab will use the !NoteTab.ini file with the leading exclamation
                point instead of NoteTab.ini, I'm not sure why this helps at times,
                maybe because it reconstructs the ini file and may correct some
                erroneous entries in the ini file.

                ºvº
                06.05.08_11.10
                "Communication Skills II; Thinking Before Speaking."
                hrs ø hsavage@...
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                  Hi Al, Geneva, and Others,

                  >Also, whats is the big deal with spending $10 bucks for the latest version?
                  >Support ppl who make quality software, I'd gladly pay $30 - $40
                  >for NoteTab, its that good. And dont know why he kepps it priced
                  >so low.

                  It is $9.95 for Std and $19.95 for Pro. The price will be going
                  up when v5 is released. It will be free upgrades for registered
                  users of at least v4.95 which is free for all users of v4.0 and
                  higher. So, now is the time to buy if you plan on buying in the
                  near future. Sometimes it pays to be on our discussion lists. ;)
                  I do *not* know what the new price will be.

                  The new Perl based regular expression search engine is now
                  getting the focus of the testing on v5. It is much improved, but
                  needs a little work. It is a third party product.

                  >> Woops...
                  >> Went back and looked and It is 4.95 that I have been using....
                  >> Don't know that the program itself is responsible for this - as
                  >> I always have it out and use in every day for taking notes,
                  >> saving stuff etc.... But I have had many sudden shutdowns the
                  >> past several months due to power outages.

                  If files get corrupted because you loose your AC power, I don't
                  believe you can blame that on anybody except maybe the power
                  company. ;)

                  Off topic and needs to be taken to Off Topic list (see below) if
                  you want to talk about the weather. :)
                  I've seen programs get corrupted from shutting down Windows and
                  not shutting down the programs first. At least a long time ago it
                  was like that. I got in the habit of closing most all my programs
                  before shutting down Windows since then. I think Windows is
                  suppose to gracefully shut them down now during a normal, but not
                  sure. If your power is bouncing up/down every couple minutes and
                  killing your computer, I would turn it off until the problem
                  quits. Definitely during an electrical storm. It's real easy to
                  fry modems especially during lightening storms.

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                  http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                • Midgie
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                    OK
                    Dammmmmm!

                    That was just a guess at the cause Jody!

                    After replacing just now - it was doing it again!!!!

                    So I tossed it again, inc all the stuff that windows did not toss - and
                    reset up (big pia) with the freshly d/l NT...

                    STILL DOING IT!!

                    Discovered the problem is WORD WRAP.......
                    Stuff is not disappearing but the joined lines of a selected paragraph runs
                    so far off screen (a single line) that it appears all else is gone!!!

                    Just read there is a problem with word wrap!!!
                    Never used the toggle thing - but just before this happened changed wrap to
                    70 - to 60.... then changed it back................... That did something
                    to the prog, but why it is still in effect with a new app I cannot guess....

                    Since I use that all the time and if I cannot use it it makes the utility
                    useless to me - need to find a way to get it back to wrap......

                    I have tried everything I could find in the program!!!!

                    Geneva

                  • Jeff Scism
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2006
                      I 'think" the wrapping problem somehow is saved into teh document, try
                      pasting it off to a new doc and saving it, after deleting the old one
                      (OR save under a different file name for safety) Then try to work on the
                      new copy. That would indicate whether otr bnot something about THAT doc
                      is at fault, or a system wide bug.

                      ~~

                      Jeffery Scism,
                      USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
                      NC/NE region

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                        Hi Geneva,

                        >So I tossed it again, inc all the stuff that windows did not toss - and
                        >reset up (big pia) with the freshly d/l NT...
                        >
                        >STILL DOING IT!!
                        >
                        >Discovered the problem is WORD WRAP.......
                        >Stuff is not disappearing but the joined lines of a selected
                        >paragraph runs so far off screen (a single line) that it appears
                        >all else is gone!!!
                        >
                        >Just read there is a problem with word wrap!!!
                        >Never used the toggle thing - but just before this happened
                        >changed wrap to 70 - to 60.... then changed it
                        >back................... That did something to the prog, but why
                        >it is still in effect with a new app I cannot guess....

                        My guess is that you are using your old INI file, NoteTab.ini for
                        Light and Std and NotePro.ini for Pro. You most likely have Wrap
                        to Column set for 70. In Std/Light, you need to use the Update
                        Column Wrap under (I think) the Document menu. That alone would
                        force me to buy the Pro version. <g>

                        >Since I use that all the time and if I cannot use it it makes the
                        >utility useless to me - need to find a way to get it back to
                        >wrap......

                        Anyway... You need to go into Options under the Documents tab and
                        uncheck ""Wrap to Column" and check Word Wrap. That will setup
                        Word Wrap for you in all new documents made. For the existing
                        documents you have to change them one by one opening them and
                        then click on the document menu and then Properties. Do the same
                        there as above for every file. (There may be an easier way by
                        editing the NoteTab.fpr file, but I don't have time to study it
                        to figure out which fields set what.) This is from my PasteBack
                        Clip for "doc". ;) ...

                        There are two settings for documents:

                        One is in View | Options | Documents... It controls the properties
                        or settings if you will for all new documents. For instance, when
                        you click on the New Document icon on the Toolbar (Ctrl+N, or File
                        | New...).

                        The second is off the main menu under Document | Properties...
                        It controls each document's settings, that is, the one you have
                        focused in NoteTab.

                        So, for an existing file you want to change the properties for
                        that document in Document | Properties off the main menu. The
                        properties for the focused file override the settings made in
                        Options for all new documents. The settings are stored in
                        NoteTab's main folder in NoteTab.fpr (NotePro.fpr for Pro) and
                        remembered between NoteTab sessions.

                        To easily switch documents settings to what you have them set for
                        in Options | Documents (your default), click on the Document menu
                        and then on Default Properties.

                        Happy Tab'n,

                      • Midgie
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                          Morning Jody..

                          Well I got it resolved last night, but I had tossed that ini.
                          I had tried what you suggest but still kept doing it in that one big file I
                          was editing when this started....but by experimenting with stuff pasted in
                          new files I found that by unchecking *wrap to 70* and checking *save
                          position and size* the pasted stuff wrapped in a new file and join worked -
                          but not in the big one I wanted - and I could not change it - so I just
                          copy/pasted the whole file into a fresh page and saved it and now it works..

                          I figured that that whole file had somehow become a template - in fact when
                          discarding the previous program I noticed dozens of templates in the NT
                          folder - I opened a few and they were previous files I had edited and saved
                          elsewhere! Now I had never asked the prog to create templates so I cannot
                          figure that! And it apparently did not do it with every file - as I have
                          edited hundreds, not dozens <g> So I am wondering what is up with that??

                          Anyhow it now works and I suggest that no one mess with the wrap in the
                          prog....lol

                          Thanks for your time...

                          Geneva

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2006
                            Hi Midgie,

                            >I figured that that whole file had somehow become a template - in fact when
                            >discarding the previous program I noticed dozens of templates in the NT
                            >folder - I opened a few and they were previous files I had edited and saved
                            >elsewhere! Now I had never asked the prog to create templates so I cannot
                            >figure that! And it apparently did not do it with every file - as I have
                            >edited hundreds, not dozens <g> So I am wondering what is up with that??

                            Beats me, but check to make sure you don't have Make Backups checked, or
                            maybe you had it checked at one time.

                            >Anyhow it now works and I suggest that no one mess with the wrap in the
                            >prog....lol

                            haha. It works fine once you figure it the two settings for the
                            settings; one being for each document and one global for all new
                            documents. Open Centered doesn't have anything to do with word
                            wrap, although if you have wrap to column checked and your column
                            setting is larger than the Normal screen size that you have
                            NoteTab opening too, then the lines could get that long line -
                            short line effect.

                            Here's a tip on the window size being remembered...

                            1. Resize and adjust the program window where you want it.
                            2. Click on the program icon located on Titlebar (upper left).
                            3. Uncheck "Open Centered" if checked.
                            4. Click on the program icon again.
                            5. Click on "Save Window State" (which does not get a check mark).
                            6. Restart NoteTab at this time.

                            Tip: You can right click on the Titlebar for the same menu as above
                            or press the Alt key and then the spacebar while holding Alt down
                            (Alt+Spacebar). Simply pressing Alt alone will collapse the menu
                            once opened or clicking in a "non-clickable" area of your screen.

                            Happy Tab'n,