Click in Notetab causes attempt to open file in browser

  • ideliabar
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2006
      I have suddenly started having a strange problem when working in Notetab.

      To illustrate, suppose that I have typed the above sentence in Notetab
      while working in a file named xyz with this path: C:\My Documents\xyz.

      I left click with the cursor to the right of the word "Notetab" at the
      end of the above sentence so that I can type further at that point.
      The click on blank space causes the word "Notetab" to be highlighted.
      I am then switched over to my default Firefox browser. It has opened
      a new tab with the message: "Firefox can't find the file at C:\My
      Documents\xyz\Notetab."

      I did not make any change in Notetab that might have caused this
      problem. I can't find any Notetab setting that will correct it. It
      happens so often that it is making Notetab unusable.

      Does anyone know what could cause Notetab to try to open a file in the
      default browser with the name of any word that gets highlighted when I
      click in Notetab? And why does a word get highlighted when I click in
      a blank space to the right of the word? This did not happen before.

      I can't find any setting in Notetab to change this. I am using the
      latest version. I experimented with different mouse settings and
      looked for settings in Firefox to change, but I can find nothing
      applicable. The problem must be in Notetab since it does not happen
      in any other text editor or word processor.

      Does anyone know what can cause this problem?
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2006
        Sounds like a MOUSE problem, or possibly mouse driver. I had a similar
        problem a few tears ago, there was a setting that told the computer to
        highlight whole words if I clicked and dragged, your mouse may be
        slightly sticky and may drag a fraction when you right click, causing
        the whole word to be highlighted.

        The open hyperlink function is a part of NoteTab, Control +O, is the
        trigger to open a highlighted section as a hyperlink. (Tools Menu has it
        as a command which can be added to the edit menu that pops up when you
        right click)

        So I would reload my mouse driver, or switch to a different mouse, and
        see if the problem goes away

        ~~

        Jeffery Scism,
        USGenWeb Project Local Coordinator Rep
        NC/NE region

        ideliabar wrote:

        >I have suddenly started having a strange problem when working in Notetab.
        >
        >To illustrate, suppose that I have typed the above sentence in Notetab
        >while working in a file named xyz with this path: C:\My Documents\xyz.
        >
        >I left click with the cursor to the right of the word "Notetab" at the
        >end of the above sentence so that I can type further at that point.
        >The click on blank space causes the word "Notetab" to be highlighted.
        > I am then switched over to my default Firefox browser. It has opened
        >a new tab with the message: "Firefox can't find the file at C:\My
        >Documents\xyz\Notetab."
        >
        >I did not make any change in Notetab that might have caused this
        >problem. I can't find any Notetab setting that will correct it. It
        >happens so often that it is making Notetab unusable.
        >
        >Does anyone know what could cause Notetab to try to open a file in the
        >default browser with the name of any word that gets highlighted when I
        >click in Notetab? And why does a word get highlighted when I click in
        >a blank space to the right of the word? This did not happen before.
        >
        >I can't find any setting in Notetab to change this. I am using the
        >latest version. I experimented with different mouse settings and
        >looked for settings in Firefox to change, but I can find nothing
        >applicable. The problem must be in Notetab since it does not happen
        >in any other text editor or word processor.
        >
        >Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , May 7, 2006
          ideliabar wrote:
          > I have suddenly started having a strange problem when working in Notetab.
          >
          > I left click with the cursor to the right of the word "Notetab" at the
          > end of the above sentence so that I can type further at that point.
          > The click on blank space causes the word "Notetab" to be highlighted.
          > I am then switched over to my default Firefox browser. It has opened
          > a new tab with the message: "Firefox can't find the file at C:\My
          > Documents\xyz\Notetab."
          >
          > Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

          ideliabar,

          Jeff may be right about the mouse/drivers, it could also be a stuck, or,
          partially stuck key on the keyboard. It might stick on first use and
          free up on next use. I have trouble with Control and Backspace at times.

          And, if you haven't already tried it you can load NoteTab.ini into the
          edit window, save it as !NoteTab.ini, completely shut down NoteTab and
          restart it.

          NoteTab will use the !NoteTab.ini file with the leading exclamation
          point instead of NoteTab.ini, I'm not sure why this helps at times,
          maybe because it reconstructs the ini file and may correct some
          erroneous entries in the ini file.

          ºvº
          06.05.07_09.14
          -Newspaper HeadLine...
          "Cold Wave Linked to Temperatures"
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Jacques Turbé
          Message 4 of 5 , May 7, 2006
            2006/5/7, hsavage :
            > ideliabar wrote:
            > > I have suddenly started having a strange problem when working in Notetab.
            > >
            > > I left click with the cursor to the right of the word "Notetab" at the
            > > end of the above sentence so that I can type further at that point.
            > > The click on blank space causes the word "Notetab" to be highlighted.
            > > I am then switched over to my default Firefox browser. It has opened
            > > a new tab with the message: "Firefox can't find the file at C:\My
            > > Documents\xyz\Notetab."
            > >
            > > Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

            I suspect menu option "Tools/Quick Open Links" has been set :)

            --
            Jacques
            • GTD styled TW notebook : http://avm.free.fr/en_PimliPoche2.html
            Message 5 of 5 , May 7, 2006
              Problem solved. Thank you, Jeff, hsavage, and Jacues. You were all
              right.

              It was a mouse problem that occurred only in Notetab because
              "Tools/Quick Open Links" option had been set in Notetab :-)

              Since the problem was occurring only in Notetab, it didn't occur to me
              that the mouse was bad. I had previously looked for an updated driver
              but couldn't find one. Replacing the mouse ended the problem.

              ideliabar