Re: How to Add Fixed-Width Fonts

  • fairielogic
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2 12:01 PM
      Thanks!
      I was actually referring to the "A" that is an icon for fonts with the
      extension ".fon". I didn't notice the extension differences until some
      time this week. The icon for other fonts (that have a .ttf extension)
      are "O" and "TT". I knew "O" is for Open Type and "TT" is for true
      type. But I couldn't get a google for "A" and "font". I'm pretty sure
      that "A" winds up being disregarded as a search element, just as "the"
      is disregarded.

      Thanks for the response. It's very much appreciated. I hadn't known
      the meanings for the attributes column. It also spurred me on to
      google with ".fon" and "extension", so now I've learned that ".fon"
      extensions are usually (or always, depending on which website
      definition I rely on) raster or bitmap font files. Actually these,
      unless, hidden showed up in NoteTab Pro if they are fixed-width, along
      with the fixed-width True Type fonts.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Fisher <gerryfisher41@...> wrote:

      > If you are seeing the 'A" in the attributes column of WinExplorer
      then it stands for "ARCHIVE". Which is one of the windows file types
      which can be seen when you right click on a file. Other attributes are
      'R' =Read Only, 'H' = Hidden. There are others but of less
      significance to most users. Hope this helps clear the fog.
      > P.S. See Mike Hilton's reply regarding font installation its A-OK.
      > gf
      >
      > fairielogic <fairielogic@...> wrote: Thanks for the response and
      I also appreciate the nice link. Yes,

      <http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html>
      > > Don't know where they've put the download, but it shouldn't be hard
      > to find
      > > at font sites.
      > >
      > > Lotta

      > Computer
      monitoring software Computer
      software industry Computer and
      internet software

      Service.

      > ---------------------------------

    • fairielogic
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 12:15 PM
        Thank you. I will definitely be more methodical next time and of
        course will be more patient about seeing my "favorite fonts" when I do
        a reinstall. Just goes to show, I hope, how enthusiastic I am about
        NoteTab Pro that I installed it before Word!

        I thought "A" fonts were Adobe fonts because I know Adobe installs
        some with the "A" icon, but now I'm not sure. I had not installed
        Adobe, so I was puzzled. I eventually realized they had an ".fon"
        extension. So I found descriptions of ".fon" being bitmap or raster
        fonts--which Adobe would need because it's readable across OS
        platforms (and ".ttf" is an extension for Windows fonts.) Now I don't
        know if I'm looking at the chicken or the egg. :)

        Among websites with the defining references on ".fon":
        http://www.procon.com.au/FontsFAQ.htm
        http://cma.zdnet.com/book/visualc/ch13/ch13.htm