Re: [NTB] How to Add Fixed-Width Fonts

  • Cary Driscoll
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2006
      You may have tried this already, but if not, goto Options and click on the
      Documents tab.
      There you will find the Font button. By default mine is already set up to
      use Courier New.

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2006
        Yes, thank you very much, I appreciate your responding.

        When I do that, I only see the fonts that NoteTab seems to always
        show: Courier, Lucida Console, Terminal, FixedSys, and a couple others.

        I find Courier hard to read without ramming it up to 12 point size.
        Lucida is easier. I actually dithered between getting Pro or Standard
        for a few years because Pro has the functions I want, but is hard to
        read.

        Then I finally got the time to do some research and found that there
        were other fixed-width (mono) fonts out there. I checked out the free
        ones and downloaded "Anonymous" and "Monaco" and a few others. I put
        them in my Windows font folder and they showed up in the drop down
        menus of NoteTab Pro trial under Options. Yea!

        Then I bought the Pro version, installed it and again they showed up.

        But...I just reinstalled Windows, put in the Pro version after moving
        the additional fonts ("Anonymous", etc) into the Windows font folder.
        They don't show up in the drop-down menus in NoteTab Pro.

        Also, I just did an experiment and took out one of the fonts
        ("Wst_Ital") from the Windows font folder. It still shows up as an
        option in the NoteTab Pro drop-down menus. When I selected it, it
        couldn't convert, started a vertical line blinking and was (I
        anthropomorphize) very unhappy.

        Bummer.

        I really want to use Anonymous, Felix Titling, Monaco and some other
        mono fonts!

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Cary Driscoll" <cary.here@...> wrote:

        > You may have tried this already, but if not, goto Options and click
        on the
        > Documents tab.
        > There you will find the Font button. By default mine is already set
        up to
        > use Courier New.

      • loro
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2006
          fairielogic wrote:
          >Bummer.
          >I really want to use Anonymous, Felix Titling, Monaco and some other
          >mono fonts!

          Hi,
          Are they TrueType? If I recall correctly Notetab can only use that format.
          OpenType doesn't work. I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
          <http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html>
          Don't know where they've put the download, but it shouldn't be hard to find
          at font sites.

          Lotta
        • fairielogic
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 29, 2006
            Thanks for the response and I also appreciate the nice link. Yes,
            Anonymous, Monaco, et al, are fixed-width. And I got them back in the
            drop-down menu! It may have been a fault in how I "install" them (I do
            a copy into the Windows font directory rather than using the Control
            Panel "wizard") or it could be something else... Anyway, I looked for
            the differences between what would show up and what wouldn't. No true
            type fonts were showing up, only those with "A" attibutes (whatever
            that is. Does anybody know?)

            Then I installed Font Xplorer Lite (an excellent freeware version of a
            professional font thingy.) Even when I selected for "all" fonts, the
            true types weren't showing up. Rather than trying to figure out if I
            needed to tweak on my "install" procedures, I wondered if installing
            MS Word would make the fonts available through its installation
            procedure. So I went ahead and installed my Office 2003 Pro--which I
            hadn't reinstalled yet in my rather drawn-out Windows XP reinstall
            procedure. :)

            So now the appropriate fixed-width fonts show up, including the true
            types I mentioned.

            BTW, I don't know exactly where I stashed the original links that got
            me to the new fonts, but I found a good discussion link which mentions
            Anonymous and some other fixed-width fonts:
            http://forevergeek.com/geek_resources/fonts_for_programmers.php

            Thank you again and thanks Cary.

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > fairielogic wrote:
            > >Bummer.
            > >I really want to use Anonymous, Felix Titling, Monaco and some other
            > >mono fonts!
            >
            > Hi,
            > Are they TrueType? If I recall correctly Notetab can only use that
            format.
            > OpenType doesn't work. I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
            > <http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html>
            > Don't know where they've put the download, but it shouldn't be hard
            to find
            > at font sites.
            >
            > Lotta

          • Mike Hopkins
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 29, 2006
              >It may have been a fault in how I "install" them (I do
              > a copy into the Windows font directory rather than using the Control
              > Panel "wizard") or it could be something else... Anyway, I looked for
              > the differences between what would show up and what wouldn't. No true
              > type fonts were showing up, only those with "A" attibutes (whatever
              > that is. Does anybody know?)

              To install and register in the registry a TruType font
              you should use the font installation wizard. Otherwise,
              the applications don't "know" that the font is there.
              Installing MS apps with included fonts adds them to
              the registry so they are available.

              Fonts with the 'A' logo are Adobe Type 1 fonts.

              HTH

              Mike Hopkins

              ironmike AT inav.net
            • Gerry Fisher
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 30, 2006
                If you are seeing the 'A" in the attributes column of WinExplorer then it stands for "ARCHIVE". Which is one of the windows file types which can be seen when you right click on a file. Other attributes are 'R' =Read Only, 'H' = Hidden. There are others but of less significance to most users. Hope this helps clear the fog.
                P.S. See Mike Hilton's reply regarding font installation its A-OK.
                gf

                fairielogic <fairielogic@...> wrote: Thanks for the response and I also appreciate the nice link. Yes,
                Anonymous, Monaco, et al, are fixed-width. And I got them back in the
                drop-down menu! It may have been a fault in how I "install" them (I do
                a copy into the Windows font directory rather than using the Control
                Panel "wizard") or it could be something else... Anyway, I looked for
                the differences between what would show up and what wouldn't. No true
                type fonts were showing up, only those with "A" attibutes (whatever
                that is. Does anybody know?)

                Then I installed Font Xplorer Lite (an excellent freeware version of a
                professional font thingy.) Even when I selected for "all" fonts, the
                true types weren't showing up. Rather than trying to figure out if I
                needed to tweak on my "install" procedures, I wondered if installing
                MS Word would make the fonts available through its installation
                procedure. So I went ahead and installed my Office 2003 Pro--which I
                hadn't reinstalled yet in my rather drawn-out Windows XP reinstall
                procedure. :)

                So now the appropriate fixed-width fonts show up, including the true
                types I mentioned.

                BTW, I don't know exactly where I stashed the original links that got
                me to the new fonts, but I found a good discussion link which mentions
                Anonymous and some other fixed-width fonts:
                http://forevergeek.com/geek_resources/fonts_for_programmers.php

                Thank you again and thanks Cary.

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

                > fairielogic wrote:
                > >Bummer.
                > >I really want to use Anonymous, Felix Titling, Monaco and some other
                > >mono fonts!
                >
                > Hi,
                > Are they TrueType? If I recall correctly Notetab can only use that
                format.
                > OpenType doesn't work. I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.
                > <http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html>
                > Don't know where they've put the download, but it shouldn't be hard
                to find
                > at font sites.
                >
                > Lotta

                Computer monitoring software Computer software industry Computer and internet software

                ---------------------------------

              • fairielogic
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2 12:01 PM
                  Thanks!
                  I was actually referring to the "A" that is an icon for fonts with the
                  extension ".fon". I didn't notice the extension differences until some
                  time this week. The icon for other fonts (that have a .ttf extension)
                  are "O" and "TT". I knew "O" is for Open Type and "TT" is for true
                  type. But I couldn't get a google for "A" and "font". I'm pretty sure
                  that "A" winds up being disregarded as a search element, just as "the"
                  is disregarded.

                  Thanks for the response. It's very much appreciated. I hadn't known
                  the meanings for the attributes column. It also spurred me on to
                  google with ".fon" and "extension", so now I've learned that ".fon"
                  extensions are usually (or always, depending on which website
                  definition I rely on) raster or bitmap font files. Actually these,
                  unless, hidden showed up in NoteTab Pro if they are fixed-width, along
                  with the fixed-width True Type fonts.

                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerry Fisher <gerryfisher41@...> wrote:

                  > If you are seeing the 'A" in the attributes column of WinExplorer
                  then it stands for "ARCHIVE". Which is one of the windows file types
                  which can be seen when you right click on a file. Other attributes are
                  'R' =Read Only, 'H' = Hidden. There are others but of less
                  significance to most users. Hope this helps clear the fog.
                  > P.S. See Mike Hilton's reply regarding font installation its A-OK.
                  > gf
                  >
                  > fairielogic <fairielogic@...> wrote: Thanks for the response and
                  I also appreciate the nice link. Yes,
                  > Anonymous, Monaco, et al, are fixed-width. And I got them back in the
                  > drop-down menu! It may have been a fault in how I "install" them (I do
                  > a copy into the Windows font directory rather than using the Control
                  > Panel "wizard") or it could be something else... Anyway, I looked for
                  > the differences between what would show up and what wouldn't. No true
                  > type fonts were showing up, only those with "A" attibutes (whatever
                  > that is. Does anybody know?)
                  >
                  > Then I installed Font Xplorer Lite (an excellent freeware version of a
                  > professional font thingy.) Even when I selected for "all" fonts, the
                  > true types weren't showing up. Rather than trying to figure out if I
                  > needed to tweak on my "install" procedures, I wondered if installing
                  > MS Word would make the fonts available through its installation
                  > procedure. So I went ahead and installed my Office 2003 Pro--which I
                  > hadn't reinstalled yet in my rather drawn-out Windows XP reinstall
                  > procedure. :)
                  >
                  > So now the appropriate fixed-width fonts show up, including the true
                  > types I mentioned.
                  >
                  > BTW, I don't know exactly where I stashed the original links that got
                  > me to the new fonts, but I found a good discussion link which mentions
                  > Anonymous and some other fixed-width fonts:
                  > http://forevergeek.com/geek_resources/fonts_for_programmers.php
                  >
                  > Thank you again and thanks Cary.
                  >
                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > fairielogic wrote:
                  > > >Bummer.
                  > > >I really want to use Anonymous, Felix Titling, Monaco and some other
                  > > >mono fonts!
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > Are they TrueType? If I recall correctly Notetab can only use that
                  > format.
                  > > OpenType doesn't work. I use Bitstream Vera Sans Mono.

                  <http://www.bitstream.com/font_rendering/products/dev_fonts/vera.html>
                  > > Don't know where they've put the download, but it shouldn't be hard
                  > to find
                  > > at font sites.
                  > >
                  > > Lotta

                  > Computer
                  monitoring software Computer
                  software industry Computer and
                  internet software

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------

                • fairielogic
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2 12:15 PM
                    Thank you. I will definitely be more methodical next time and of
                    course will be more patient about seeing my "favorite fonts" when I do
                    a reinstall. Just goes to show, I hope, how enthusiastic I am about
                    NoteTab Pro that I installed it before Word!

                    I thought "A" fonts were Adobe fonts because I know Adobe installs
                    some with the "A" icon, but now I'm not sure. I had not installed
                    Adobe, so I was puzzled. I eventually realized they had an ".fon"
                    extension. So I found descriptions of ".fon" being bitmap or raster
                    fonts--which Adobe would need because it's readable across OS
                    platforms (and ".ttf" is an extension for Windows fonts.) Now I don't
                    know if I'm looking at the chicken or the egg. :)

                    Among websites with the defining references on ".fon":
                    http://www.procon.com.au/FontsFAQ.htm
                    http://cma.zdnet.com/book/visualc/ch13/ch13.htm