Re: [NTB] Settings not updated in XP limited user accounts

  • dave
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9 8:42 AM
      Hi
      what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all other
      setting are in the notetab.ini file.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9 10:12 AM
        On Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:42 PM, dave wrote:

        > Hi
        > what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all
        > other
        > setting are in the notetab.ini file.
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

        Fraid that doesn't happen for me, Dave ... what we're saying in this
        thread is that changes *don't* get stored if you're using a
        non-administrator account in XP. See my earlier post
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/18629

        D+
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9 5:21 PM
          Hi David,

          >> I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share
          >> settings, there's one setting that cannot be stored in the
          >> registry: whether or not a document is word wrapped.
          >> Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full
          >> access to its directory and contents.
          >
          >I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even
          >with full ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an
          >inspired new solution --use shortcut properties to make NTP run
          >in Win2K compatibility mode. But that doesn't work either.

          I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
          mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
          registry.

          The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release which is
          being worked on now. I do not have any kind of guestimated
          released date at this time. Please do not start sending requests
          to this list. We already have mote than we can handle now and it
          will only add mail to this list at this time. Thanks!

          I can tell you that I have been testing a number of betas with
          Eric that are designed to update his program libraries (not to be
          confuse with NoteTab Libraries) for NoteTab, MailBag, and Easy
          Thumbnails. (GIF support will be added to Ez Thumbs.) That is
          pretty much all the information I have right now.

          Please write me at support @ fookes .com w/o the spaces if you
          want more information, but I really don't have anything mote at
          this time and too busy to answer a lot of posts on the lists
          about it, especially when I don't have answers. ;) I'm try to
          prevent you all from having a flood of email to the lists.
          Thanks!

          Happy Tab'n,

        • David Ash
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9 11:39 PM
            On: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:21 AM Jody wrote:

            > ... ...
            >
            > I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
            > mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
            > registry.
            >
            > The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release
            > which is being worked on now.
            > ... ...

            Thanks Jody -- at least I can now stop looking for some tweak or something
            missed at this end.

            My wish to have the same config. of Notepad available in each user account
            probably isn't typical, and I'm sure the registry solution will work fine
            meanwhile in most cases.

            D+
          • David Ash
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9 11:49 PM
              Jody,

              Oops ... did I just say Notepad? Of course I meant NoteTab.

              D+
            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 10 10:17 AM
                Well I've found the answer to at least one of the points I raised about
                NotePad not saving settings from a user account.

                I mentioned that I'd tried installing NTP into the (limited) user's "My
                Documents" folder, where surely it would be able to write to the files,
                and found that even this apparently didn't do the trick.

                That seemed most unlikely, so I looked in NotePro.ini and realised you
                have to "bootstrap" it by manually changing the "MainDirectory=" setting
                to point to the new My Documents location. Why doesn't the program know
                where it has just installed itself? Because in a typical reinstallation
                you import your old NotePro.ini file, overwriting the new one created by
                the intstallation. And that old file is still pointing to the default
                directory, C:\Program Files. D'oh! So when you go into the Options
                (Advanced tab) to tell NoteTab where it's now located, it can't store that
                information because it doesn't know where to ... until you change
                NotePro.ini by hand.

                If you see what I mean. Anyway, it works. Not a perfect solution, but
                one mystery explained, at least.

                D+
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 11 2:11 AM
                  Oops!

                  My previous post about getting NoteTab to update its settings files when
                  moved into Documents and Settings doesn't work after all, I'm afraid. My
                  changes to file preferences must have persisted in the memory after
                  closing tabs, but weren't stored on full exit from NTB. Apologies. Look
                  forward to Version 5 on this one.

                  D+
                • dave
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11 5:24 AM
                    Hi
                    do your font settings stay put these are also in the fpr file something like
                    below

                    own.txt=64;0;1;0;122;0;.5;0;0;0;10;Lucida Console;;0

                    a limited user would always be blocked from the registry , I would think the
                    ini would be ok though , you have checked the fpr file and had a look a the
                    ini file both in the notetab folder ?
                    THANKYOU DAVE M