Re: [NTB] Trouble with NoteTab Light flaw

  • dave
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
      Hi
      A few thoughts
      do you have enough ram everything goes to ram first
      how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory
      do you have any other programs running in the back ground as well
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
        Hi Cloudchaser,

        >A few thoughts do you have enough ram everything goes to ram
        >first how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory do you
        >have any other programs running in the back ground as well
        > THANKYOU DAVE M

        >> I have sent e-mail to support "at" fookes.com and have not got a
        >> response, so I decided to try here.

        We do not support our freeware although I send a reply to all the
        mail I get, even if it is to send a few comments or to say to ask
        on the lists. If we do comments we do ask to use the lists
        because we don't support our freeware. ;) Dave is on the right
        path with his reply above.

        The only other reason would be a corrupt, missing, or wrong
        version of riched32.dll found in the Windows System folder. Since
        you have tried on a new install though, then that is probably not
        the problem unless you installed a program first that messed with
        that file.

        It is more likely to be a memory thing though, especially if you
        have a lot of files open in NoteTab and even more so with large
        files. To run properly, NoteTab (perhaps only Std/Light) need at
        least twice the amount of free RAM as it does file size loaded.

        >> I have NoteTab Light 4.95 and WinXP Pro. It's not uncommon for me to
        >> be typing something in NoteTab and the cursor 'll stop moving nor will
        >> it respond to the arrow keys and anything I try to type appears in a
        >> random spot several lines down from where the cursor is.
        >>
        >> What causes this problem and what can I do to fix it? I tried a clean
        >> install, which is uninstalling using add/remove programs and running a
        >> just downloaded install file and that didn't work. Even when I had my
        >> HD wiped for unrelated reasons and WinXP Home that my comp came with
        >> replaced with WinXP Pro and I reinstalled NoteTab, the problem still
        >> happens.

        Happy Tab'n,

      • Cloudchaser Shaconage
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
          >From: "dave" <dmc43959@...>
          >
          >Hi
          >A few thoughts
          >do you have enough ram everything goes to ram first

          512M at 266mhz. If it helps, my processor is a 1.6G Pentium 4

          >how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory

          None. Just the occasional average highlight ctrl+c

          >do you have any other programs running in the back ground as well

          At any given time, I'll have NoteTab, Opera browser and Windows Explorer
          open and may also have Winamp or Windows Media playing an mp3 I'll always
          have Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, Adaware, weather bug, Stopzilla and if
          I'm on dialup, SlipStream. When I first noticed the problem happening, I
          only had Spybot

          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          Yer welcome :-)

          Take care! �Hope to hear from you soon! �Wuff!

          Cloudchaser Benjamin Shaconage, a chocolate, peanut butter, pizza &
          anthrovixen lovin' Rainbow Wolf

        • Brian Mailman
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
            Cloudchaser Shaconage wrote:

            > At any given time, I'll have NoteTab, Opera browser and Windows Explorer
            > open and may also have Winamp or Windows Media playing an mp3 I'll always
            > have Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, Adaware, weather bug, Stopzilla and if
            > I'm on dialup, SlipStream. When I first noticed the problem happening, I
            > only had Spybot

            Well, check your Startup folder and see what else you have set up to
            run. And alt-ctrl-delete to call up Task Manager and look at the
            Applications, Processes, and Performance tabs to check what's using up
            your memory.

            I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....

            B/
          • Cloudchaser Shaconage
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
              >From: Brian Mailman <bmailman@...>
              >Well, check your Startup folder and see what else you have set up to
              >run.

              Type32 (usb keyboard), stopzilla, vptray, Online eye (an internet
              speedometer), vcheck (checks for new versions of Online eye), gcasserv
              (Microsoft antispyware), ccapp (Symantec anti virus), AdMunch(er) and
              TeaTimer (Spybot)

              >And alt-ctrl-delete to call up Task Manager and look at the
              >Applications,

              Opera, NoteTab Light, Windows Explorer and Winamp

              >Processes,
              >and Performance tabs to check what's using up
              >your memory.

              *decides a screenshot showing both would be easiest*
              http://www.cloudchasershaconage.furtopia.org/temporary1/processes.jpg

              >I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....

              Where's that at?

              Take care :-)

              Cloudchaser

            • Brian Mailman
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                Cloudchaser Shaconage wrote:

                >>I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....
                >
                > Where's that at?

                <points downwards at the footers>

                B/