Re: [NTB] Settings not updated in XP limited user accounts

  • David Ash
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
      On Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:36 AM Alex Plantema wrote:

      > I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share settings,
      > there's one setting that cannot be stored in the registry: whether or
      > not
      > a document is word wrapped.
      > Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full access
      > to its directory and contents.
      >
      > Alex.

      I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even with full
      ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an inspired new solution --
      use shortcut properties to make NTP run in Win2K compatibility mode. But
      that doesn't work either.

      D+
    • dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
        Hi
        what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all other
        setting are in the notetab.ini file.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > On Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:36 AM Alex Plantema wrote:
        >

        >> I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share settings,
        >> there's one setting that cannot be stored in the registry: whether or
        >> not
        >> a document is word wrapped.
        >> Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full access
        >> to its directory and contents.
        >>
        >> Alex.
        >

        > I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even with full
        > ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an inspired new solution --
        > use shortcut properties to make NTP run in Win2K compatibility mode. But
        > that doesn't work either.
        >
        > D+

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • David Ash
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
          On Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:42 PM, dave wrote:

          > Hi
          > what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all
          > other
          > setting are in the notetab.ini file.
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          Fraid that doesn't happen for me, Dave ... what we're saying in this
          thread is that changes *don't* get stored if you're using a
          non-administrator account in XP. See my earlier post
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/18629

          D+
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
            Hi David,

            >> I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share
            >> settings, there's one setting that cannot be stored in the
            >> registry: whether or not a document is word wrapped.
            >> Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full
            >> access to its directory and contents.
            >
            >I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even
            >with full ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an
            >inspired new solution --use shortcut properties to make NTP run
            >in Win2K compatibility mode. But that doesn't work either.

            I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
            mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
            registry.

            The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release which is
            being worked on now. I do not have any kind of guestimated
            released date at this time. Please do not start sending requests
            to this list. We already have mote than we can handle now and it
            will only add mail to this list at this time. Thanks!

            I can tell you that I have been testing a number of betas with
            Eric that are designed to update his program libraries (not to be
            confuse with NoteTab Libraries) for NoteTab, MailBag, and Easy
            Thumbnails. (GIF support will be added to Ez Thumbs.) That is
            pretty much all the information I have right now.

            Please write me at support @ fookes .com w/o the spaces if you
            want more information, but I really don't have anything mote at
            this time and too busy to answer a lot of posts on the lists
            about it, especially when I don't have answers. ;) I'm try to
            prevent you all from having a flood of email to the lists.
            Thanks!

            Happy Tab'n,

          • David Ash
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
              On: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:21 AM Jody wrote:

              > ... ...
              >
              > I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
              > mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
              > registry.
              >
              > The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release
              > which is being worked on now.
              > ... ...

              Thanks Jody -- at least I can now stop looking for some tweak or something
              missed at this end.

              My wish to have the same config. of Notepad available in each user account
              probably isn't typical, and I'm sure the registry solution will work fine
              meanwhile in most cases.

              D+
            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
                Jody,

                Oops ... did I just say Notepad? Of course I meant NoteTab.

                D+
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 10, 2006
                  Well I've found the answer to at least one of the points I raised about
                  NotePad not saving settings from a user account.

                  I mentioned that I'd tried installing NTP into the (limited) user's "My
                  Documents" folder, where surely it would be able to write to the files,
                  and found that even this apparently didn't do the trick.

                  That seemed most unlikely, so I looked in NotePro.ini and realised you
                  have to "bootstrap" it by manually changing the "MainDirectory=" setting
                  to point to the new My Documents location. Why doesn't the program know
                  where it has just installed itself? Because in a typical reinstallation
                  you import your old NotePro.ini file, overwriting the new one created by
                  the intstallation. And that old file is still pointing to the default
                  directory, C:\Program Files. D'oh! So when you go into the Options
                  (Advanced tab) to tell NoteTab where it's now located, it can't store that
                  information because it doesn't know where to ... until you change
                  NotePro.ini by hand.

                  If you see what I mean. Anyway, it works. Not a perfect solution, but
                  one mystery explained, at least.

                  D+
                • David Ash
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                    Oops!

                    My previous post about getting NoteTab to update its settings files when
                    moved into Documents and Settings doesn't work after all, I'm afraid. My
                    changes to file preferences must have persisted in the memory after
                    closing tabs, but weren't stored on full exit from NTB. Apologies. Look
                    forward to Version 5 on this one.

                    D+
                  • dave
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11, 2006
                      Hi
                      do your font settings stay put these are also in the fpr file something like
                      below

                      own.txt=64;0;1;0;122;0;.5;0;0;0;10;Lucida Console;;0

                      a limited user would always be blocked from the registry , I would think the
                      ini would be ok though , you have checked the fpr file and had a look a the
                      ini file both in the notetab folder ?
                      THANKYOU DAVE M