Re: [NTB] Settings not updated in XP limited user accounts

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 9 1:36 AM
      Op zaterdag 8 april 2006 19:48 schreef David Ash:

      > I recently moved NoteTab Pro to a new computer which runs Windows XP
      > Media Center Edition SP2. NTP had been running just fine under
      > Windows 2000. Now, in the limited user account I normally work in, I
      > can't get NTP to write changes to the two settings files, NotePro.ini
      > and NotePro.fpr. I've tried the obvious, like granting full
      > permissions to all users of the NoteTab Pro folder in C:\Program
      > Files. That certainly gives me access to the settings files should I
      > want to make changes manually, but of course I want NTP to update the
      > files automatically in the background. For some reason it won't.
      > I've tried the "Store Settings in Registry" option, but that
      > doesn't suit the way I use NTP, which is to have the "same" instance
      > available in all user accounts. The Registry individualises each
      > account so that settings are not preserved between users.
      >
      > In XP, NoteTab seems to work only in the Admin. account. Can it be
      > made to work the way it always has done?

      I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share settings, there's one setting that cannot be stored in the registry: whether or not a document is word wrapped.
      Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full access to its directory and contents.

      Alex.
    • David Ash
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9 4:55 AM
        On Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:36 AM Alex Plantema wrote:

        > I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share settings,
        > there's one setting that cannot be stored in the registry: whether or
        > not
        > a document is word wrapped.
        > Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full access
        > to its directory and contents.
        >
        > Alex.

        I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even with full
        ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an inspired new solution --
        use shortcut properties to make NTP run in Win2K compatibility mode. But
        that doesn't work either.

        D+
      • dave
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 9 8:42 AM
          Hi
          what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all other
          setting are in the notetab.ini file.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > On Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:36 AM Alex Plantema wrote:
          >

          >> I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share settings,
          >> there's one setting that cannot be stored in the registry: whether or
          >> not
          >> a document is word wrapped.
          >> Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full access
          >> to its directory and contents.
          >>
          >> Alex.
          >

          > I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even with full
          > ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an inspired new solution --
          > use shortcut properties to make NTP run in Win2K compatibility mode. But
          > that doesn't work either.
          >
          > D+

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Ash
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 9 10:12 AM
            On Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:42 PM, dave wrote:

            > Hi
            > what not storing wordwrap I think is stored in the notetab.fpr and all
            > other
            > setting are in the notetab.ini file.
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            Fraid that doesn't happen for me, Dave ... what we're saying in this
            thread is that changes *don't* get stored if you're using a
            non-administrator account in XP. See my earlier post
            http://groups.yahoo.com/group/notetab/message/18629

            D+
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 9 5:21 PM
              Hi David,

              >> I found the same with XP Home. Though I don't need to share
              >> settings, there's one setting that cannot be stored in the
              >> registry: whether or not a document is word wrapped.
              >> Notetab doesn't update this from a limited user, even with full
              >> access to its directory and contents.
              >
              >I'd like to know why NoteTab won't write to these files, even
              >with full ownership. I thought for a moment I'd found an
              >inspired new solution --use shortcut properties to make NTP run
              >in Win2K compatibility mode. But that doesn't work either.

              I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
              mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
              registry.

              The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release which is
              being worked on now. I do not have any kind of guestimated
              released date at this time. Please do not start sending requests
              to this list. We already have mote than we can handle now and it
              will only add mail to this list at this time. Thanks!

              I can tell you that I have been testing a number of betas with
              Eric that are designed to update his program libraries (not to be
              confuse with NoteTab Libraries) for NoteTab, MailBag, and Easy
              Thumbnails. (GIF support will be added to Ez Thumbs.) That is
              pretty much all the information I have right now.

              Please write me at support @ fookes .com w/o the spaces if you
              want more information, but I really don't have anything mote at
              this time and too busy to answer a lot of posts on the lists
              about it, especially when I don't have answers. ;) I'm try to
              prevent you all from having a flood of email to the lists.
              Thanks!

              Happy Tab'n,

            • David Ash
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 9 11:39 PM
                On: Monday, April 10, 2006 1:21 AM Jody wrote:

                > ... ...
                >
                > I do not know why NoteTab will not write to those files, but as
                > mentioned, it can be over-ridden by storing the settings in the
                > registry.
                >
                > The problem should be fixed in the upcoming 5.0 release
                > which is being worked on now.
                > ... ...

                Thanks Jody -- at least I can now stop looking for some tweak or something
                missed at this end.

                My wish to have the same config. of Notepad available in each user account
                probably isn't typical, and I'm sure the registry solution will work fine
                meanwhile in most cases.

                D+
              • David Ash
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 9 11:49 PM
                  Jody,

                  Oops ... did I just say Notepad? Of course I meant NoteTab.

                  D+
                • David Ash
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 10 10:17 AM
                    Well I've found the answer to at least one of the points I raised about
                    NotePad not saving settings from a user account.

                    I mentioned that I'd tried installing NTP into the (limited) user's "My
                    Documents" folder, where surely it would be able to write to the files,
                    and found that even this apparently didn't do the trick.

                    That seemed most unlikely, so I looked in NotePro.ini and realised you
                    have to "bootstrap" it by manually changing the "MainDirectory=" setting
                    to point to the new My Documents location. Why doesn't the program know
                    where it has just installed itself? Because in a typical reinstallation
                    you import your old NotePro.ini file, overwriting the new one created by
                    the intstallation. And that old file is still pointing to the default
                    directory, C:\Program Files. D'oh! So when you go into the Options
                    (Advanced tab) to tell NoteTab where it's now located, it can't store that
                    information because it doesn't know where to ... until you change
                    NotePro.ini by hand.

                    If you see what I mean. Anyway, it works. Not a perfect solution, but
                    one mystery explained, at least.

                    D+
                  • David Ash
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 11 2:11 AM
                      Oops!

                      My previous post about getting NoteTab to update its settings files when
                      moved into Documents and Settings doesn't work after all, I'm afraid. My
                      changes to file preferences must have persisted in the memory after
                      closing tabs, but weren't stored on full exit from NTB. Apologies. Look
                      forward to Version 5 on this one.

                      D+
                    • dave
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 11 5:24 AM
                        Hi
                        do your font settings stay put these are also in the fpr file something like
                        below

                        own.txt=64;0;1;0;122;0;.5;0;0;0;10;Lucida Console;;0

                        a limited user would always be blocked from the registry , I would think the
                        ini would be ok though , you have checked the fpr file and had a look a the
                        ini file both in the notetab folder ?
                        THANKYOU DAVE M