Trouble with NoteTab Light flaw

  • Cloudchaser Benjamin Shaconage
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
      Hello :-)

      I have sent e-mail to support "at" fookes.com and have not got a
      response, so I decided to try here.

      I have NoteTab Light 4.95 and WinXP Pro. It's not uncommon for me to
      be typing something in NoteTab and the cursor 'll stop moving nor will
      it respond to the arrow keys and anything I try to type appears in a
      random spot several lines down from where the cursor is.

      What causes this problem and what can I do to fix it? I tried a clean
      install, which is uninstalling using add/remove programs and running a
      just downloaded install file and that didn't work. Even when I had my
      HD wiped for unrelated reasons and WinXP Home that my comp came with
      replaced with WinXP Pro and I reinstalled NoteTab, the problem still
      happens.

      Other than that annoying problem, NoteTab Light works flawlessly

      Thanx in advance :-)

      Take care :-)

      Cloudchaser
    • Jeff
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2006
        RAM usage and the size of your himemsys usage, i type faster than mine
        can keep-up.

        Cloudchaser Benjamin Shaconage wrote:

        >Hello :-)
        >
        >I have sent e-mail to support "at" fookes.com and have not got a
        >response, so I decided to try here.
        >
        >I have NoteTab Light 4.95 and WinXP Pro. It's not uncommon for me to
        >be typing something in NoteTab and the cursor 'll stop moving nor will
        >it respond to the arrow keys and anything I try to type appears in a
        >random spot several lines down from where the cursor is.
        >
        >What causes this problem and what can I do to fix it? I tried a clean
        >install, which is uninstalling using add/remove programs and running a
        >just downloaded install file and that didn't work. Even when I had my
        >HD wiped for unrelated reasons and WinXP Home that my comp came with
        >replaced with WinXP Pro and I reinstalled NoteTab, the problem still
        >happens.
        >
        >Other than that annoying problem, NoteTab Light works flawlessly
        >
        >Thanx in advance :-)
        >
        >Take care :-)
        >
        >Cloudchaser

      • dave
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
          Hi
          A few thoughts
          do you have enough ram everything goes to ram first
          how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory
          do you have any other programs running in the back ground as well
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
            Hi Cloudchaser,

            >A few thoughts do you have enough ram everything goes to ram
            >first how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory do you
            >have any other programs running in the back ground as well
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            >> I have sent e-mail to support "at" fookes.com and have not got a
            >> response, so I decided to try here.

            We do not support our freeware although I send a reply to all the
            mail I get, even if it is to send a few comments or to say to ask
            on the lists. If we do comments we do ask to use the lists
            because we don't support our freeware. ;) Dave is on the right
            path with his reply above.

            The only other reason would be a corrupt, missing, or wrong
            version of riched32.dll found in the Windows System folder. Since
            you have tried on a new install though, then that is probably not
            the problem unless you installed a program first that messed with
            that file.

            It is more likely to be a memory thing though, especially if you
            have a lot of files open in NoteTab and even more so with large
            files. To run properly, NoteTab (perhaps only Std/Light) need at
            least twice the amount of free RAM as it does file size loaded.

            >> I have NoteTab Light 4.95 and WinXP Pro. It's not uncommon for me to
            >> be typing something in NoteTab and the cursor 'll stop moving nor will
            >> it respond to the arrow keys and anything I try to type appears in a
            >> random spot several lines down from where the cursor is.
            >>
            >> What causes this problem and what can I do to fix it? I tried a clean
            >> install, which is uninstalling using add/remove programs and running a
            >> just downloaded install file and that didn't work. Even when I had my
            >> HD wiped for unrelated reasons and WinXP Home that my comp came with
            >> replaced with WinXP Pro and I reinstalled NoteTab, the problem still
            >> happens.

            Happy Tab'n,

          • Cloudchaser Shaconage
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
              >From: "dave" <dmc43959@...>
              >
              >Hi
              >A few thoughts
              >do you have enough ram everything goes to ram first

              512M at 266mhz. If it helps, my processor is a 1.6G Pentium 4

              >how many clipbooks do you have each takes memory

              None. Just the occasional average highlight ctrl+c

              >do you have any other programs running in the back ground as well

              At any given time, I'll have NoteTab, Opera browser and Windows Explorer
              open and may also have Winamp or Windows Media playing an mp3 I'll always
              have Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, Adaware, weather bug, Stopzilla and if
              I'm on dialup, SlipStream. When I first noticed the problem happening, I
              only had Spybot

              > THANKYOU DAVE M

              Yer welcome :-)

              Take care! �Hope to hear from you soon! �Wuff!

              Cloudchaser Benjamin Shaconage, a chocolate, peanut butter, pizza &
              anthrovixen lovin' Rainbow Wolf

            • Brian Mailman
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                Cloudchaser Shaconage wrote:

                > At any given time, I'll have NoteTab, Opera browser and Windows Explorer
                > open and may also have Winamp or Windows Media playing an mp3 I'll always
                > have Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware, Adaware, weather bug, Stopzilla and if
                > I'm on dialup, SlipStream. When I first noticed the problem happening, I
                > only had Spybot

                Well, check your Startup folder and see what else you have set up to
                run. And alt-ctrl-delete to call up Task Manager and look at the
                Applications, Processes, and Performance tabs to check what's using up
                your memory.

                I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....

                B/
              • Cloudchaser Shaconage
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                  >From: Brian Mailman <bmailman@...>
                  >Well, check your Startup folder and see what else you have set up to
                  >run.

                  Type32 (usb keyboard), stopzilla, vptray, Online eye (an internet
                  speedometer), vcheck (checks for new versions of Online eye), gcasserv
                  (Microsoft antispyware), ccapp (Symantec anti virus), AdMunch(er) and
                  TeaTimer (Spybot)

                  >And alt-ctrl-delete to call up Task Manager and look at the
                  >Applications,

                  Opera, NoteTab Light, Windows Explorer and Winamp

                  >Processes,
                  >and Performance tabs to check what's using up
                  >your memory.

                  *decides a screenshot showing both would be easiest*
                  http://www.cloudchasershaconage.furtopia.org/temporary1/processes.jpg

                  >I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....

                  Where's that at?

                  Take care :-)

                  Cloudchaser

                • Brian Mailman
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 9, 2006
                    Cloudchaser Shaconage wrote:

                    >>I think this may be approaching the Offtopic list....
                    >
                    > Where's that at?

                    <points downwards at the footers>

                    B/