Macro to replace Characters in a document

  • daveyboy20620
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
      Hi,

      I just need a simple macro to do a series of character replacements.

      replace " with "
      replace " with "
      replace ' with '

      Can anyone help?
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
        daveyboy20620 wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I just need a simple macro to do a series of character replacements.
        >
        > replace " with "
        > replace " with "
        > replace ' with '
        >
        > Can anyone help?

        davey,

        Which characters would you like to replace? If the above is an example
        I doubt you'll have much success.

        NoteTab does plain ascii text, if you're trying to replace left/right
        single/double quotes NoteTab won't handle them.

        You need to be, and send, more specific information of what you want
        with examples, and, send it to the 'clips' list. The link to join the
        clips list is at the bottom of this email, or, at least, it should be.

        ºvº
        06.04.08_19.31
        "Communication Skills II; Thinking Before Speaking."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Alan G
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2006
          On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:48:23 -0500, you wrote in part:

          > daveyboy20620 wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > >
          > > I just need a simple macro to do a series of character replacements.
          > >
          > > replace " with "
          > > replace " with "
          > > replace ' with '
          > >
          > > Can anyone help?
          >
          > davey,
          >
          > Which characters would you like to replace? If the above is an example
          > I doubt you'll have much success.
          >
          > NoteTab does plain ascii text, if you're trying to replace left/right
          > single/double quotes NoteTab won't handle them.

          Davey is undoubtedly talking about replacing the directional quotes with
          ASCII quotes. (And probably the dash with a pair of ASCII hyphens.)

          I don't know anything about scripts, so I can't provide the solution
          he's looking for, but I can tell you that the Search/Replace... function
          can indeed be used manually to accomplish this. Though all five of
          these characters appear visually in Notetab as the same "undisplayable
          replacement" symbol, Notetab knows they're not all the same. If you
          copy one of these symbols from your document to the clipboard and then
          paste it into the search argument field of the Replace dialog box and
          supply the appropriate replacement character (based on the context of
          the symbol you copied) and initiate a Replace All, you will find that
          only the corresponding "undisplayable" symbols will have been replaced.
          The ones representing a different original undisplayable character will
          still be in place. The process can be repeated for each of the seven
          characters.

          It would indeed be helpful to have a way to do all seven replacements
          with a single action.

          Alan G
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 9, 2006
            daveyboy20620 wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I just need a simple macro to do a series of character replacements.
            >
            > replace " with "
            > replace " with "
            > replace ' with '
            >
            > Can anyone help?

            ^!Replace "Able" >> "Ableone" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Baker" >> "Bakertwo" ACIWS
            ^!Replace "Charlie" >> "Charliethree" ACIWS