Re: [NTB] startup defaults NoteTab Pro

  • kuehnik
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 31, 2006
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "kuehnik" <kuehnik@...> wrote:

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Lisa Francis wrote:
      > > > Each time I start NoteTab Pro, it goes back to default options.
      >
      > > This implies that your .ini file is not being updated. Do you have
      > > appropriate permissions on your machine for this file to be saved?
      >
      > Hi,
      >
      > Same problem here: Windows 2000, working as a restricted user. The
      > .ini file (and the whole of the notetab folder) has
      > read-write-change-execute permissions for the restricted user and for
      > the admins and system. I can, as a restricted user, manually change
      > the .ini file and I get new defaults. Any changes done in the gui
      > (e.g. the files open at startup or if the clipboard is open) are
      > undone on subsequent restart, i.e. changing anything in the gui
      > doesn't change the defaults.
      >
      > I have the setting UseRegistry=0, so I suppose the registry isn't
      > touched and only the .ini file is used?
      >
      > When first starting notetab as a restricted user I didn't have any
      > .ini file and didn't have write-change permissions for the program
      > folder. The .ini file was made after switching to the admin. Changes
      > in the gui made by the admin do change the defaults.
      >
      > I don't know too much about windows 2000 permissions yet, so I may
      > have some bad setting I don't know about.
      >
      > Any advice appreciated,
      > -- Nik

      The restricted user, the admins group and system now have full access
      to the notetab folder but the problem persists.

      -- Nik
    • dave
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi
        I have lost track a little, but what should happen is program starts with
        the default setting you then set the options that you want and these are
        saved as the program closes and writes to the ini ,do any other programs
        behave this way.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        >> > This implies that your .ini file is not being updated. Do you have
        >> > appropriate permissions on your machine for this file to be saved?
        >>
        >> Hi,
        >>
        >> Same problem here: Windows 2000, working as a restricted user. The
        >> .ini file (and the whole of the notetab folder) has
        >> read-write-change-execute permissions for the restricted user and for
        >> the admins and system. I can, as a restricted user, manually change
        >> the .ini file and I get new defaults. Any changes done in the gui
        >> (e.g. the files open at startup or if the clipboard is open) are
        >> undone on subsequent restart, i.e. changing anything in the gui
        >> doesn't change the defaults.
        >>
        >> I have the setting UseRegistry=0, so I suppose the registry isn't
        >> touched and only the .ini file is used?
        >>
        >> When first starting notetab as a restricted user I didn't have any
        >> .ini file and didn't have write-change permissions for the program
        >> folder. The .ini file was made after switching to the admin. Changes
        >> in the gui made by the admin do change the defaults.
        >>
        >> I don't know too much about windows 2000 permissions yet, so I may
        >> have some bad setting I don't know about.
        >>
        >> Any advice appreciated,
        >> -- Nik
        >>

        > The restricted user, the admins group and system now have full access
        > to the notetab folder but the problem persists.
        >
        > -- Nik

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kuehnik
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1, 2006
          Dave wrote:
          > I have lost track a little, but what should happen is program starts
          with
          > the default setting you then set the options that you want and these
          are
          > saved as the program closes and writes to the ini ,do any other
          programs
          > behave this way.
          > THANKYOU DAVE M

          It now works as you describe it. In the meantime I switched (being
          admin) to using the registry and then switched back (being restricted
          user) to an .ini file in a custom folder and suddenly it works. Maybe
          a reboot was necessary somewhere? Anyway, thanks for replying.

          -- Nik