Re: [NTB] Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline

  • hsavage
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
      Keith Cornett wrote:
      > Within Outlook 2003:
      >
      > File
      >
      > -Import and Export
      >
      > --Export to a File
      >
      > ---Comma Separated Value (DOS)
      >
      > ----select the NOTES folder
      >
      > -----enter a file name (see note)
      >
      > ------click Finish
      >
      > Click NEXT after each step, except the last one. The process should
      be similar in other versions.

      > Note:
      >
      > The fields exported from my Outlook 2003 are:
      >
      > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
      >
      > If the rest is easy, I'd like to know the rest of the process. For
      example, how would you automate defining the header for each body?

      > Keith
      >
      > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of hsavage
      > Subject: Re: [NTB] Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline
      >
      > krwurst53 wrote:
      >> Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
      >> Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one?
      >>
      >> Thanks,
      >
      > Karl,
      >
      > is there any way to export the Notes to a regular text file. If
      that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

      Karl, Keith,

      Can, or, is the output of the export operation a Tab- or Comma-separated
      database? Now that we have an exported file, paste a good sized chunk
      of it into an email to the list, or tell us where to go download it.

      From the example above;

      "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

      it appears to be a 'CSV' file.

      ºvº
      06.03.03_15.26
      "Ballet; For Women Only."
      hrs ø hsavage@...
    • Keith Cornett
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
        Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:

        Comma Separated Values (DOS)

        Comma Separated Values (Windows)

        Microsoft Access

        Microsoft Excel

        Personal Folder File (.pst)

        Tab Separated Values (DOS)

        Tab Separated Values (Windows)

        Following is the contents of a CSV (DOS). The line with the field names IS included in the output file. I included a few situations that I thought might be needed if automating an import function.

        ===== file begins after this line =====

        "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

        "This is a note

        with a carriage return / linefeed

        ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

        "This note has ""quotation marks"" within the note itself

        ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

        "Header

        If the body has a carriage return / linefeed, Outlook uses the first line of text as a header. A routine could capitalize on this.

        ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

        "Another example

        with blank lines

        between the text

        ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

        ===== file ends before this line =====

        Keith

        _____

        > Click NEXT after each step, except the last one. The process should
        be similar in other versions.

        > Note:
        >
        > The fields exported from my Outlook 2003 are:
        >
        > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
        >
        > If the rest is easy, I'd like to know the rest of the process. For
        example, how would you automate defining the header for each body?

        > Keith
        >
        > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com] On
        Behalf Of hsavage
        > Subject: Re: [NTB] Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline
        >
        > krwurst53 wrote:
        >> Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
        >> Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >
        > Karl,
        >
        > is there any way to export the Notes to a regular text file. If
        that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

        Karl, Keith,

        Can, or, is the output of the export operation a Tab- or Comma-separated
        database? Now that we have an exported file, paste a good sized chunk
        of it into an email to the list, or tell us where to go download it.

        From the example above;

        "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

        it appears to be a 'CSV' file.

        ºvº
        06.03.03_15.26
        "Ballet; For Women Only."
        hrs ø hsavage@...

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        _____

      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
          Keith Cornett wrote:
          > Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:
          >

          > Comma Separated Values (DOS)
          >
          > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
          >
          > Microsoft Access
          >
          > Microsoft Excel
          >
          > Personal Folder File (.pst)
          >
          > Tab Separated Values (DOS)
          >
          > Tab Separated Values (Windows)

          Jody must be away but he'll show up shortly and say ... This is off
          topic for a notetab forum. We are discussing other software besides
          notetab.

          There are two forums where this might be most appropriate:
          The clips list -- if you want to use a clip to manipulate the output
          from your exported file and make it into a notetab outline file for
          example (probably can be done)

          The off-topic list -- because we are really discussing something else
          besides notetab ...

          I suspect where you really belong is on the clips list with this topic.
          I am not the moderator, but they regularly ask that this list be kept
          for the basic discussion of notetab. I will copy this to the clips list
          and you can pick up the thread over there. I think they would
          appreciate it if there were no further responses on this list.

          See http://notetab.com for a list of all groups and how to join them.
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
            Keith Cornett wrote:
            > Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:
            >
            > Comma Separated Values (DOS)
            > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
            >
            > Tab Separated Values (DOS)
            > Tab Separated Values (Windows)
            >
            > Following is the contents of a CSV (DOS).
            > ===== file begins after this line =====
            >
            > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
            >
            > "This is a note
            > with a carriage return / linefeed
            > ",,"3","Normal","Normal"
            > "This note has ""quotation marks"" within the note itself
            > ",,"3","Normal","Normal"
            > "Header
            > If the body has a carriage return / linefeed, Outlook uses the first
            line of text as a header. A routine could capitalize on this.

            > Keith
            > _____

            Karl, Keith,

            I wrote a clip and have been waiting a few days for more responses about
            converting Outlook Notes files to NoteTab Outlines.

            Either the clip may need some modification or the CSV/TSV may need some
            modification.

            I've been waiting for someone to post a substantial portion of an
            outputted file so I can verify if the clip works, or, needs to be
            modified to work with the output file.

            ºvº
            06.03.06_14.27
            -Newspaper HeadLine...
            "British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply"
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
              > Karl, Keith,
              >
              > I wrote a clip and have been waiting a few days for more responses about
              > converting Outlook Notes files to NoteTab Outlines.
              >
              > Either the clip may need some modification or the CSV/TSV may need some
              > modification.

              hrs, we are on the basic list ... shouldn't this discussion move to the
              clips list and continue over there? Karl, if you want the solution, you
              need to hit the clips list and ask hrs for more details on this clip.