Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline

  • krwurst53
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
      Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
      Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one? I have almost
      200 notes in Outlook that I would like to move to a Notetab Outline.

      Thanks,

      Karl
    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
        krwurst53 wrote:
        > Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
        > Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one? I have almost
        > 200 notes in Outlook that I would like to move to a Notetab Outline.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Karl

        Karl,

        I know nothing of OutLook but, is there any way to export the Notes to a
        regular text file. If that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

        ºvº
        06.03.03_09.04
        "Ballet; For Women Only."
        hrs ø hsavage@...
      • Keith Cornett
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
          Within Outlook 2003:

          File

          -Import and Export

          --Export to a File

          ---Comma Separated Value (DOS)

          ----select the NOTES folder

          -----enter a file name (see note)

          ------click Finish

          Click NEXT after each step, except the last one. The process should be similar in other versions.

          Note:

          The fields exported from my Outlook 2003 are:

          "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

          To remove unwanted fields, click "Map Custom Fields" before clicking Finish. Drag the unwanted field headings from the right side to the left to remove those fields from the output file.

          If the rest is easy, I'd like to know the rest of the process. For example, how would you automate defining the header for each body?

          Keith

          _____

          > Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
          > Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one? I have almost
          > 200 notes in Outlook that I would like to move to a Notetab Outline.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Karl

          Karl,

          I know nothing of OutLook but, is there any way to export the Notes to a
          regular text file. If that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

          ºvº
          06.03.03_09.04
          "Ballet; For Women Only."
          hrs ø hsavage@...

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          _____

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2006
            Keith Cornett wrote:
            > Within Outlook 2003:
            >
            > File
            >
            > -Import and Export
            >
            > --Export to a File
            >
            > ---Comma Separated Value (DOS)
            >
            > ----select the NOTES folder
            >
            > -----enter a file name (see note)
            >
            > ------click Finish
            >
            > Click NEXT after each step, except the last one. The process should
            be similar in other versions.

            > Note:
            >
            > The fields exported from my Outlook 2003 are:
            >
            > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
            >
            > If the rest is easy, I'd like to know the rest of the process. For
            example, how would you automate defining the header for each body?

            > Keith
            >
            > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com] On
            Behalf Of hsavage
            > Subject: Re: [NTB] Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline
            >
            > krwurst53 wrote:
            >> Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
            >> Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one?
            >>
            >> Thanks,
            >
            > Karl,
            >
            > is there any way to export the Notes to a regular text file. If
            that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

            Karl, Keith,

            Can, or, is the output of the export operation a Tab- or Comma-separated
            database? Now that we have an exported file, paste a good sized chunk
            of it into an email to the list, or tell us where to go download it.

            From the example above;

            "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

            it appears to be a 'CSV' file.

            ºvº
            06.03.03_15.26
            "Ballet; For Women Only."
            hrs ø hsavage@...
          • Keith Cornett
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
              Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:

              Comma Separated Values (DOS)

              Comma Separated Values (Windows)

              Microsoft Access

              Microsoft Excel

              Personal Folder File (.pst)

              Tab Separated Values (DOS)

              Tab Separated Values (Windows)

              Following is the contents of a CSV (DOS). The line with the field names IS included in the output file. I included a few situations that I thought might be needed if automating an import function.

              ===== file begins after this line =====

              "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

              "This is a note

              with a carriage return / linefeed

              ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

              "This note has ""quotation marks"" within the note itself

              ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

              "Header

              If the body has a carriage return / linefeed, Outlook uses the first line of text as a header. A routine could capitalize on this.

              ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

              "Another example

              with blank lines

              between the text

              ",,"3","Normal","Normal"

              ===== file ends before this line =====

              Keith

              _____

              > Click NEXT after each step, except the last one. The process should
              be similar in other versions.

              > Note:
              >
              > The fields exported from my Outlook 2003 are:
              >
              > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
              >
              > If the rest is easy, I'd like to know the rest of the process. For
              example, how would you automate defining the header for each body?

              > Keith
              >
              > From: notetab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com] On
              Behalf Of hsavage
              > Subject: Re: [NTB] Microsoft Outlook Notes to Notetab outline
              >
              > krwurst53 wrote:
              >> Does anyone know of a way to get my Microsoft Outlook Notes into a
              >> Notetab outline other than copying and pasting each one?
              >>
              >> Thanks,
              >
              > Karl,
              >
              > is there any way to export the Notes to a regular text file. If
              that's possible the rest shouldn't be too difficult.

              Karl, Keith,

              Can, or, is the output of the export operation a Tab- or Comma-separated
              database? Now that we have an exported file, paste a good sized chunk
              of it into an email to the list, or tell us where to go download it.

              From the example above;

              "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"

              it appears to be a 'CSV' file.

              ºvº
              06.03.03_15.26
              "Ballet; For Women Only."
              hrs ø hsavage@...

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              _____

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
                Keith Cornett wrote:
                > Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:
                >

                > Comma Separated Values (DOS)
                >
                > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
                >
                > Microsoft Access
                >
                > Microsoft Excel
                >
                > Personal Folder File (.pst)
                >
                > Tab Separated Values (DOS)
                >
                > Tab Separated Values (Windows)

                Jody must be away but he'll show up shortly and say ... This is off
                topic for a notetab forum. We are discussing other software besides
                notetab.

                There are two forums where this might be most appropriate:
                The clips list -- if you want to use a clip to manipulate the output
                from your exported file and make it into a notetab outline file for
                example (probably can be done)

                The off-topic list -- because we are really discussing something else
                besides notetab ...

                I suspect where you really belong is on the clips list with this topic.
                I am not the moderator, but they regularly ask that this list be kept
                for the basic discussion of notetab. I will copy this to the clips list
                and you can pick up the thread over there. I think they would
                appreciate it if there were no further responses on this list.

                See http://notetab.com for a list of all groups and how to join them.
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Keith Cornett wrote:
                  > Actually, Outlook 2003 provides options to export to:
                  >
                  > Comma Separated Values (DOS)
                  > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
                  >
                  > Tab Separated Values (DOS)
                  > Tab Separated Values (Windows)
                  >
                  > Following is the contents of a CSV (DOS).
                  > ===== file begins after this line =====
                  >
                  > "Note Body","Categories","Note Color","Priority","Sensitivity"
                  >
                  > "This is a note
                  > with a carriage return / linefeed
                  > ",,"3","Normal","Normal"
                  > "This note has ""quotation marks"" within the note itself
                  > ",,"3","Normal","Normal"
                  > "Header
                  > If the body has a carriage return / linefeed, Outlook uses the first
                  line of text as a header. A routine could capitalize on this.

                  > Keith
                  > _____

                  Karl, Keith,

                  I wrote a clip and have been waiting a few days for more responses about
                  converting Outlook Notes files to NoteTab Outlines.

                  Either the clip may need some modification or the CSV/TSV may need some
                  modification.

                  I've been waiting for someone to post a substantial portion of an
                  outputted file so I can verify if the clip works, or, needs to be
                  modified to work with the output file.

                  ºvº
                  06.03.06_14.27
                  -Newspaper HeadLine...
                  "British Union Finds Dwarfs in Short Supply"
                  hrs ø hsavage@...
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 6, 2006
                    > Karl, Keith,
                    >
                    > I wrote a clip and have been waiting a few days for more responses about
                    > converting Outlook Notes files to NoteTab Outlines.
                    >
                    > Either the clip may need some modification or the CSV/TSV may need some
                    > modification.

                    hrs, we are on the basic list ... shouldn't this discussion move to the
                    clips list and continue over there? Karl, if you want the solution, you
                    need to hit the clips list and ask hrs for more details on this clip.