Re: [NTB] Text appearing in the wrong place

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22 9:38 PM
      Hi Daniel,

      The problem you speak of is sometimes the combination of a
      corrupt, missing, or incorrect version of the riched32.dll found
      in your Windows System folder and low resources or high CPU usage
      from another program. Normally, reinstalling the riched32.dll
      from your Windows CD will correct the problem. If you need help
      with getting the riched32.dll installed, please sign up for the
      NoteTab Off Topic list. (See below.)

      >Sometimes when I try to type something into NoteTab Standard, the
      >text appears in the wrong place. For example I might be trying to
      >type something in the ninth column of line one and it ends up on the
      >twentieth column of line five.
      >
      >It think it has happened only when I was adding something to the
      >beginning of a large file (over 50 K).
      >
      >Is this a known bug? Thank you in advance for all replies.
      >--
      >I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
      >entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
      >automobile entertain one's rear and would it be safe to drive while
      >one's rear was being entertained.

      You may sign up for the different Fookes Software discussion mailing
      lists from either of the links below. Please take a minute or so and
      read this. There are many lists and your help in posting messages
      properly to the different lists is greatly appreciated.

      _Please_ read the following to see what list to send messages to and
      some basic guidelines to follow. It is very important to keep the
      lists running efficiently, getting faster replies, getting replies
      from the best qualified/expert people, searching archives, and other
      things as well.

      - Use a descriptive Subject: line to begin with! This is important!
      Newbie Needs Help and similar Subject lines should be changed
      immediately to an appropriate Subject such as:

      Files Keep Opening When I Open NoteTab (was Re: [NTB] Newbie Needs Help)
      Basic Help With Web Pages (was Re: [NTB] Help)
      Need Clip to Reformat HTML <head>...</head> (was Re: [Clip] Need Clip)

      - Messages should be referred/redirected to the appropriate lists such as
      Clip questions to the Clips list, HTML to the ntb-HTML list. You can Cc:
      the sender of a Clips question and send your reply to the Clips list. Or,
      Reply and Cc: the Clips list stating you will Reply on the Clips list.

      - Delete text from your replies that is not needed to understand your
      reply - strip footers, and extra text that is not needed.

      - If the content of the messages change drastically from the Subject
      line, please change the Subject line or start a new Subject with
      the same message body of the last message received that you are
      replying to and changing the Subject. Don't forget to leave
      the original Subject in like: Re: [NH] Frames Using CSS (was How do
      I blockquote?) for people that are using filters and so the same
      message thread can be followed easier.

      - Discussion of software other than Fookes Software is only allowed
      on the Off-Topic list and encouraged! Feel free to recommend
      competitive software on the Off-Topic list as well. When replying
      say from the Basic List and it needs to go to the Clips list,
      then send it there and copy the poster in a private message to
      the person you are wanting to help letting them know you moved it
      to the Clips list. They can sign up for it via the bottom of
      every [NTB] message or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      - Keep the conversation clean; all age groups are on the list and
      cussing/cursing offends many people! TIA :)

      + WHICH LIST to post on???

      Clips or Scripts list for them.

      discussion takes place on the ntb-OffTopic list. The Aid4Mail,
      MailBag Assistant, Easy Thumbnails, Easy Imager, and Album Express
      lists are for discussion of those programs.

      Discussion mailing list subscribing and unsubscribing:
      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

      lists.

      Happy Topics,
      Jody

      The NoteTab Off-Topic List

      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
    • Daniel Prince
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 23 1:57 PM
        On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:38:26 -0600, you wrote:

        >Hi Daniel,
        >
        >The problem you speak of is sometimes the combination of a
        >corrupt, missing, or incorrect version of the riched32.dll found
        >in your Windows System folder and low resources or high CPU usage
        >from another program. Normally, reinstalling the riched32.dll
        >from your Windows CD will correct the problem.

        I forgot to mention that this has happened on two different
        computers. It has happened on my desktop which has an AMD Barton
        2500+ with 1008 megs of ram running Windows XP Home. It has also
        happened on my IBM Thinkpad with a Celeron processor and 512 megs of
        ram running Windows XP Professional.

        Both of these computers have two copies of riched32.dll. One in
        C:\WINDOWS\System and one in C:\WINDOWS\System\dllcache. I have
        compared the two riched32.dll files on my desktop machine and they
        are byte for byte identical.

        Do you still think I should try reinstalling the file? I do not
        have a Windows XP Professional CD. Is the file from the home
        version identical?

        >>Sometimes when I try to type something into NoteTab Standard, the
        >>text appears in the wrong place. For example I might be trying to
        >>type something in the ninth column of line one and it ends up on the
        >>twentieth column of line five.
        >>
        >>It think it has happened only when I was adding something to the
        >>beginning of a large file (over 50 K).

        --
        For some strange reason those of us who are owned by cats
        ascribe motives to the cat that are more benign than the
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 24 10:02 AM
          Hi Daniel,

          You need to reply to this on another list mentioned below. TIA

          Yes, I still recommend the replacement of the riched32.dll. Some
          programs replace it with their version. It is tricky to do
          because if you try to replace it in System, the windows Fault
          Protection might try replacing it with the dllcache version. I
          normally write a Clip in NoteTab to ^!CopyFile to both places
          (two commands) so that it is done at the same time. Please sign
          up for the Clips list if you go that route. You might try putting
          riched32.dll on the Clipboard and pasting it over the dllcache
          copy when the folder it open; click Yes to overwrite, then look
          at the end of the folder to see if in a few seconds the old
          reappears. Windows seems to have priorities on what files to
          use/protect and might fight you trying to do it. If a program
          changed the riched32.dll, you might try reinstalling the WinXP
          only repairing. I'd sign up for the Off Topic list for that (and
          the Clip request can be done there as well). Some of the people
          know the correct command-line to get single files off your
          Windows setup CD. Also see the yahoogroups signature line at the
          bottom of every yahoogroups message for the Clips and Off Topic lists.

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List

          http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm