Text appearing in the wrong place

  • Daniel Prince
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 22, 2006
      Sometimes when I try to type something into NoteTab Standard, the
      text appears in the wrong place. For example I might be trying to
      type something in the ninth column of line one and it ends up on the
      twentieth column of line five.

      It think it has happened only when I was adding something to the
      beginning of a large file (over 50 K).

      Is this a known bug? Thank you in advance for all replies.
      --
      I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
      entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 22, 2006
        Hi Daniel,

        The problem you speak of is sometimes the combination of a
        corrupt, missing, or incorrect version of the riched32.dll found
        in your Windows System folder and low resources or high CPU usage
        from another program. Normally, reinstalling the riched32.dll
        from your Windows CD will correct the problem. If you need help
        with getting the riched32.dll installed, please sign up for the
        NoteTab Off Topic list. (See below.)

        >Sometimes when I try to type something into NoteTab Standard, the
        >text appears in the wrong place. For example I might be trying to
        >type something in the ninth column of line one and it ends up on the
        >twentieth column of line five.
        >
        >It think it has happened only when I was adding something to the
        >beginning of a large file (over 50 K).
        >
        >Is this a known bug? Thank you in advance for all replies.
        >--
        >I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
        >entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
        >automobile entertain one's rear and would it be safe to drive while
        >one's rear was being entertained.

        You may sign up for the different Fookes Software discussion mailing
        lists from either of the links below. Please take a minute or so and
        read this. There are many lists and your help in posting messages
        properly to the different lists is greatly appreciated.

        _Please_ read the following to see what list to send messages to and
        some basic guidelines to follow. It is very important to keep the
        lists running efficiently, getting faster replies, getting replies
        from the best qualified/expert people, searching archives, and other
        things as well.

        - Use a descriptive Subject: line to begin with! This is important!
        Newbie Needs Help and similar Subject lines should be changed
        immediately to an appropriate Subject such as:

        Files Keep Opening When I Open NoteTab (was Re: [NTB] Newbie Needs Help)
        Basic Help With Web Pages (was Re: [NTB] Help)
        Need Clip to Reformat HTML <head>...</head> (was Re: [Clip] Need Clip)

        - Messages should be referred/redirected to the appropriate lists such as
        Clip questions to the Clips list, HTML to the ntb-HTML list. You can Cc:
        the sender of a Clips question and send your reply to the Clips list. Or,
        Reply and Cc: the Clips list stating you will Reply on the Clips list.

        - Delete text from your replies that is not needed to understand your
        reply - strip footers, and extra text that is not needed.

        - If the content of the messages change drastically from the Subject
        line, please change the Subject line or start a new Subject with
        the same message body of the last message received that you are
        replying to and changing the Subject. Don't forget to leave
        the original Subject in like: Re: [NH] Frames Using CSS (was How do
        I blockquote?) for people that are using filters and so the same
        message thread can be followed easier.

        - Discussion of software other than Fookes Software is only allowed
        on the Off-Topic list and encouraged! Feel free to recommend
        competitive software on the Off-Topic list as well. When replying
        say from the Basic List and it needs to go to the Clips list,
        then send it there and copy the poster in a private message to
        the person you are wanting to help letting them know you moved it
        to the Clips list. They can sign up for it via the bottom of
        every [NTB] message or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        - Keep the conversation clean; all age groups are on the list and
        cussing/cursing offends many people! TIA :)

        + WHICH LIST to post on???

        Clips or Scripts list for them.

        discussion takes place on the ntb-OffTopic list. The Aid4Mail,
        MailBag Assistant, Easy Thumbnails, Easy Imager, and Album Express
        lists are for discussion of those programs.

        Discussion mailing list subscribing and unsubscribing:
        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        lists.

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 23, 2006
          On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:38:26 -0600, you wrote:

          >Hi Daniel,
          >
          >The problem you speak of is sometimes the combination of a
          >corrupt, missing, or incorrect version of the riched32.dll found
          >in your Windows System folder and low resources or high CPU usage
          >from another program. Normally, reinstalling the riched32.dll
          >from your Windows CD will correct the problem.

          I forgot to mention that this has happened on two different
          computers. It has happened on my desktop which has an AMD Barton
          2500+ with 1008 megs of ram running Windows XP Home. It has also
          happened on my IBM Thinkpad with a Celeron processor and 512 megs of
          ram running Windows XP Professional.

          Both of these computers have two copies of riched32.dll. One in
          C:\WINDOWS\System and one in C:\WINDOWS\System\dllcache. I have
          compared the two riched32.dll files on my desktop machine and they
          are byte for byte identical.

          Do you still think I should try reinstalling the file? I do not
          have a Windows XP Professional CD. Is the file from the home
          version identical?

          >>Sometimes when I try to type something into NoteTab Standard, the
          >>text appears in the wrong place. For example I might be trying to
          >>type something in the ninth column of line one and it ends up on the
          >>twentieth column of line five.
          >>
          >>It think it has happened only when I was adding something to the
          >>beginning of a large file (over 50 K).

          --
          For some strange reason those of us who are owned by cats
          ascribe motives to the cat that are more benign than the
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 24, 2006
            Hi Daniel,

            You need to reply to this on another list mentioned below. TIA

            Yes, I still recommend the replacement of the riched32.dll. Some
            programs replace it with their version. It is tricky to do
            because if you try to replace it in System, the windows Fault
            Protection might try replacing it with the dllcache version. I
            normally write a Clip in NoteTab to ^!CopyFile to both places
            (two commands) so that it is done at the same time. Please sign
            up for the Clips list if you go that route. You might try putting
            riched32.dll on the Clipboard and pasting it over the dllcache
            copy when the folder it open; click Yes to overwrite, then look
            at the end of the folder to see if in a few seconds the old
            reappears. Windows seems to have priorities on what files to
            use/protect and might fight you trying to do it. If a program
            changed the riched32.dll, you might try reinstalling the WinXP
            only repairing. I'd sign up for the Off Topic list for that (and
            the Clip request can be done there as well). Some of the people
            know the correct command-line to get single files off your
            Windows setup CD. Also see the yahoogroups signature line at the
            bottom of every yahoogroups message for the Clips and Off Topic lists.

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm