Need to alphabetize a list. Function for that?

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
      Hi:

      I have a very long mailing list that I want to clean.

      Have set it up in Notetab with one address per line. Now I need to
      alphabetize the addresses. Is there a function to alphabetize a list?
      Not finding any mention of it in the Help files, but I was under the
      impression Notetab has that capability.

      If so, how do I do this?

      Thanks,
      kwc
    • Jeff Scism
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
        Right click the top Tool Boar, and choose properties. This gives a list
        of available function Buttons to add to the tool bar, Add Checks to Sort
        ascending for normal sorting (A>Z), and sort descending for reverse
        sorting (Z>A) While you are there, look at some of the other functions,
        you may like what is available.

        ken winston caine wrote:

        > Hi:
        >
        > I have a very long mailing list that I want to clean.
        >
        > Have set it up in Notetab with one address per line. Now I need to
        > alphabetize the addresses. Is there a function to alphabetize a list?
        > Not finding any mention of it in the Help files, but I was under the
        > impression Notetab has that capability.
        >
        > If so, how do I do this?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > kwc

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
          ken winston caine wrote:
          > Hi:
          >
          > I have a very long mailing list that I want to clean.
          >
          > Have set it up in Notetab with one address per line. Now I need to
          > alphabetize the addresses. Is there a function to alphabetize a list?
          > Not finding any mention of it in the Help files, but I was under the
          > impression Notetab has that capability.
          >
          > If so, how do I do this?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > kwc

          Go to Toolbar menu, Modify > Lines > Sort > Ascending or Descending. I
          think also, you'll find the hotkeys Shift_Ctrl+X for ascending sorts,
          Shift+Ctrl+Y for descending sorts.

          ºvº
          06.01.30
          "Meandering to a different drummer."
          hrs ø hsavage@...
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
            Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.

            To set this "rule"

            Click on VIEW on the Tool Bar, Choose OPTIONS

            Click the TOOLS tab, and check "sort removes duplicates"

            Another option found there is case sensitive sorting.

            ken winston caine wrote:

            > Hi:
            >
            > I have a very long mailing list that I want to clean.
            >
            > Have set it up in Notetab with one address per line. Now I need to
            > alphabetize the addresses. Is there a function to alphabetize a list?
            > Not finding any mention of it in the Help files, but I was under the
            > impression Notetab has that capability.
            >
            > If so, how do I do this?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > kwc

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • ken winston caine
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Scism <scismgenie@a...> wrote:

              > Right click the top Tool Boar, and choose properties. This gives a
              list
              > of available function Buttons to add to the tool bar, Add Checks to
              Sort
              > ascending for normal sorting (A>Z)<snip>

              thank you, thank you, thank you! i knew it was here somewhere. tried
              typing "alphabetize" into the search function in the help files and
              came up dry. probably if i'd used the magic word "sort" this would have
              turned up. thanks, jeff.
            • F.M. Balster-Philips van Buren
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                On 30 Jan 2006 at 8:21, Jeff Scism wrote:

                > Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.
                >
                > To set this "rule"
                >
                > Click on VIEW on the Tool Bar, Choose OPTIONS
                >
                > Click the TOOLS tab, and check "sort removes duplicates"

                That would be far to dangerous for *me* to use! <G> I bet I'll forget
                to switch that off next time I have to sort a long list of names. The
                risk is high one of two, say, "Paul Jones" would vanish, even if they
                are not alike... :-)

                Fred
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                  F.M. Balster-Philips van Buren wrote:
                  > On 30 Jan 2006 at 8:21, Jeff Scism wrote:
                  >
                  >> Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.
                  >>
                  >> To set this "rule"
                  >>
                  >> Click on VIEW on the Tool Bar, Choose OPTIONS
                  >>
                  >> Click the TOOLS tab, and check "sort removes duplicates"
                  >
                  > That would be far to dangerous for *me* to use! <G> I bet I'll forget
                  > to switch that off next time I have to sort a long list of names. The
                  > risk is high one of two, say, "Paul Jones" would vanish, even if they
                  > are not alike... :-)
                  >
                  > Fred

                  Fred,

                  You have a point but remember, NoteTab is sorting by lines, that means
                  the entire line would have to match. Any difference, middle initial,
                  address or other wouldn't qualify as a match.

                  Capitalization, doesn't matter unless you set that option in menu View >
                  Options > Tools > Case Sensitive Sorting.

                  Match
                  match
                  MATCH

                  would result in 1 word left,

                  Match

                  With Case Sensitive Sorting you'd be left with;

                  match
                  Match
                  MATCH

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                    It sorts by Line of text, so both full lines would have to be identical
                    to be trimmed out.

                    It also moves blank lines to the end of the document.

                    I use it on HTML coded pages, (like TD Tags), But I have to assure the
                    whole section is one continuous line ( Join Lines) and word Wrap is
                    turned off, so the sort comes out the way I want it to,)

                    Note Tab does some wonderful things.

                    F.M. Balster-Philips van Buren wrote:
                    > On 30 Jan 2006 at 8:21, Jeff Scism wrote:
                    >

                    >>Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.
                    >>
                    >>To set this "rule"
                    >>
                    >>Click on VIEW on the Tool Bar, Choose OPTIONS
                    >>
                    >>Click the TOOLS tab, and check "sort removes duplicates"
                    >

                    > That would be far to dangerous for *me* to use! <G> I bet I'll forget
                    > to switch that off next time I have to sort a long list of names. The
                    > risk is high one of two, say, "Paul Jones" would vanish, even if they
                    > are not alike... :-)
                    >
                    > Fred

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Don - htmlfixit.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                      F.M.Balster-Philips van Buren wrote:
                      > On 30 Jan 2006 at 8:21, Jeff Scism wrote:
                      >

                      >>Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.
                      >>
                      >>To set this "rule"

                      Jody's noteblock library has some good sorting stuff in there too, you
                      might check those out for some additional power.
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 30, 2006
                        Hi Don and F.M.,

                        Thanks for the mention Don. :) ...

                        >>>Note Tab will also remove duplicates in the alphabetized list.
                        >>>
                        >>>To set this "rule"
                        >>>
                        >Jody's noteblock library has some good sorting stuff in there
                        >too, you might check those out for some additional power.

                        You might try my NoteSort as well. It can remove dups, trips,
                        etc. and sort. http://www.notetab.net/zip/notesort.zip It's
                        actually a pretty neat Library IMO. The Shorties Clips for
                        instance, takes titles and makes all the insignificant words in
                        lowercase. There's one to do <title>tags</title> the same way. ;)
                        Sorts in like a card catalog fashion where like titles stating
                        with insignificant words like (a, an, the, etc, are ignored for
                        sorting. I did it for a Librarian and he said it saved him
                        thousands of hours of work. There's some other stuff too that you
                        don't find in everyday Clips and some are there to help aid
                        people in getting word counts, learning a bit about functions,
                        etc.

                        Here's the headers/Clip names:

                        NoteSort Information Happy NoteTabbin'! http://www.notetab.net .
                        Quick Links...

                        Append Files...
                        Sort Paragraphs...
                        Count Paragraphs...
                        Insert - Edit
                        Sort *.fvr by Filenames
                        Sort Links >abc</a> !!! Select text/links first !!!

                        Delete ^p^p Paragraph
                        About Word Extract
                        Word Extract-Sort...

                        Format Titles http://www.notetab.net ~
                        Setup Shorties...
                        Do <title>
                        Do Between Specified
                        Capitalize
                        Add Shortie...
                        Remove Shortie...

                        Catalog Format
                        Test Text
                        Do Titles
                        ReOrder Catalog
                        Sort Paragraphs:
                        Angelo's Special
                        Setup II
                        Test Text II
                        Do Punctuation

                        Quick Sorts Happy NoteTabbin'! http://www.notetab.net
                        Sort Selection... Manually select the text to be sorted first.
                        Ascend, Save-Dups Select text first: sorts ascending, case sensitive, does not remove duplicates.
                        Sort Descending Select text first: sorts descending, case sensitive, does not remove duplicates.
                        Ascend, Rem-Dups Select text first: sorts ascending, case sensitive, removes duplicates.
                        Sort Sorts selection. If nothing is selected sorts full document.
                        Descend, Rem-Dups Select text first: sorts descending, case sensitive, removes duplicates.
                        Transpose/Sort Names

                        Text Formatter Happy NoteTabbin'! http://www.notetab.net .
                        Format Text... A quick way to format text. Does the same as the Toolbar format.
                        Split Text... Splits the text at a specified column width - more options...
                        Fix Lines Whole document: text is converted to Dos/Windows format
                        Lower Case Selection is converted to lower case.
                        Upper Case Selection is converted to upper case.
                        Rem-Double Blanks Removes double blanks and leaves all single in whole document.
                        Trim Selection Removes all blank spaces on each side of selection.
                        Formatter...

                        File Stuff Happy NoteTabbin'! http://www.notetab.net .
                        Append To File Appends the specified text to the end of a disk file
                        TextToFile Creates a disk file containing the specified text.
                        AppendToDesktop... Dialog comes up, appends selection or whole doc to file on desktop.
                        CopyToDeskTop Copies the open file to desktop using document name as the shortcut name.
                        SelectionToDeskTop... Makes a file of selected text on the desktop.
                        Copy to Floppy

                        WinZip Stuff
                        WinZip Multi-Files...
                        WinZip-Extract...

                        Information Clips Happy NoteTabbin'! http://www.notetab.net .
                        Count Occurrences... Count the number of occurrences words and phrases are found.
                        GetDate Returns current date/time formatted according to the date mask [Date and Time filters].
                        GetDocCount Returns the number of open documents in editor.
                        GetFileSpecs Returns the file specification for the focused file.
                        GetLineSize
                        GetLineCount Returns total number of lines in the current document.
                        GetParaCount Returns total number of paragraphs in the current document.
                        GetPasteboardDivider Returns the value of the Paste Board divider.
                        GetRow-Col Returns Row:Column index of cursor in current document.
                        GetSelSize Returns size of selection in current document.
                        GetTextLineCount Similar to ^$GetParaCount$ but ignores the blank line at the end of the text - if any.
                        GetTextSize Returns the text size in the current document.

                        About This Library Get more Libraries at: http://www.notetab.net
                        NoteTab MailLists Get more Libraries at: http://www.notetab.net