Thanks for all the Suppor and Knowledge

  • Casper Labuschagne
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 29, 2006
      Hi all,

      It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to NoteTab Pro
      and to this group.
      I have moved my office and development environments entirely to Ubuntu
      Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I will miss ex
      Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless workhorse, NoteTab Pro.

      The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull editor but
      just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that NoteTab Pro has been
      since 1998!

      And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless tips over
      many, many years!

      Kind regards

      Casper Labuschagne

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
        Hi Casper,

        Sorry to see you leave. Fookes Software products will run under
        MAC using an emulator program like Virtual PC and under Linux
        with the special Windows versions or with Wine (and other
        methods). Search the Off Topic list for Linux and especially look
        for Larry Hamilton's messages. He has some exhaustive messages on
        it and says that NoteTab runs well in Linux. The link to the Off
        Topic list is at the bottom of every [NTB] message, or you can go
        to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        >It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to
        >NoteTab Pro and to this group.
        >I have moved my office and development environments entirely to
        >Ubuntu Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I
        >will miss ex Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless
        >workhorse, NoteTab Pro.
        >
        >The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull
        >editor but just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that
        >NoteTab Pro has been since 1998!
        >
        >And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless
        >tips over many, many years!

        Happy Topics,
        Jody

        The NoteTab Off-Topic List

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
          Casper Labuschagne wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >
          > It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to NoteTab Pro
          > and to this group.
          > I have moved my office and development environments entirely to Ubuntu
          > Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I will miss ex
          > Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless workhorse, NoteTab Pro.
          >
          > The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull editor but
          > just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that NoteTab Pro has been
          > since 1998!
          >
          > And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless tips over
          > many, many years!
          >
          > Kind regards
          >
          > Casper Labuschagne

          Bye Casper. Get a bit of wine one of these days and come back and visit
          us ... cause you can run notetab on linux with some wine!
        • Adrien Verlee
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
            Op ma, 30-01-2006 te 15:08 -0500, schreef Don - htmlfixit.com:
            > Bye Casper. Get a bit of wine one of these days and come back and
            > visit us ... cause you can run notetab on linux with some wine!

            Is it run faultless on Linux? Are you certain? I do not know, I just
            ask :-)
            Because I did have a bad experience with another fine windows program
            (WinSCP) with a build-in editor for small corrections on webpages.
            When I did make a minor correction (just one word), there was a program
            crash and the file was zero bytes long.
            --
            adrien
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2006
              Adrien Verlee wrote:
              > Op ma, 30-01-2006 te 15:08 -0500, schreef Don - htmlfixit.com:
              >
              >>Bye Casper. Get a bit of wine one of these days and come back and
              >>visit us ... cause you can run notetab on linux with some wine!
              >

              > Is it run faultless on Linux? Are you certain? I do not know, I just
              > ask :-)
              > Because I did have a bad experience with another fine windows program
              > (WinSCP) with a build-in editor for small corrections on webpages.
              > When I did make a minor correction (just one word), there was a program
              > crash and the file was zero bytes long.
              I am told that it runs "straight up" under wine. There are a couple of
              members who have done it and one built a "how to" site. Check the archives.

              Don
            • rpdooling
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                Casper,

                What's wrong with using VM Player? It's free, meaning you can run as
                many operating systems as you want.

                http://www.vmware.com/

                Also the latest numbers (posted today on slashdot) show that, in many
                cases, Wine is faster than Windows XP. Believe it or not.

                http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5

                </rd>
                http://dooling.com

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Casper Labuschagne" <casperl@k...> wrote:

                > Hi all,
                >
                > It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to NoteTab
                Pro
                > and to this group.
                > I have moved my office and development environments entirely to Ubuntu
                > Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I will miss ex
                > Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless workhorse, NoteTab Pro.
                >
                > The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull
                editor but
                > just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that NoteTab Pro has
                been
                > since 1998!
                >
                > And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless tips
                over
                > many, many years!
                >
                > Kind regards
                >
                > Casper Labuschagne
                >
                > --

              • Scott Fordin
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                  Don't forget about emacs! It's not as cool as Notetab, of course,
                  but it's a really good thing when you don't have Wine to run
                  Notetab.

                  Scott

                  rpdooling wrote:
                  > Casper,
                  >
                  > What's wrong with using VM Player? It's free, meaning you can run as
                  > many operating systems as you want.
                  >
                  > http://www.vmware.com/
                  >
                  > Also the latest numbers (posted today on slashdot) show that, in many
                  > cases, Wine is faster than Windows XP. Believe it or not.
                  >
                  > http://wiki.winehq.org/BenchMark-0.9.5
                  >
                  > </rd>
                  > http://dooling.com
                  >

                  > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Casper Labuschagne" <casperl@k...> wrote:
                  >>Hi all,
                  >>
                  >>It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to NoteTab
                  > Pro
                  >>and to this group.
                  >>I have moved my office and development environments entirely to Ubuntu
                  >>Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I will miss ex
                  >>Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless workhorse, NoteTab Pro.
                  >>
                  >>The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull
                  > editor but
                  >>just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that NoteTab Pro has
                  > been
                  >>since 1998!
                  >>
                  >>And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless tips
                  > over
                  >>many, many years!
                  >>
                  >>Kind regards
                  >>
                  >>Casper Labuschagne
                  >>
                  >>--
                  >>Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 31, 2006
                    Great to hear that there is now a FREE VMware option. Last I checked,
                    maybe a month ago, only the $150 version was offered! Has anyone on
                    this list used VMware? Maybe we could start a discussion on the OT
                    list? I have lots of questions . . .

                    sisterscape

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                      Hi sisterscape and Others reading this thread,

                      >Great to hear that there is now a FREE VMware option. Last I
                      >checked, maybe a month ago, only the $150 version was offered!
                      >Has anyone on this list used VMware? Maybe we could start a
                      >discussion on the OT list? I have lots of questions . . .

                      Yes, please take over to the Off-Topic list at this point. Thanks
                      for mentioning sisterscape! http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm or
                      bottom of every [NTB] message. :)

                      Happy Topics,
                      Jody

                      The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                      http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
                    • Stefan Elssner
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2006
                        Hi Casper,

                        besides getting NoteTab runnig on Linux, (which is possible for all I
                        know), becoming familiar, if not even friends (as time goes... ;) with
                        the Vim is not the baddest thing at all. I would say.

                        http://www.vim.org may help a little during the learning time, esp.
                        the tips section.

                        maybe most important:
                        Tip #305: Best of VIM Tips (VIM's best Features)
                        (http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?tip_id=305)

                        I have learned a lot from that "best of" tips collection, even after
                        using vi/vim for some years before. It's short and comprehensive, but
                        when you really can't make anything out of some of it just try to
                        enter ":help <what you dont know>" into your vim (when in command
                        mode, sure) and see ...

                        or type ":help " and the first chars of a term, then hit <TAB> as
                        often as you like - vim will scroll you through all the possible
                        matches in it's help..

                        May you getting NoteTab run on your Linux, and may you have fun with
                        Vim nevertheless... :)

                        Stefan

                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Casper Labuschagne" <casperl@...> wrote:

                        > Hi all,
                        >
                        > It is with not a little sadness that I am saying goodbye to NoteTab
                        Pro
                        > and to this group.
                        > I have moved my office and development environments entirely to Ubuntu
                        > Linux (DIE WINDOWS!) and the one thing above all that I will miss ex
                        > Windows is my trusty sidekick and tireless workhorse, NoteTab Pro.
                        >
                        > The intricacies of VIM now feature in my life, IMHO a powerfull
                        editor but
                        > just not the trusty friend and magnificent tool that NoteTab Pro has
                        been
                        > since 1998!
                        >
                        > And thanks to this group for the sterling support and countless tips
                        over
                        > many, many years!
                        >
                        > Kind regards
                        >
                        > Casper Labuschagne
                        >
                        > --

                      • lm_hamilton
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2, 2006
                          > Is it run faultless on Linux? Are you certain? I do not know, I just
                          > ask :-)
                          > Because I did have a bad experience with another fine windows program
                          > (WinSCP) with a build-in editor for small corrections on webpages.
                          > When I did make a minor correction (just one word), there was a program
                          > crash and the file was zero bytes long.
                          > --
                          > adrien

                          Adrien,

                          It is not faultless on wine, but with each new version of wine, it
                          gets better. I just updated to Wine 0.9.2 on Fedora Core 3, and it
                          runs a little better than with 0.9. Wine is up to version 0.9.4, but
                          does not yet have an installer for my version of Linux, and I do not
                          have time to compile it from scratch right now.

                          There are some features and clip commands that do not run, but text
                          editing and outlines and most of my most used clips work without
                          modification. It will copy and past to and from the Linux clipboard,
                          but the pasteboard feature only works from one tab to another in NoteTab.

                          I put together a FAQ on running NoteTab on Linux with Wine.
                          http://www.kairoscomputers.com/notetab/NoteTabLinuxAnalysis.php

                          My last update to that page was for Wine 0.9 and NoteTab Pro 4.95. I
                          have also gotten all the other Fookes software to run and they work
                          well with Wine.

                          I do not check this list often since it has so much activity, but I do
                          follow all the other NoteTab lists. This topic is best on the NoteTab
                          Off Topic List.

                          HTH,

                          Larry Hamilton