Re: [NTB] Trying to figure out how to install and use a clip

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
      Maybe I need to go to a different forum to pursue this. Jody will
      let me know, I'm sure.

      The clips do indeed show at the bottom of my Notetab screen. But
      when I click on them, they do nothing (or at least nothing that I
      can perceive).

      I was expecting the Sort Favorites by name clip to alphabetize my
      favorites. It didn't make any change in how they are listed.

      I had expected the "reopen alphabetically" clip to re-open the 20 or
      so files (stacked tabs) but put them in alphabetical order by
      filename. When I clicked on it, nothing perceptible happened.

      Possible I don't have these installed right? Or am I
      misunderstanding what they are intended to do?

      I did, per John's suggestion, close and reboot Notetab and try
      again. Same (lack of) results.

      Thanks,
      kwc

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:

      > Indeed they are, Lee! Thanks.
      >
      > Now let me try them.
      >
      > Best,
      > kwc
      >

      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ken,
      > >
      > > They should be displayed at the bottom of your screen, within
      > > NoteTab. Select one with your mouse and then you can open it
      using
      > > [F4] or by pressing [ESC] and then scrolling down to find the
      > desired clip.
      > >
      > > Lee
      > >

      > > On 1/27/2006 01:45 PM, ken winston caine wrote:
      > >
      > > >Have just "snatched" two clips from Jody's snatch-a-clip page:
      > > >
      > > >- One to let me organizae my favorites alphabetically by file
      > name.
      > > >
      > > >- A second that (I think/hope) will open multiple tabbed files
      in
      > > >alphabetical order.
      > > >
      > > >I saved both scripts to Libraries as .clb files.
      > > >
      > > >Have no idea what to do next to get them to appear on my
      clipbar
      > so
      > > >that I can use them.
      > > >
      > > >Started to read through the "clip programming" help file, but
      it
      > is way
      > > >beyond me. Are there some simple instructions somewhere for how
      > > >install and use a clip?
      > > >
      > > >Thanks,
      > > >kwc

      > > --
      > 1/27/2006

    • ken winston caine
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
        Maybe I need to go to a different forum to pursue this. Jody will
        let me know, I'm sure.

        The clips do indeed show at the bottom of my Notetab screen. But
        when I click on them, they do nothing (or at least nothing that I
        can perceive).

        I was expecting the Sort Favorites by name clip to alphabetize my
        favorites. It didn't make any change in how they are listed.

        I had expected the "reopen alphabetically" clip to re-open the 20 or
        so files (stacked tabs) but put them in alphabetical order by
        filename. When I clicked on it, nothing perceptible happened.

        Possible I don't have these installed right? Or am I
        misunderstanding what they are intended to do?

        I did, per John's suggestion, close and reboot Notetab and try
        again. Same (lack of) results.

        Thanks,
        kwc

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:

        > Indeed they are, Lee! Thanks.
        >
        > Now let me try them.
        >
        > Best,
        > kwc
        >

        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Lee Underwood <leeu@c...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Ken,
        > >
        > > They should be displayed at the bottom of your screen, within
        > > NoteTab. Select one with your mouse and then you can open it
        using
        > > [F4] or by pressing [ESC] and then scrolling down to find the
        > desired clip.
        > >
        > > Lee
        > >

        > > On 1/27/2006 01:45 PM, ken winston caine wrote:
        > >
        > > >Have just "snatched" two clips from Jody's snatch-a-clip page:
        > > >
        > > >- One to let me organizae my favorites alphabetically by file
        > name.
        > > >
        > > >- A second that (I think/hope) will open multiple tabbed files
        in
        > > >alphabetical order.
        > > >
        > > >I saved both scripts to Libraries as .clb files.
        > > >
        > > >Have no idea what to do next to get them to appear on my
        clipbar
        > so
        > > >that I can use them.
        > > >
        > > >Started to read through the "clip programming" help file, but
        it
        > is way
        > > >beyond me. Are there some simple instructions somewhere for how
        > > >install and use a clip?
        > > >
        > > >Thanks,
        > > >kwc

        > > --
        > 1/27/2006

      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
          ken winston caine wrote:

          > Maybe I need to go to a different forum to pursue this. Jody will
          > let me know, I'm sure.
          >
          > The clips do indeed show at the bottom of my Notetab screen. But
          > when I click on them, they do nothing (or at least nothing that I
          > can perceive).

          Okay, when you click on the button a window to the left should open I think.
          You can also open this by using the f4 button and then going to the
          library you want with the drop down menu near the top of this new pane.

          When you are in the right library in this pane at the left, then you
          need to double click on the clip name shown there that you want to run.
          That should actually do the job of running the clip.

          If we want to discuss mechanics of clips there is a clips email list for
          the more extended discussion.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 27, 2006
            Hi Ken,

            >Maybe I need to go to a different forum to pursue this. Jody will
            >let me know, I'm sure.
            >
            >The clips do indeed show at the bottom of my Notetab screen. But
            >when I click on them, they do nothing (or at least nothing that I
            >can perceive).

            Clips are the items inside a Clipbook Library, or normally called
            a Library. The buttons that you see on the bottom of the screen
            are on the Libraries bar (View menu). They activate a Library in
            the Clipbook, normally (docked) on the left side of the screen.
            F4 toggles the Clipbook Library (or just Clipbook) open/closed. I
            find it easiest to refer to the pane on the left as the Clipbook
            and it "holds" so to speak the Libraries, and the Libraries have
            the individual Clips in them.

            >I was expecting the Sort Favorites by name clip to alphabetize my
            >favorites. It didn't make any change in how they are listed.

            First, to run a Clip, to execute it, you must make it show up in
            the Clipbook by activating the Library that it is in. You can do
            that from the Libraries bar at the bottom of the screen, by
            typing the first few letters of the name of the Library into the
            small combo box on top of it that is part of the Clipbook
            window/pane on the left, or by using the drop down arrow. (Use
            can use Alt+0-9 if you are a keyboard person and don't have to
            many Libraries and have a good memory. ;) Anyway, if you have
            "Single click to Execute" checked in View | Options under the
            Clipbook tab (?), you just click once on a Clip to run it whether
            it just pastes text into a document or does the real fancy stuff
            you see done over on the Clips list and in some Libraries.
            (Otherwise you double left click. There's also a right click
            content menu for every Clip listed - all the same, but there is
            like: New Clip, Edit Clip, Save Now...)

            >I had expected the "reopen alphabetically" clip to re-open the 20 or
            >so files (stacked tabs) but put them in alphabetical order by
            >filename. When I clicked on it, nothing perceptible happened.

            I think that is what they do. <g> I built those years ago.

            >Possible I don't have these installed right? Or am I
            >misunderstanding what they are intended to do?

            See above. See the page below about the Clipbar. It also has some
            basic Clip stuff in it. Please post over on the Clips list (see
            below or at the bottom of any message) to discuss Clips
            themselves as far as writing, editing, etc. Please feel free to
            take the time to actually read the list rules below to. haha

            (Oh, you don't need to post to say you are sorry about double
            posting, just to say thank you (especially w/o deleting unneeded
            text), and other stuff that just adds more text to the lists that
            aren't really necessary. You can always say thanks in another
            post on down the road. ;) We all know most everybody is thankful.
            Thanks in advance! (TIA;) Just a friendly reminder for everybody.

            You might find some of the following links useful...

            + Various Documents and Jody's NoteTab Site
            + Clipbook/Clip Tutorial, Write Your Own Clips!
            + Online FAQ and Download in Outline Format
            + Aid4Mail
            + Discussion Mailing Lists

            Extra Help for NoteTab's Clipbar (and basic Clip editing)
            http://www.notetab.net/html/clipbar.htm

            Clipbook Repository: http://www.notetab.com/libraries.php

            NoteTab's Comparison Chart
            http://www.notetab.net/html/chart.htm

            Clipbook Clip Writing Tutorial by Jody Adair
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cliptut.htm <-- Coming in the future...
            http://www.notetab.net/zip/cliptut.zip <-- Available now!
            (Unzip/extract to NoteTab's Libraries folder.)

            From the NoteTab Fookes Software Support Desk by Jody Adair
            http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb <-- Online Now!!!...
            http://www.notetab.net/faq/ntb/faq-ntb.otl.zip <-- Outline format...
            From the Fookes Software Support Desk (mbg,a4m, etc.) <-- Coming in the future...

            All You Want and do Not Want to Know About the NoteTab Upgrade Procedure :)
            http://www.notetab.net/html/howupdate.htm

            CD-ROM Information
            http://www.notetab.net/html/cd-info.htm

            The NoteTabbers Assistant Page (my personal NoteTab site)
            Get many useful free Clips and Libraries: http://www.notetab.net

            Other software that you may find useful; I use the most of it
            daily. They are at my affiliates site:

            Sojourner's Five Wink Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software

            A lot of it integrates directly and seamlessly in NoteTab like
            the most excellent thesaurus WordWeb! (freeware and shareware
            versions - it replaces NoteTab's so that when you press F11 it
            brings up the word that the cursor is on. It is a must download!)

            Other software that integrates with NoteTab is CSE HTML
            Validator, a must have for web page authors, and TopStyle, a CSS
            editor; freeware and shareware versions available too! Both work
            off NoteTab's Tools menu and customizable shortcuts can be made
            for them. When CSE HTML Validator is used a Clipbook Library is
            created that has the Clips for the errors, warnings, messages,
            and when you click on one it brings you right to the line with
            the problem. There's a number of other excellent software
            programs listed there as well. Thanks for taking the time to
            visit it:

            Sojourner's Five Wink Software: http://www.sojourner.us/software

            Convert and Archive your eMail - over 20 email formats supported!
            http://www.aid4mail.com (Fookes Software Main Site)
            http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail (Jody's Affialite Site, Tutorial's Coming!)

            Fookes Software Products Page
            http://www.fookes.com/products.php (Fookes Software Main Site)
            http://www.fookes.us (Jody's Affialite Site)

            You may sign up for the different Fookes Software discussion mailing
            lists from either of the links below. Please take a minute or so and
            read this. There are many lists and your help in posting messages
            properly to the different lists is greatly appreciated.

            _Please_ read the following to see what list to send messages to and
            some basic guidelines to follow. It is very important to keep the
            lists running efficiently, getting faster replies, getting replies
            from the best qualified/expert people, searching archives, and other
            things as well.

            - Use a descriptive Subject: line to begin with! This is important!
            Newbie Needs Help and similar Subject lines should be changed
            immediately to an appropriate Subject such as:

            Files Keep Opening When I Open NoteTab (was Re: [NTB] Newbie Needs Help)
            Basic Help With Web Pages (was Re: [NTB] Help)
            Need Clip to Reformat HTML <head>...</head> (was Re: [Clip] Need Clip)

            - Messages should be referred/redirected to the appropriate lists such as
            Clip questions to the Clips list, HTML to the ntb-HTML list. You can Cc:
            the sender of a Clips question and send your reply to the Clips list. Or,
            Reply and Cc: the Clips list stating you will Reply on the Clips list.

            - Delete text from your replies that is not needed to understand your
            reply - strip footers, and extra text that is not needed.

            - If the content of the messages change drastically from the Subject
            line, please change the Subject line or start a new Subject with
            the same message body of the last message received that you are
            replying to and changing the Subject. Don't forget to leave
            the original Subject in like: Re: [NH] Frames Using CSS (was How do
            I blockquote?) for people that are using filters and so the same
            message thread can be followed easier.

            - Discussion of software other than Fookes Software is only allowed
            on the Off-Topic list and encouraged! Feel free to recommend
            competitive software on the Off-Topic list as well. When replying
            say from the Basic List and it needs to go to the Clips list,
            then send it there and copy the poster in a private message to
            the person you are wanting to help letting them know you moved it
            to the Clips list. They can sign up for it via the bottom of
            every [NTB] message or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            - Keep the conversation clean; all age groups are on the list and
            cussing/cursing offends many people! TIA :)

            + WHICH LIST to post on???

            Clips or Scripts list for them.

            are for discussion of those programs.

            Discussion mailing list subscribing and unsubscribing:
            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            lists.

            Happy Tab'n,