Re: [NTB] Differentiating two separate installations

  • Fay Johnston
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

      > The Problem:
      >
      > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
      > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
      > _________________________________
      I don't know about OTL, because I don't use that, but in file associations
      in NoteTab Light I have txt, and in html files in NoteTab Pro I have html
      and other file types, but nothing in associations at all. Text files open in
      NT Light, the others open in Pro. (I haven't said "Replace Windows NotePad"
      in either.) I dare say that the same idea would work with two instances of
      Pro, and there's no harm in trying.
    • Vance E. Neff
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
        Hi ericbj,

        Try renaming the version (NOTETAB.EXE) you want to use with the OTL
        files and then use explorer to assign .OTL files to it.

        Vance

        ericbj@... wrote:

        > The Problem:
        >
        > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
        > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
        > _________________________________
        >
        > I use outline files for organising information
        > and gaining easy access to key files. However
        > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
        > the key OTL files take a time to find.
        >
        > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
        > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
        > fine as long as the files are opened from :
        > File menu --> Open
        >
        > But it would be helpful to be able also to
        > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
        > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
        > files to open them in the other.
        >
        > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
        > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
        > OTL --> open with --> Other
        > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
        > in F:\NoteTab\ .
        > But the OTL files still open in
        > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
        >
        > Any suggestions ?
        >
        > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
        > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
        > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
        > found, this would be helpful.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ericbj
        >
        > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
        > SP4.

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          ericbj@... wrote:
          > The Problem:
          >
          > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
          > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
          > _________________________________
          >
          > I use outline files for organising information
          > and gaining easy access to key files. However
          > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
          > the key OTL files take a time to find.
          >
          > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
          > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
          > fine as long as the files are opened from :
          > File menu --> Open

          I have no actual knowledge, but I would try naming my second copy of
          notetab.exe something else. This may or may not work! Then do a file
          association with each type to notetab2.exe or notetab.ext. Some
          programs have to be called what they are supposed to be called to work
          right. I don't think that is true for notetab, but you might let us
          know if you try it.
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
            Hi ericbj

            > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
            > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
            > _________________________________
            >
            > I use outline files for organising information
            > and gaining easy access to key files. However
            > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
            > the key OTL files take a time to find.
            >
            > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
            > NoteTab, on another partition.

            Haven't you gone over the top?

            Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
            focus to a few key files quickly!

            Greg
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              > Haven't you gone over the top?
              >
              > Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
              > focus to a few key files quickly!
              >
              > Greg

              That occurred to me too Greg. Seems much simpler. Just permit multiple
              instances, and open twice, putting otl's in one instance and txt's in
              the other. But I think my method might work.
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                Hi ericbj,

                > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?

                Maybe I am missing something here, but in one copy of NoteTab go
                to View | Options | Associations and type "otl" without the
                quotes in the upper field, then press OK and close the dialog so
                that the registry gets updated. Do the same thing in your other
                copy of NoteTab, but this time add the other file extension.

                > But it would be helpful to be able also to
                > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
                > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
                > files to open them in the other.
                >
                > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
                > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
                > OTL --> open with --> Other
                > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
                > in F:\NoteTab\ .
                > But the OTL files still open in
                > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
                >
                > Any suggestions ?

                NoteTab is not a good program to make file associations via
                Windows Explorer (or My Computer) in. The description has to be
                exactly the way NoteTab wants them, else funny things can to
                happen and backup to what the last association may not be there
                anymore by using Windows Explorer. At least that is the way it
                was in pastimes. You should always use its Associations tab in
                Options.

                > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
                > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
                > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
                > found, this would be helpful.

                Please do not discuss the following on this list, but rather take
                it to the Off Topic list. TIA

                They are in kept in NoteTab's executable (NotePro.exe or
                NoteTab.exe) You need a program that will show all the icons in
                the executable. There are many around for free and here is on I
                have installed out of a few. (Some don't seem to support all file
                types.) IconXtracter Program is easy to use and only a 941.7 Kb
                download. Please go to the off topic list (see footer) if you
                want to discuss the utility. You can save an icon as ICO or BMP.
                Other programs like Irfan_View will let you save as a lot of
                different formats, but lacks the ability of showing all the
                different icons stored in the executable or DLL.

                In the program I clicked on the Help "Visit Home" link:
                http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/

                IconXtracter Program
                http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/Xtract08.exe

                > Thanks,
                > ericbj
                >
                > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
                > SP4.

                Happy Tab'n,

              • rpdooling
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                  eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                  eric> OTL files take a time to find.

                  This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                  and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                  it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                  the welter of open files?

                  rpd

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                    rpdooling wrote:
                    > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                    > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                    >
                    > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                    > and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                    > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                    > the welter of open files?
                    >
                    > rpd

                    I was going to let the thread play out, but now that I know you have a
                    headache ...
                    Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                    extension? Is there such a clip?
                  • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                      Dear All,

                      Many thanks for all that advice.

                      I find that using two installations of Notetab
                      makes life in some degree simpler. The two
                      installations can be configured differently,
                      with different default directories, fewer clip
                      libraries installed, and above all fewer files
                      open. The number of TXT files open at any one
                      time tends to build up until I may have about
                      twenty to thirty of them.

                      But thanks all the same for reminding me of
                      "Favourites" which I have not been using
                      lately.

                      Changing the name of the program file, then
                      changing the OTL file association in Windows
                      Explorer, seems to work for me. (despite the
                      fact that to start with there was only only one
                      visible "Notetab" to choose from in the
                      selection window -- now there are two entries
                      -- different, but with identical name).

                      Things appear to be working alright, touch wood.

                      ( Changing the file association under NoteTab did
                      not work on my computer, whether or not I
                      renamed NoteTab.exe )

                      I had no problem in changing the icon for
                      the two file extensions, TXT and OTL. The
                      problem was to change the icons in the task bar:
                      (1) that of the NoteTab start button and
                      (2) that of the tab for an open file.

                      (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                      file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                      acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                      However, knowing now that the icons are in
                      NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                      (2) This I guess can only be changed by
                      changing the icon for NotePro.exe, or
                      NotePro2.exe as it is now called. And there
                      does not seem to be any way to do this. At
                      least, none accessible to the likes of myself.

                      I shall make a note of that icon-extracting
                      program for future use.

                      Thanks once again to you all.

                      Regards,
                      Eric

                      Eric Bruce Johnston
                      http://www.rainbowends.org

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                        Hi Eric,

                        > (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                        > file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                        > acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                        > However, knowing now that the icons are in
                        > NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                        If I understand you correctly, that you want a different icon on
                        the Taskbar tab to differentiate the two installed versions so
                        you know which one you want to switch to, you should be able to
                        do that in the first screen in Options, the View tab and the
                        [Change Icon] button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                        nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can on say a shortcut
                        in its Properties.

                        The icon extractor programs/utilities are so that you can extract
                        one of the program's icons and then use if for like a Shortcut.
                        NoteTab has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).

                        Happy Tab'n,

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                          Hi Don,

                          >Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                          >extension? Is there such a clip?

                          I have two in my DirStuff Don. One sorts by the full file path
                          and the other by file name. So...

                          By path...
                          C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt
                          C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt

                          By filename...
                          C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt
                          C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt

                          They are about a dozen Clips down and named:
                          ReOpen Alphabetically I...
                          ReOpen Alphabetically II...

                          Extract the zip file below to NoteTab's Libraries folder.

                          NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
                          http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
                          Direct download for DirStuff
                          http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                          If you need help with the Clips or want to discuss
                          it, please do so in private email or on the Clips list.

                          My affiliate links for Fookes Software, thanks! :)
                          Fookes Software Home
                          Convert and archive many types of email!!!
                          http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                          Happy Clip'n!

                          http://www.sojourner.us/software
                        • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                            Thanks, Jody.

                            It's done !

                            Regards,
                            ericbj

                            Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote

                            > If I understand you correctly, that you want a
                            > different icon on the Taskbar tab to
                            > differentiate the two installed versions so you
                            > know which one you want to switch to, you
                            > should be able to do that in the first screen
                            > in Options, the View tab and the [Change Icon]
                            > button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                            > nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can
                            > on say a shortcut in its Properties.
                            >
                            > The icon extractor programs/utilities are so
                            > that you can extract one of the program's icons
                            > and then use if for like a Shortcut. NoteTab
                            > has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).
                            >
                            > Happy Tab'n,
                            > Jody Adair
                          • dave
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                              Hi
                              this may be a bit late the .dll is "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll" select
                              the icon you want and also if you want you can have Note tab standard open
                              with text file ,then Note tab standard 2 open with otl , then note tab
                              standard open with html set up the icon you want on each one and click on
                              the task to switch between each cpy and pasteing as you go ,hope this helps
                              THANKYOU DAVE M

                            • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                                > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of
                                > open files, the key
                                > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                                >
                                > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go
                                > to Options | Tab Bar and put a check in "Show
                                > File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                                > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to
                                > find" the otl files in the welter of open
                                > files?
                                >
                                > rpd

                                Thanks.

                                I have always had NoteTab show the extensions.

                                What I mean by "a long time" is perhaps only a
                                few seconds to look amongst maybe 40 tabs. But
                                it gets tedious after a while. My personal
                                preference is to see at a glance, without any
                                clickings or key-strokes.

                                Hope this explains the matter.

                                Regards,
                                ericbj