Re: [NTB] Differentiating two separate installations

  • Fay Johnston
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

      > The Problem:
      >
      > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
      > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
      > _________________________________
      I don't know about OTL, because I don't use that, but in file associations
      in NoteTab Light I have txt, and in html files in NoteTab Pro I have html
      and other file types, but nothing in associations at all. Text files open in
      NT Light, the others open in Pro. (I haven't said "Replace Windows NotePad"
      in either.) I dare say that the same idea would work with two instances of
      Pro, and there's no harm in trying.
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
        eric> Also, if someone can tell me the name of the installed file
        eric> (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?) where the alternative NoteTab
        eric> icons can be found, this would be helpful.

        Eric,

        I'm pretty sure you just select "Change Icon" and navigate to the
        NoteTab executable "NotePro.exe". The icons are somehow embedded right
        in there. At least that's how I get at them.

        rpd

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, ericbj@c... wrote:

        > The Problem:
        >
        > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
        > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
        > _________________________________
        >
        > I use outline files for organising information
        > and gaining easy access to key files. However
        > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
        > the key OTL files take a time to find.
        >
        > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
        > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
        > fine as long as the files are opened from :
        > File menu --> Open
        >
        > But it would be helpful to be able also to
        > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
        > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
        > files to open them in the other.
        >
        > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
        > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
        > OTL --> open with --> Other
        > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
        > in F:\NoteTab\ .
        > But the OTL files still open in
        > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
        >
        > Any suggestions ?
        >
        > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
        > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
        > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
        > found, this would be helpful.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > ericbj
        >
        > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
        > SP4.

      • Vance E. Neff
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          Hi ericbj,

          Try renaming the version (NOTETAB.EXE) you want to use with the OTL
          files and then use explorer to assign .OTL files to it.

          Vance

          ericbj@... wrote:

          > The Problem:
          >
          > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
          > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
          > _________________________________
          >
          > I use outline files for organising information
          > and gaining easy access to key files. However
          > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
          > the key OTL files take a time to find.
          >
          > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
          > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
          > fine as long as the files are opened from :
          > File menu --> Open
          >
          > But it would be helpful to be able also to
          > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
          > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
          > files to open them in the other.
          >
          > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
          > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
          > OTL --> open with --> Other
          > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
          > in F:\NoteTab\ .
          > But the OTL files still open in
          > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
          >
          > Any suggestions ?
          >
          > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
          > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
          > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
          > found, this would be helpful.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > ericbj
          >
          > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
          > SP4.

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Don - htmlfixit.com
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
            ericbj@... wrote:
            > The Problem:
            >
            > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
            > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
            > _________________________________
            >
            > I use outline files for organising information
            > and gaining easy access to key files. However
            > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
            > the key OTL files take a time to find.
            >
            > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
            > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
            > fine as long as the files are opened from :
            > File menu --> Open

            I have no actual knowledge, but I would try naming my second copy of
            notetab.exe something else. This may or may not work! Then do a file
            association with each type to notetab2.exe or notetab.ext. Some
            programs have to be called what they are supposed to be called to work
            right. I don't think that is true for notetab, but you might let us
            know if you try it.
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              Why not open both side by side in ONE copy of Notetab?

              1. open two or more Docs in NoteTab.

              2. Hold Down the Shift and Ctrl Keys and while holding tap the W Key.
              (Ctrl+Shift+W)
              OR use the Documents menu>Second Window.

              Jeff

              ericbj@... wrote:

              > The Problem:
              >
              > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
              > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
              > _________________________________
              >
              > I use outline files for organising information
              > and gaining easy access to key files. However
              > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
              > the key OTL files take a time to find.
              >
              > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
              > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
              > fine as long as the files are opened from :
              > File menu --> Open
              >
              > But it would be helpful to be able also to
              > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
              > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
              > files to open them in the other.
              >
              > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
              > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
              > OTL --> open with --> Other
              > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
              > in F:\NoteTab\ .
              > But the OTL files still open in
              > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
              >
              > Any suggestions ?
              >
              > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
              > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
              > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
              > found, this would be helpful.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > ericbj
              >
              > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
              > SP4.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                Hi ericbj

                > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
                > _________________________________
                >
                > I use outline files for organising information
                > and gaining easy access to key files. However
                > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
                > the key OTL files take a time to find.
                >
                > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
                > NoteTab, on another partition.

                Haven't you gone over the top?

                Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
                focus to a few key files quickly!

                Greg
              • Don - htmlfixit.com
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                  > Haven't you gone over the top?
                  >
                  > Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
                  > focus to a few key files quickly!
                  >
                  > Greg

                  That occurred to me too Greg. Seems much simpler. Just permit multiple
                  instances, and open twice, putting otl's in one instance and txt's in
                  the other. But I think my method might work.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                    Hi ericbj,

                    > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                    > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?

                    Maybe I am missing something here, but in one copy of NoteTab go
                    to View | Options | Associations and type "otl" without the
                    quotes in the upper field, then press OK and close the dialog so
                    that the registry gets updated. Do the same thing in your other
                    copy of NoteTab, but this time add the other file extension.

                    > But it would be helpful to be able also to
                    > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
                    > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
                    > files to open them in the other.
                    >
                    > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
                    > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
                    > OTL --> open with --> Other
                    > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
                    > in F:\NoteTab\ .
                    > But the OTL files still open in
                    > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
                    >
                    > Any suggestions ?

                    NoteTab is not a good program to make file associations via
                    Windows Explorer (or My Computer) in. The description has to be
                    exactly the way NoteTab wants them, else funny things can to
                    happen and backup to what the last association may not be there
                    anymore by using Windows Explorer. At least that is the way it
                    was in pastimes. You should always use its Associations tab in
                    Options.

                    > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
                    > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
                    > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
                    > found, this would be helpful.

                    Please do not discuss the following on this list, but rather take
                    it to the Off Topic list. TIA

                    They are in kept in NoteTab's executable (NotePro.exe or
                    NoteTab.exe) You need a program that will show all the icons in
                    the executable. There are many around for free and here is on I
                    have installed out of a few. (Some don't seem to support all file
                    types.) IconXtracter Program is easy to use and only a 941.7 Kb
                    download. Please go to the off topic list (see footer) if you
                    want to discuss the utility. You can save an icon as ICO or BMP.
                    Other programs like Irfan_View will let you save as a lot of
                    different formats, but lacks the ability of showing all the
                    different icons stored in the executable or DLL.

                    In the program I clicked on the Help "Visit Home" link:
                    http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/

                    IconXtracter Program
                    http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/Xtract08.exe

                    > Thanks,
                    > ericbj
                    >
                    > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
                    > SP4.

                    Happy Tab'n,

                  • rpdooling
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                      eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                      eric> OTL files take a time to find.

                      This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                      and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                      it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                      the welter of open files?

                      rpd

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                        rpdooling wrote:
                        > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                        > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                        >
                        > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                        > and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                        > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                        > the welter of open files?
                        >
                        > rpd

                        I was going to let the thread play out, but now that I know you have a
                        headache ...
                        Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                        extension? Is there such a clip?
                      • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                          Dear All,

                          Many thanks for all that advice.

                          I find that using two installations of Notetab
                          makes life in some degree simpler. The two
                          installations can be configured differently,
                          with different default directories, fewer clip
                          libraries installed, and above all fewer files
                          open. The number of TXT files open at any one
                          time tends to build up until I may have about
                          twenty to thirty of them.

                          But thanks all the same for reminding me of
                          "Favourites" which I have not been using
                          lately.

                          Changing the name of the program file, then
                          changing the OTL file association in Windows
                          Explorer, seems to work for me. (despite the
                          fact that to start with there was only only one
                          visible "Notetab" to choose from in the
                          selection window -- now there are two entries
                          -- different, but with identical name).

                          Things appear to be working alright, touch wood.

                          ( Changing the file association under NoteTab did
                          not work on my computer, whether or not I
                          renamed NoteTab.exe )

                          I had no problem in changing the icon for
                          the two file extensions, TXT and OTL. The
                          problem was to change the icons in the task bar:
                          (1) that of the NoteTab start button and
                          (2) that of the tab for an open file.

                          (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                          file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                          acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                          However, knowing now that the icons are in
                          NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                          (2) This I guess can only be changed by
                          changing the icon for NotePro.exe, or
                          NotePro2.exe as it is now called. And there
                          does not seem to be any way to do this. At
                          least, none accessible to the likes of myself.

                          I shall make a note of that icon-extracting
                          program for future use.

                          Thanks once again to you all.

                          Regards,
                          Eric

                          Eric Bruce Johnston
                          http://www.rainbowends.org

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                            Hi Eric,

                            > (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                            > file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                            > acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                            > However, knowing now that the icons are in
                            > NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                            If I understand you correctly, that you want a different icon on
                            the Taskbar tab to differentiate the two installed versions so
                            you know which one you want to switch to, you should be able to
                            do that in the first screen in Options, the View tab and the
                            [Change Icon] button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                            nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can on say a shortcut
                            in its Properties.

                            The icon extractor programs/utilities are so that you can extract
                            one of the program's icons and then use if for like a Shortcut.
                            NoteTab has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).

                            Happy Tab'n,

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                              Hi Don,

                              >Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                              >extension? Is there such a clip?

                              I have two in my DirStuff Don. One sorts by the full file path
                              and the other by file name. So...

                              By path...
                              C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt
                              C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt

                              By filename...
                              C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt
                              C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt

                              They are about a dozen Clips down and named:
                              ReOpen Alphabetically I...
                              ReOpen Alphabetically II...

                              Extract the zip file below to NoteTab's Libraries folder.

                              NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
                              http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
                              Direct download for DirStuff
                              http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                              If you need help with the Clips or want to discuss
                              it, please do so in private email or on the Clips list.

                              My affiliate links for Fookes Software, thanks! :)
                              Fookes Software Home
                              Convert and archive many types of email!!!
                              http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                              Happy Clip'n!

                              http://www.sojourner.us/software
                            • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                Thanks, Jody.

                                It's done !

                                Regards,
                                ericbj

                                Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote

                                > If I understand you correctly, that you want a
                                > different icon on the Taskbar tab to
                                > differentiate the two installed versions so you
                                > know which one you want to switch to, you
                                > should be able to do that in the first screen
                                > in Options, the View tab and the [Change Icon]
                                > button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                                > nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can
                                > on say a shortcut in its Properties.
                                >
                                > The icon extractor programs/utilities are so
                                > that you can extract one of the program's icons
                                > and then use if for like a Shortcut. NoteTab
                                > has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).
                                >
                                > Happy Tab'n,
                                > Jody Adair
                              • dave
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  Hi
                                  this may be a bit late the .dll is "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll" select
                                  the icon you want and also if you want you can have Note tab standard open
                                  with text file ,then Note tab standard 2 open with otl , then note tab
                                  standard open with html set up the icon you want on each one and click on
                                  the task to switch between each cpy and pasteing as you go ,hope this helps
                                  THANKYOU DAVE M

                                • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                                    > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of
                                    > open files, the key
                                    > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                                    >
                                    > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go
                                    > to Options | Tab Bar and put a check in "Show
                                    > File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                                    > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to
                                    > find" the otl files in the welter of open
                                    > files?
                                    >
                                    > rpd

                                    Thanks.

                                    I have always had NoteTab show the extensions.

                                    What I mean by "a long time" is perhaps only a
                                    few seconds to look amongst maybe 40 tabs. But
                                    it gets tedious after a while. My personal
                                    preference is to see at a glance, without any
                                    clickings or key-strokes.

                                    Hope this explains the matter.

                                    Regards,
                                    ericbj