Differentiating two separate installations

  • ericbj@club-internet.fr
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 16, 2006
      The Problem:

      How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
      NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
      _________________________________

      I use outline files for organising information
      and gaining easy access to key files. However
      amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
      the key OTL files take a time to find.

      To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
      NoteTab, on another partition. This works
      fine as long as the files are opened from :
      File menu --> Open

      But it would be helpful to be able also to
      click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
      open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
      files to open them in the other.

      I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
      Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
      OTL --> open with --> Other
      and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
      in F:\NoteTab\ .
      But the OTL files still open in
      C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .

      Any suggestions ?

      Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
      installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
      where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
      found, this would be helpful.

      Thanks,
      ericbj

      p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
      SP4.
    • Fay Johnston
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006

        > The Problem:
        >
        > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
        > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
        > _________________________________
        I don't know about OTL, because I don't use that, but in file associations
        in NoteTab Light I have txt, and in html files in NoteTab Pro I have html
        and other file types, but nothing in associations at all. Text files open in
        NT Light, the others open in Pro. (I haven't said "Replace Windows NotePad"
        in either.) I dare say that the same idea would work with two instances of
        Pro, and there's no harm in trying.
      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
          eric> Also, if someone can tell me the name of the installed file
          eric> (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?) where the alternative NoteTab
          eric> icons can be found, this would be helpful.

          Eric,

          I'm pretty sure you just select "Change Icon" and navigate to the
          NoteTab executable "NotePro.exe". The icons are somehow embedded right
          in there. At least that's how I get at them.

          rpd

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, ericbj@c... wrote:

          > The Problem:
          >
          > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
          > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
          > _________________________________
          >
          > I use outline files for organising information
          > and gaining easy access to key files. However
          > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
          > the key OTL files take a time to find.
          >
          > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
          > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
          > fine as long as the files are opened from :
          > File menu --> Open
          >
          > But it would be helpful to be able also to
          > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
          > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
          > files to open them in the other.
          >
          > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
          > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
          > OTL --> open with --> Other
          > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
          > in F:\NoteTab\ .
          > But the OTL files still open in
          > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
          >
          > Any suggestions ?
          >
          > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
          > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
          > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
          > found, this would be helpful.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > ericbj
          >
          > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
          > SP4.

        • Vance E. Neff
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
            Hi ericbj,

            Try renaming the version (NOTETAB.EXE) you want to use with the OTL
            files and then use explorer to assign .OTL files to it.

            Vance

            ericbj@... wrote:

            > The Problem:
            >
            > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
            > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
            > _________________________________
            >
            > I use outline files for organising information
            > and gaining easy access to key files. However
            > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
            > the key OTL files take a time to find.
            >
            > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
            > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
            > fine as long as the files are opened from :
            > File menu --> Open
            >
            > But it would be helpful to be able also to
            > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
            > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
            > files to open them in the other.
            >
            > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
            > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
            > OTL --> open with --> Other
            > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
            > in F:\NoteTab\ .
            > But the OTL files still open in
            > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
            >
            > Any suggestions ?
            >
            > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
            > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
            > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
            > found, this would be helpful.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > ericbj
            >
            > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
            > SP4.

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
              ericbj@... wrote:
              > The Problem:
              >
              > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
              > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
              > _________________________________
              >
              > I use outline files for organising information
              > and gaining easy access to key files. However
              > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
              > the key OTL files take a time to find.
              >
              > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
              > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
              > fine as long as the files are opened from :
              > File menu --> Open

              I have no actual knowledge, but I would try naming my second copy of
              notetab.exe something else. This may or may not work! Then do a file
              association with each type to notetab2.exe or notetab.ext. Some
              programs have to be called what they are supposed to be called to work
              right. I don't think that is true for notetab, but you might let us
              know if you try it.
            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                Why not open both side by side in ONE copy of Notetab?

                1. open two or more Docs in NoteTab.

                2. Hold Down the Shift and Ctrl Keys and while holding tap the W Key.
                (Ctrl+Shift+W)
                OR use the Documents menu>Second Window.

                Jeff

                ericbj@... wrote:

                > The Problem:
                >
                > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
                > _________________________________
                >
                > I use outline files for organising information
                > and gaining easy access to key files. However
                > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
                > the key OTL files take a time to find.
                >
                > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
                > NoteTab, on another partition. This works
                > fine as long as the files are opened from :
                > File menu --> Open
                >
                > But it would be helpful to be able also to
                > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
                > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
                > files to open them in the other.
                >
                > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
                > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
                > OTL --> open with --> Other
                > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
                > in F:\NoteTab\ .
                > But the OTL files still open in
                > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
                >
                > Any suggestions ?
                >
                > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
                > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
                > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
                > found, this would be helpful.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > ericbj
                >
                > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
                > SP4.

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                  Hi ericbj

                  > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                  > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?
                  > _________________________________
                  >
                  > I use outline files for organising information
                  > and gaining easy access to key files. However
                  > amongst the welter of tabs of open files,
                  > the key OTL files take a time to find.
                  >
                  > To overcome this, I installed a second copy of
                  > NoteTab, on another partition.

                  Haven't you gone over the top?

                  Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
                  focus to a few key files quickly!

                  Greg
                • Don - htmlfixit.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                    > Haven't you gone over the top?
                    >
                    > Surely the "Favorites" or "Quick List" features should help you find or move
                    > focus to a few key files quickly!
                    >
                    > Greg

                    That occurred to me too Greg. Seems much simpler. Just permit multiple
                    instances, and open twice, putting otl's in one instance and txt's in
                    the other. But I think my method might work.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 17, 2006
                      Hi ericbj,

                      > How to get .TXT files to open in one copy of
                      > NoteTab and .OTL files in the other ?

                      Maybe I am missing something here, but in one copy of NoteTab go
                      to View | Options | Associations and type "otl" without the
                      quotes in the upper field, then press OK and close the dialog so
                      that the registry gets updated. Do the same thing in your other
                      copy of NoteTab, but this time add the other file extension.

                      > But it would be helpful to be able also to
                      > click, in Windows Explorer, on TXT files to
                      > open them in one copy of NoteTab and on OTL
                      > files to open them in the other.
                      >
                      > I have gone, in Windows Explorer, to :
                      > Tools menu --> Folder options --> File types -->
                      > OTL --> open with --> Other
                      > and browsed to and selected the NoteTab copy
                      > in F:\NoteTab\ .
                      > But the OTL files still open in
                      > C:\Program Files\NoteTab\ .
                      >
                      > Any suggestions ?

                      NoteTab is not a good program to make file associations via
                      Windows Explorer (or My Computer) in. The description has to be
                      exactly the way NoteTab wants them, else funny things can to
                      happen and backup to what the last association may not be there
                      anymore by using Windows Explorer. At least that is the way it
                      was in pastimes. You should always use its Associations tab in
                      Options.

                      > Also, if someone can tell me the name of the
                      > installed file (a DLL in WINNT\system32 ?)
                      > where the alternative NoteTab icons can be
                      > found, this would be helpful.

                      Please do not discuss the following on this list, but rather take
                      it to the Off Topic list. TIA

                      They are in kept in NoteTab's executable (NotePro.exe or
                      NoteTab.exe) You need a program that will show all the icons in
                      the executable. There are many around for free and here is on I
                      have installed out of a few. (Some don't seem to support all file
                      types.) IconXtracter Program is easy to use and only a 941.7 Kb
                      download. Please go to the off topic list (see footer) if you
                      want to discuss the utility. You can save an icon as ICO or BMP.
                      Other programs like Irfan_View will let you save as a lot of
                      different formats, but lacks the ability of showing all the
                      different icons stored in the executable or DLL.

                      In the program I clicked on the Help "Visit Home" link:
                      http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/

                      IconXtracter Program
                      http://millennium.fortunecity.com/lincoln/223/Xtract08.exe

                      > Thanks,
                      > ericbj
                      >
                      > p.s. Am using NoteTab Pro v.4.95 and Win 2000
                      > SP4.

                      Happy Tab'n,

                    • rpdooling
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                        eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                        eric> OTL files take a time to find.

                        This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                        and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                        it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                        the welter of open files?

                        rpd

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                          rpdooling wrote:
                          > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of open files, the key
                          > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                          >
                          > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go to Options | Tab Bar
                          > and put a check in "Show File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                          > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to find" the otl files in
                          > the welter of open files?
                          >
                          > rpd

                          I was going to let the thread play out, but now that I know you have a
                          headache ...
                          Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                          extension? Is there such a clip?
                        • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                            Dear All,

                            Many thanks for all that advice.

                            I find that using two installations of Notetab
                            makes life in some degree simpler. The two
                            installations can be configured differently,
                            with different default directories, fewer clip
                            libraries installed, and above all fewer files
                            open. The number of TXT files open at any one
                            time tends to build up until I may have about
                            twenty to thirty of them.

                            But thanks all the same for reminding me of
                            "Favourites" which I have not been using
                            lately.

                            Changing the name of the program file, then
                            changing the OTL file association in Windows
                            Explorer, seems to work for me. (despite the
                            fact that to start with there was only only one
                            visible "Notetab" to choose from in the
                            selection window -- now there are two entries
                            -- different, but with identical name).

                            Things appear to be working alright, touch wood.

                            ( Changing the file association under NoteTab did
                            not work on my computer, whether or not I
                            renamed NoteTab.exe )

                            I had no problem in changing the icon for
                            the two file extensions, TXT and OTL. The
                            problem was to change the icons in the task bar:
                            (1) that of the NoteTab start button and
                            (2) that of the tab for an open file.

                            (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                            file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                            acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                            However, knowing now that the icons are in
                            NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                            (2) This I guess can only be changed by
                            changing the icon for NotePro.exe, or
                            NotePro2.exe as it is now called. And there
                            does not seem to be any way to do this. At
                            least, none accessible to the likes of myself.

                            I shall make a note of that icon-extracting
                            program for future use.

                            Thanks once again to you all.

                            Regards,
                            Eric

                            Eric Bruce Johnston
                            http://www.rainbowends.org

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                              Hi Eric,

                              > (1) The former, on changing the NotePro.exe
                              > file name, lost its NoteTab icon and
                              > acquired the nondescript Windows default icon.
                              > However, knowing now that the icons are in
                              > NoteTab.exe, I was able to change that.

                              If I understand you correctly, that you want a different icon on
                              the Taskbar tab to differentiate the two installed versions so
                              you know which one you want to switch to, you should be able to
                              do that in the first screen in Options, the View tab and the
                              [Change Icon] button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                              nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can on say a shortcut
                              in its Properties.

                              The icon extractor programs/utilities are so that you can extract
                              one of the program's icons and then use if for like a Shortcut.
                              NoteTab has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).

                              Happy Tab'n,

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 18, 2006
                                Hi Don,

                                >Someone (Jody I think) had a sort tab clip. Why not sort tab on
                                >extension? Is there such a clip?

                                I have two in my DirStuff Don. One sorts by the full file path
                                and the other by file name. So...

                                By path...
                                C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt
                                C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt

                                By filename...
                                C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Pro\Documents\apple.txt
                                C:\Progran Files\NoteTab Light\Documents\zebra.txt

                                They are about a dozen Clips down and named:
                                ReOpen Alphabetically I...
                                ReOpen Alphabetically II...

                                Extract the zip file below to NoteTab's Libraries folder.

                                NoteTabbers Assistant Library Page
                                http://www.notetab.net/html/library.htm
                                Direct download for DirStuff
                                http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                                If you need help with the Clips or want to discuss
                                it, please do so in private email or on the Clips list.

                                My affiliate links for Fookes Software, thanks! :)
                                Fookes Software Home
                                Convert and archive many types of email!!!
                                http://www.fookes.us/aid4mail

                                Happy Clip'n!

                                http://www.sojourner.us/software
                              • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                  Thanks, Jody.

                                  It's done !

                                  Regards,
                                  ericbj

                                  Jody <kjv-av1611@...> wrote

                                  > If I understand you correctly, that you want a
                                  > different icon on the Taskbar tab to
                                  > differentiate the two installed versions so you
                                  > know which one you want to switch to, you
                                  > should be able to do that in the first screen
                                  > in Options, the View tab and the [Change Icon]
                                  > button. To the best of my knowledge, there's
                                  > nowhere to change a Taskbar icon like you can
                                  > on say a shortcut in its Properties.
                                  >
                                  > The icon extractor programs/utilities are so
                                  > that you can extract one of the program's icons
                                  > and then use if for like a Shortcut. NoteTab
                                  > has 9 icons in its executable file (exe).
                                  >
                                  > Happy Tab'n,
                                  > Jody Adair
                                • dave
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                    Hi
                                    this may be a bit late the .dll is "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll" select
                                    the icon you want and also if you want you can have Note tab standard open
                                    with text file ,then Note tab standard 2 open with otl , then note tab
                                    standard open with html set up the icon you want on each one and click on
                                    the task to switch between each cpy and pasteing as you go ,hope this helps
                                    THANKYOU DAVE M

                                  • ericbj@club-internet.fr
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 19, 2006
                                      "rpdooling" <rpdooling@...> wrote:

                                      > eric> However amongst the welter of tabs of
                                      > open files, the key
                                      > eric> OTL files take a time to find.
                                      >
                                      > This thread is giving me a headache. If you go
                                      > to Options | Tab Bar and put a check in "Show
                                      > File Extension" you can SEE in the tab that
                                      > it's an OTL file, so how can it "take a time to
                                      > find" the otl files in the welter of open
                                      > files?
                                      >
                                      > rpd

                                      Thanks.

                                      I have always had NoteTab show the extensions.

                                      What I mean by "a long time" is perhaps only a
                                      few seconds to look amongst maybe 40 tabs. But
                                      it gets tedious after a while. My personal
                                      preference is to see at a glance, without any
                                      clickings or key-strokes.

                                      Hope this explains the matter.

                                      Regards,
                                      ericbj