Re: [NTB] Need help with note tab

  • H.Powell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
      -------Original Message-------

      From: Bob McAllister
      Date: 12/31/05 12:58:49
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [NTB] Need help with note tab

      Harold

      hrs has given you some first-class advice but I suspect you may be
      travelling tourist class (as we call it in Australia) way down the
      back of the plane.

      While you can go in and edit your browsers.dat file directly, you may
      feel safer using the tab at View|Options|Internet to install a second
      browser.

      If you are interested in using a Clip, the following is a very simple
      example (that does much less than the one provided by hrs) that just
      gives you a drop down list of browsers from which you pick one to view
      the html file currently active in NoteTab.

      View in selected browser
      ^!^?[View in:=_F:\Web\Firefox\firefox.exe|C:\Program Files\Internet
      Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE|F:\Web\Opera7\opera.exe] ^**

      You need to edit the paths to the three browsers to match where they
      are on your computer. Everything from ^!^? to ^** is a single line.

      Hope this helps you get started, then you can explore the extra power
      available in the other clip.

      Bob

      Bob, I do appreciate you and all the replies I've gotten so far. I need to
      get familiar with the lingo here

      I'm not sure what you meant by using a clip but it sound like that's
      something I want to do. Now if a clip refers to adding this string from
      above to my browser dat. File... Then,yes, this what i want to do.

      I hope I understand what you meant here, open up my note tab program and
      find the browser.dat file paste the string from above in it...is that
      correct? but change the path as it is located on my C: drive,I.e., where you
      have F: I would use C:? However, when I open the browser.dat this is what I
      see:

      [i.e.]
      Command=iexplore.exe -nohome
      UseDDE=1
      Application=IExplore
      DdeCommand=
      DdeExec="%1",,%2,0,,,,
      Topic=WWW_OpenURL
      Application_New=
      DdeExec_New=
      Topic_New=

      [Opera6]
      ;Add full path to Opera.exe file name below if you have several versions of
      the browser
      Command=Opera.exe
      UseDDE=1
      Application=Opera
      DdeCommand=Opera.exe /nowin

      My question is, where do I place the entry at? On a new line at the bottom
      of this entry from above?

      Thanks

      Harold

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "notetab" on the web.

      Virus Database (VPS): 0552-4, 12/30/2005
      Tested on: 12/31/2005 12:59:06 PM

      ---
      Virus Database (VPS): 0552-4, 12/30/2005
      Tested on: 1/1/2006 8:43:48 PM

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
        You'd think I'd know the answer to this!

        Reformatted hard drive, only change is this is finally XP SP2, and
        Replace Notepad feature ain't sticking like it did previously. What
        extra tweak do I need to do?

        Julie
      • Julie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
          Well if my message ever gets there, nevermind it ;)
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
            Hi Julie,

            >Well if my message ever gets there, nevermind it ;)

            LOL! I'll send you the attachment that the following mentions in
            private email.

            - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
            - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
            - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
            - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
            - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
            - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
            - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

            - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

            I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
            Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
            some feedback, the Library is attached and should be extracted to
            NoteTab's Library folder. Read the Information Clip on top for
            instructions. A few dozen have used it with success and no
            problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very familiar
            with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and you need
            to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips in the
            Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

            - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

            Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
            Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
            convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
            way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
            default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
            Utilities Library.

            - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

            The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
            Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
            the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
            from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
            restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
            those messages.)

            - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

            Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
            Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
            Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

            - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

            If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
            for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
            NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
            following:

            Add SendTo Shortcut
            Add to Edit HTML file type
            Add IE Default HTML Editor
            Restore IE Default HTML Editor

            If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
            Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
            it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

            - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

            You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
            Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
            discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
            at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
            List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
            about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
            only be used by experienced computer users.

            either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
            _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

            Clips or Scripts list for them.

            are for discussion of those programs.

            http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            lists.

            http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
            getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

            - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

            You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
            less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
            does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
            that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
            the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
            folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
            well.)

            ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
            ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
            ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
            ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

            There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
            or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
            add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
            executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

            [Application]
            ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

            Happy Tab'n,