Re: [NTB] Need help with note tab

  • dave
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2005
      Hi
      edit the browsers.dat I think you can have more a few.
      THANKYOU DAVE M

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2006
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
          You'd think I'd know the answer to this!

          Reformatted hard drive, only change is this is finally XP SP2, and
          Replace Notepad feature ain't sticking like it did previously. What
          extra tweak do I need to do?

          Julie
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
            Well if my message ever gets there, nevermind it ;)
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13, 2006
              Hi Julie,

              >Well if my message ever gets there, nevermind it ;)

              LOL! I'll send you the attachment that the following mentions in
              private email.

              - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
              - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
              - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
              - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
              - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
              - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
              - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

              - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

              I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
              Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
              some feedback, the Library is attached and should be extracted to
              NoteTab's Library folder. Read the Information Clip on top for
              instructions. A few dozen have used it with success and no
              problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very familiar
              with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and you need
              to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips in the
              Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

              - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

              Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
              Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
              convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
              way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
              default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
              Utilities Library.

              - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

              The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
              Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
              the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
              from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
              restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
              those messages.)

              - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

              Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
              Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
              Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

              - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

              If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
              for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
              NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
              following:

              Add SendTo Shortcut
              Add to Edit HTML file type
              Add IE Default HTML Editor
              Restore IE Default HTML Editor

              If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
              Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
              it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

              - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

              You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
              Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
              discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
              at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
              List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
              about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
              only be used by experienced computer users.

              either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
              _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

              Clips or Scripts list for them.

              are for discussion of those programs.

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              lists.

              http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
              getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

              - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

              You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
              less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
              does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
              that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
              the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
              folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
              well.)

              ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
              ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
              ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
              ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

              There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
              or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
              add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
              executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

              [Application]
              ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

              Happy Tab'n,