Document Links

  • Renato Cezar
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
      Hi NoteTabbers,

      Please, where in the help file (or elsewhere) can I find out how to
      create documents *links* (like a link from a word in one file to go to
      another file)?

      The "Use Web and Document Links" issue tells it is possible and how to
      use, but not how to *make*.

      ...or maybe I didn't understood it... :)

      Thanks in advance,

      Renato
    • loro
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
        Renato Cezar wrote:
        >Please, where in the help file (or elsewhere) can I find out how to
        >create documents *links* (like a link from a word in one file to go to
        >another file)?
        >
        >The "Use Web and Document Links" issue tells it is possible and how to
        >use, but not how to *make*.
        >
        >...or maybe I didn't understood it... :)

        If you want to open another file, type [ c:\path\to\test.txt]. To activate
        the link hold down Ctrl and double click on it.
        To go to a word (or words) in the same document: [::words to find].
        To go to a word (or words) in another file: [ c:\path\to\test.txt::words to
        find].

        So you basically have two formats. To look for a file, use the full path.
        To look for a string, use the string prefixed with two colons. As you see
        you can combine them.

        If you use outline documents, [topic] looks for the heading "topic" in the
        same otl document. To open an outline with a specific heading focused you
        use [c:\path\to\test.otl::topic]. Same format as when looking for words in
        a normal document.

        Apart from the section in Help you have already found, you may also find
        ReadMe.otl helpful. It's in NoteTab's main folder.

        That's about it. :-)
        Lotta
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
          Renato Cezar wrote:
          > Hi NoteTabbers,
          >
          > Please, where in the help file (or elsewhere) can I find out how to
          > create documents *links* (like a link from a word in one file to go to
          > another file)?
          >
          > The "Use Web and Document Links" issue tells it is possible and how to
          > use, but not how to *make*.
          >
          > ...or maybe I didn't understood it... :)
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          >
          > Renato

          Most of the info you need is in 'Help" at 'Use Web and Document Links'.
          I had only used this feature in an outline file to switch, but, it works
          very well for loading another document or selecting a link in an outline
          file, or, finding an occurrence of a word or series of words in another
          text file.

          From Help:
          Note that you will have to specify the full path name if the file is not
          in the same directory as the document containing the hyperlink.

          In addition I've found, generally speaking, if the file you're
          searching/seeking is not in 'NoteTab's Documents folder' you will have
          to specify the path within the link.

          Below are links, one from the 'Help' file, the others are home made.
          I'll give a quick explanation.

          This link works,
          [explorer.exe]
          is in the Windows basepath.

          This link works,
          [12steps.txt],
          the file is in the NoteTab Document folder, a subfolder of the NoteTab
          main folder.

          This link won't work without the full path,
          [C:\Fookes\Ntp\regex\regex syntax1.txt],
          the file is not in the NoteTab Document path, it loads regex syntax1.txt.

          This link won't work without the full path,
          [C:\Fookes\Ntp\Templates\3pichouse.ptl::body bgcolor],
          it loads the file '3pichouse.ptl' and finds and highlights
          the text 'body bgcolor'.

          This link won't work without the full path,
          [C:\Fookes\Ntp\Outlines\clipclass.otl],
          it does load the file 'clipclass.otl from the NoteTab Outlines folder.

          This link won't work without the full path,
          [C:\Fookes\Ntp\Outlines\readme.otl::hyperlinks],
          it load 'readme.otl from the Outlines folder and finds
          and highlights the link 'Hyperlinks'.

          As you see, you'll probably have to use the full path, sometimes on both
          sides of the double-colon ::, but, probably won't need the path if
          they're in the NoteTab Documents folder.

          ºvº
          05.12.29
          'Silence, the Final Frontier:'
          'Where No Woman Has Gone Before.'
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • loro
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
            hsavage wrote:
            >In addition I've found, generally speaking, if the file you're
            >searching/seeking is not in 'NoteTab's Documents folder' you will have
            >to specify the path within the link.
            <snip>
            >This link works,
            >[12steps.txt],
            >the file is in the NoteTab Document folder, a subfolder of the NoteTab
            >main folder.

            Harvey,

            I dare guess that the document you write the link in is in Notetab's
            Documents folder too. Otherwise it wouldn't work. These hyperlinks can use
            relative paths, in the same way as relative URLs work, i.e. they are
            relative to the current document. If I have foo.txt on my desktop, I can
            write a link to bar.txt that's is in the baaz folder on my desktop like this:
            [bar\baaz.txt].

            Lotta
          • loro
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
              I wrote:
              > I can write a link to bar.txt that's is in the baaz folder on my desktop
              > like this:
              >[bar\baaz.txt].

              [baaz\ bar.txt]

              ;-o)
              Lotta
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
                loro wrote:
                > hsavage wrote:
                >> In addition I've found, generally speaking, if the file you're
                >> searching/seeking is not in 'NoteTab's Documents folder' you will have
                >> to specify the path within the link.
                > <snip>
                >> This link works,
                >> [12steps.txt],
                >> the file is in the NoteTab Document folder, a subfolder of the NoteTab
                >> main folder.
                >
                > Harvey,
                >
                > I dare guess that the document you write the link in is in Notetab's
                > Documents folder too. Otherwise it wouldn't work. These hyperlinks
                can use
                > relative paths, in the same way as relative URLs work, i.e. they are
                > relative to the current document. If I have foo.txt on my desktop, I can
                > write a link to bar.txt that's is in the baaz folder on my desktop
                like this:
                > [bar\baaz.txt].
                >
                > Lotta

                Lotta,

                You are correct, the document I tested with was/is in the Documents
                folder, I suppose that means only files that may be located thru the
                Windows basepath can be loaded without the path included.

                Thanks for pointing this out.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
                  loro wrote:
                  > I wrote:
                  >> I can write a link to bar.txt that's is in the baaz folder on my
                  desktop
                  >> like this:
                  >> [bar\baaz.txt].
                  >
                  > [baaz\ bar.txt]
                  >
                  > ;-o)
                  > Lotta

                  Lotta,

                  I tried, in testing, using a partial path and it didn't work. The
                  difference may be that I prefixed the path with a backslash, as in,
                  [\baaz\ bar.txt].

                  Not testing at present, I'll try it later.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 29, 2005
                    hsavage wrote:
                    >I tried, in testing, using a partial path and it didn't work. The
                    >difference may be that I prefixed the path with a backslash, as in,
                    >[\baaz\ bar.txt].

                    Now why did you go and do that? <G>
                    [.\baaz\bar.txt] might work though.

                    Lotta
                  • Lou
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 6, 2006
                      I do not seem to be getting the ordered list correct.

                      This what I get when I choose 7 items in the list
                      ><ol>
                      > <li>sam</li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > <li></li>
                      > </ol>

                      I get this when I have 4 items in the list, select them, the click on
                      the ordered list button.

                      > <li>lou</li>
                      > <li>bob</li>
                      > <li>steve</li>