Replacing Notepad with NoteTab Light v.4.95

  • ayezeeone
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
      Yes, I realize you've probably had this question 5000 times, but I
      just don't have time to search through a million more posts. I found
      one page here with a link which was supposed to supply the answer, but
      the link was no good.

      So, when in NoteTab v.4.95, and I click on "Help" and then click
      on "Replace MS Notepad" and go through that step, it doesn't replace
      Notepad with NoteTab afterall.

      Do I need to rename Notepad's and NoteTab's extensions?

      I'm aware that WFP may be preventing the replacement, but tips on how
      to get around this would be appreciated.

      Matter of fact, any help here is appreciated.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
        Hi ayezeeone,

        I'll send you a private email with attachment that is a Clipbook
        Library that has successfully worked for many XP SP2 users. The
        following is what I'll send with the attachment. I just thought I
        would post it here, because there's a lot of times when users
        don't necessarily need to "Replace MS Notepad." The following
        was inserted by NoteTab (remotely - I never left my email
        program) using NoteTab Clip Code.

        - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
        - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
        - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
        - Associate txt files via Options | Associations
        - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
        - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
        - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

        - Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.

        I'm currently (still off/on) working on a Clip that will toggle
        Notepad/NoteTab on/off. If you want to try it out and give me
        some feedback, the Library is attached and should be extracted to
        NoteTab's Library folder. Read the Information Clip on top for
        instructions. A few dozen have used it with success and no
        problems. I suggest that you only try it if you are very familiar
        with Windows Explorer in case something does glitch and you need
        to manually correct it. That is easy and I do have Clips in the
        Library to backup and to restore to Windows default.

        - Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad

        Normally, the only reason why you would want Replace/Restore MS
        Notepad working is for the quick toggle (besides the easy
        convenience.) I say that because you can achieve it all another
        way by way of file association and if you want NoteTab to be your
        default editor for View Source in IE then you use the Clip in the
        Utilities Library.

        - XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings

        The short way to do what you want, but it will not reverse with
        Restore MS Notepad, is click on Replace MS Notepad. When you get
        the warning click on Cancel and then you will get another message
        from Windows. Click Yes in it. If you do that, the only way to
        restore Notepad is manually. (That is only for users that get
        those messages.)

        - Associate txt files via Options | Associations

        Instead, you can go into NoteTab's Options and click on the
        Associations tab. type in txt and then click on the Add button.
        Do that for as many file types that you want to open in NoteTab.

        - Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library

        If you want some shortcuts in Windows Explorer and use NoteTab
        for Edit in IE, then go to the Utilities Library and under the
        NoteTab Shortcuts section click on those Clips. They do the
        following:

        Add SendTo Shortcut
        Add to Edit HTML file type
        Add IE Default HTML Editor
        Restore IE Default HTML Editor

        If you do the file associations and the Clips the only time that
        Notepad will open should be when a programmer forces you to use
        it like in a readme file when they use a path to notepad.exe.

        - Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists

        You can manually delete files in Windows Explorer (or My
        Computer) but that is more of a topic for the NoteTab Off Topic
        discussion mailing list. It is also very tricky/difficult to do
        at times. Any discussion about this should be done on the Clips
        List or Off Topic List. Please do not post on the Basic List
        about it. (The manual method is discussed briefly below and should
        only be used by experienced computer users.

        either of the links below. We use YahooGroups for the lists.
        _Please_ read the following if you decide to sign up!

        Clips or Scripts list for them.

        are for discussion of those programs.

        http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

        lists.

        http://www.fookes.com/regnow.html?2448&item=home ;) Thank$ for
        getting the cookie if offered; they're delicious! :)

        - XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Rename/Delete Them

        You can try renaming the Notepad.exe file, but you have to be fast,
        less the WFP system restores the file. I've found that renaming it
        does not always work on some machines. This method also requires
        that a copy of Notepad.stb found in NoteTab's main folder be put in
        the System32 folder and a NOTEPAD.INI file be used in the same
        folder, see below. (You might need to put them in other folders as
        well.)

        ..\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\System32\dllcache\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe
        ..\Windows\Notepad.exe (You may not have to delete this one.)

        There might be a Notepad.ini already made by NoteTab in the System32
        or Windows folder. If not, make a file in NoteTab by that name and
        add the text below for its contents with your path to NoteTab's
        executable. NotePro is shown. It is NoteTab.exe for Std/Light.

        [Application]
        ExeName="F:\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe"

        >Yes, I realize you've probably had this question 5000 times, but
        >I just don't have time to search through a million more posts. I
        >found one page here with a link which was supposed to supply the
        >answer, but the link was no good.
        >
        >So, when in NoteTab v.4.95, and I click on "Help" and then click
        >on "Replace MS Notepad" and go through that step, it doesn't
        >replace Notepad with NoteTab afterall.
        >
        >Do I need to rename Notepad's and NoteTab's extensions?
        >
        >I'm aware that WFP may be preventing the replacement, but tips on
        >how to get around this would be appreciated.

        Happy Tab'n,

      • rpdooling
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
          On the theory that you'll probably run into this kind of thing using
          other programs you might want to bite the bullet and learn how to do
          it through the Windows Folder options. Then you can tell Windows
          exactly what files you want to open with NoteTab, whether you want to
          view them, or edit them or whatever. For instance with html, you want
          them to be viewed using your browser, but edited with NoteTab or your
          html editor. You can edit all of those yourself.

          I'm sure this long link will break, but go to windows xp help and type
          in "file associations" for help.

          You access under Tools | Folder Options | File Types in Windows Explorer.

          rd

          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_intro.asp

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ayezeeone" <ayezeeone@y...> wrote:

          > Yes, I realize you've probably had this question 5000 times, but I
          > just don't have time to search through a million more posts. I found
          > one page here with a link which was supposed to supply the answer, but
          > the link was no good.
          >
          > So, when in NoteTab v.4.95, and I click on "Help" and then click
          > on "Replace MS Notepad" and go through that step, it doesn't replace
          > Notepad with NoteTab afterall.
          >
          > Do I need to rename Notepad's and NoteTab's extensions?
          >
          > I'm aware that WFP may be preventing the replacement, but tips on how
          > to get around this would be appreciated.
          >
          > Matter of fact, any help here is appreciated.

        • Lee Underwood
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 9, 2005
            Jody,

            Could you also send me a copy of the attachment? Thanks!

            lee

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 9, 2005
              Hi Lee,

              >Could you also send me a copy of the attachment? Thanks!

              Sure! If anybody else wants it please write me a private email.

              >lee
              >
              >On 12/8/2005 05:24 PM, Jody wrote:
              >
              >>Hi ayezeeone,
              >>
              >>- Using/Testing a New Clipbook Library to toggle Notepad on/off.
              >>- Discussion of Why You Want to use Replace MS Notepad
              >>- XP SP2 Microsoft Windows File Protection (WFP) Warnings
              >>- Associate txt files via Options | Associations
              >>- Making IE Use NoteTab via the Utilities Library
              >>- Manual Replacement/NoteTab Discussion Mailing Lists
              >>- XP SP2 Notepad Locations, Order to Delete Them

              Happy Topics,
              Jody

              The NoteTab Off-Topic List

              http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm
            • Keith Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 9, 2005
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ayezeeone" <ayezeeone@y...> wrote:

                > Yes, I realize you've probably had this question 5000 times, but I
                > just don't have time to search through a million more posts. I
                found
                > one page here with a link which was supposed to supply the answer,
                but
                > the link was no good.
                >
                > So, when in NoteTab v.4.95, and I click on "Help" and then click
                > on "Replace MS Notepad" and go through that step, it doesn't
                replace
                > Notepad with NoteTab afterall.
                >
                > Do I need to rename Notepad's and NoteTab's extensions?
                >
                > I'm aware that WFP may be preventing the replacement, but tips on
                how
                > to get around this would be appreciated.
                >
                > Matter of fact, any help here is appreciated.

                Hi..New Member but have had the program for awhile. I couldn't get
                it to change this way either. You probably have it figured out by
                now but what I did was open Internet Explorer, went to Tools, folder
                options, file types, scrolled down to the TXT on the left and
                changed the program that you open files with this extension with.
                You can always click on the restore button if you change your
                mind..Did I tell you that I use WinXP..Hope this is what you are
                talking about? If not Sorry...Keithmj