Re: File encryption?

  • donaldhines
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pgk@a...> wrote:
      > if there is a way to encrypt NTP files.

      The most convienant and reliable way of encrypting text files is using
      PGP or truecrypt to create encrypted volumes. I use PGP, truecrypt is
      supposed to do the same thing, but is freeware.

      With PGP I simply create a PGPdisk. This disk can be any size you
      want, 100k, 1meg, 4gig, whatever you think you need. It is created as
      a file on your harddrive. Double click that file and it asks you for
      the passphrase, then mounts the file just like it was a hard drive
      attached to your computer. From that point on you can access all of
      the files you stored on that drive just like they were normal
      unencrypted files. If you set up the disk to mount as drive J (for
      journal) then all of your files would just be normal files on drive J.
      (J:\journal-01.txt etc). You can access them with Notetab, or any
      other program.

      BUT, as soon as you unmount the drive (or shut down your system, or
      even just walk away for 10 minutes if you set it up that way), the
      drive becomes unavailable. No one without the passphrase can re-mount
      the hard drive or unencrypt it.

      This makes the encryption process invisible to Notetab and the user
      doesn't have to worry about remembering to re-encrypt the file when
      they are done with it.

      Of course, if you are REALLY worried about someone getting any part of
      your journal, you will also need to make certain your swap file gets
      wiped. If windows swapped NoteTab out of memory in order to make room
      for some other program to run, parts of your journal MIGHT still be on
      the hard drive in the swap file. It would be hard to get to, and will
      , in all likelyhood, get overwritten soon. BUT, if you are being
      paranoid, try out the program Eraser (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/)
      It has an option to turn on the built in functionality in Windows XP
      and 2000 to wipe the swap file every time windows shuts down.

      Donald Hines
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
        Hi Ray and Others interested,

        >Have you examined any of the six clips in the "Utilities"
        >clipbook which ships with NTPro? As was already suggested, the
        >protection these clips provide may not be uncrackable, but they
        >should make decryption very inconvenient for unauthorized
        >persons.

        That may be true, although to the best of my knowledge, NoteTab
        will do it with the best encryption available (if selected) and
        you can always zip it up and password protect it. Furthermore,
        nothing is going to keep the best hackers out of it! Everything
        can be cracked! You can always encrypt and password protect in a
        zip to floppy, mem stick, etc. and that is just in case if you
        forget to take the floppy, mem stick, zip disk, etc. out of the
        drive/USB slot.

        Check out the Off Topic list folks, see below...

        >HTH
        >Ray Shapp

        Happy Topics,
        Jody