Re: [NTB] File encryption?

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
      Check this web site and see if there is anything that can
      help you:

      http://freeware.intrastar.net/encryption.htm

      Dennis
      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging

      --
      Dennis Hays
      Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
        Ahhh - Encryption. Might I suggest two things:

        GNU Privacy Guard
        OpenPGP encryption - http://www.gnupg.org/

        TrueCrypt
        Open Source disk/volume encryption -
        http://www.truecrypt.org/

        I use both. GnuPG (gpg) is a command line product,
        but there are several GUI front ends for Windows. I
        like the CLI, but GUI may be for you... And if you
        use ThunderBird, it has a plug-in (Enigmail) that
        provides key management features as well as e-mail
        encryption with other PGP users.

        I won't suggest anything else, because PGP is as
        secure as it gets assuming you go with RSA keys
        (--expert mode).

        --- Pete <pgk@...> wrote:

        > I have been a long-time user of NoteTab Pro. I am
        > currently using it
        > to keep a personal journal and was wondering if
        > there is a way to
        > encrypt NTP files. I can't find anything in the help
        > file about
        > encryption, so I am assuming that is not a built-in
        > function. Perhaps
        > there is an add-on or even an easy to use utility
        > that will do this
        > for me? Thanks for any advice.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
          Pete wrote:
          > I have been a long-time user of NoteTab Pro. I am currently using it
          > to keep a personal journal and was wondering if there is a way to
          > encrypt NTP files. I can't find anything in the help file about
          > encryption, so I am assuming that is not a built-in function. Perhaps
          > there is an add-on or even an easy to use utility that will do this
          > for me? Thanks for any advice.

          Pete,

          For any testing you may want to do make a spare copy of your journal in
          case of accidents. Its been a while since I've tried these but they
          should work OK.

          Some encryption capability is built-in, it depends how secure you want
          the journal. If you want to guard it at all costs PGP or another of the
          advanced encryptions is what you want.

          If you just want to make it extremely inconvenient for anyone to view
          your journal, NoteTab should handle that for you, with the help of a
          clip or 2.

          Check the following functions in NoteTab Help, they may give you an idea
          of the direction to take.

          ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)
          ^$StrDecrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)
          ^$StrUUDecode("Str")$ (added in v4.84)
          ^$StrUUEncode("Str")$ (added in v4.84)
          ^!FileScramble "InputName"[ "OutputName"[ "Key"]] (added in v4.84)

          ———————————————
          I've included 2 'short' clips that may help demonstrate NoteTabs
          encryption ability.

          The UUe clip will instruct you to select and copy target text to the
          clipboard, then copy the selected text to a new file and encrypt using
          the UUENCODE method.

          The UUd clip will decode the encrypted text/file to original form. These
          probably won't be perfectly suited to you needs, they may need
          considerable editing to use as you wish, but, they will give you an idea
          of how to do this job using only NoteTab.

          H=Kwik UUe
          ;_Modified-Updated~Created
          ;_20041106_10:43:19a_hsavage@...
          ^!Clearvariables
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
          ^!SetWordWrap 0
          ^!Set %ct%=^$DecToChar(164)$
          ^!ClipBoardSave
          ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty%
          ^!StatusShow Select, Copy Text To uuEN-CODE!!
          ^!Delay 20
          ^!StatusClose
          ^!Delay 1
          ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetClipboard$)$ Skip_-1
          ^!SetCode %ecw%=^$StrReplace("^";"^%ct%";^$GetClipboard$;0;0)$
          ^!Set %ecw%=^$StrUUEncode(^%ecw%)$
          ^!ClipBoardRestore
          ^!Menu File/New
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ^!RenameDoc "uu_ENCODED."
          ^!InsertCode ^%ecw%
          ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
          ^!SetView ^%begin%:1
          ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

          ———————————————

          H=Kwik UUd
          ;_Modified-Updated~Created
          ;_20041106_10:44:02a_hsavage@...
          ^!Clearvariables
          ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
          ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
          ^!SetWordWrap 0
          ^!Set %ct%=^$DecToChar(164)$
          ^!Find "begin 600" IBS
          ^!Set %begin%=^$GetRow$
          ^!Replace ^begin 600.*\n >> begin 600\s\n RS
          ^!Find ^end\n IRS
          ^!Jump LINE_END
          ^!SelectTo ^%begin%:1
          ^!InsertSelect ^$StrUUDecode(^$StrTrim(^$GetSelection$)$)$
          ^!Replace "^%ct%" >> "^" HSA
          ^!Menu Modify/E-Mail/UnQuote Text
          ^!RenameDoc "uu_DECODED."
          ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
          ^!SetView ^%begin%:1
          ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

          ºvº
          05.11.17
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • R Shapp
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
            Hi Pete,

            Have you examined any of the six clips in the "Utilities" clipbook which ships
            with NTPro? As was already suggested, the protection these clips provide may
            not be uncrackable, but they should make decryption very inconvenient for
            unauthorized persons.

            HTH

            Ray Shapp
          • donaldhines
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pgk@a...> wrote:
              > if there is a way to encrypt NTP files.

              The most convienant and reliable way of encrypting text files is using
              PGP or truecrypt to create encrypted volumes. I use PGP, truecrypt is
              supposed to do the same thing, but is freeware.

              With PGP I simply create a PGPdisk. This disk can be any size you
              want, 100k, 1meg, 4gig, whatever you think you need. It is created as
              a file on your harddrive. Double click that file and it asks you for
              the passphrase, then mounts the file just like it was a hard drive
              attached to your computer. From that point on you can access all of
              the files you stored on that drive just like they were normal
              unencrypted files. If you set up the disk to mount as drive J (for
              journal) then all of your files would just be normal files on drive J.
              (J:\journal-01.txt etc). You can access them with Notetab, or any
              other program.

              BUT, as soon as you unmount the drive (or shut down your system, or
              even just walk away for 10 minutes if you set it up that way), the
              drive becomes unavailable. No one without the passphrase can re-mount
              the hard drive or unencrypt it.

              This makes the encryption process invisible to Notetab and the user
              doesn't have to worry about remembering to re-encrypt the file when
              they are done with it.

              Of course, if you are REALLY worried about someone getting any part of
              your journal, you will also need to make certain your swap file gets
              wiped. If windows swapped NoteTab out of memory in order to make room
              for some other program to run, parts of your journal MIGHT still be on
              the hard drive in the swap file. It would be hard to get to, and will
              , in all likelyhood, get overwritten soon. BUT, if you are being
              paranoid, try out the program Eraser (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/)
              It has an option to turn on the built in functionality in Windows XP
              and 2000 to wipe the swap file every time windows shuts down.

              Donald Hines
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
                Hi Ray and Others interested,

                >Have you examined any of the six clips in the "Utilities"
                >clipbook which ships with NTPro? As was already suggested, the
                >protection these clips provide may not be uncrackable, but they
                >should make decryption very inconvenient for unauthorized
                >persons.

                That may be true, although to the best of my knowledge, NoteTab
                will do it with the best encryption available (if selected) and
                you can always zip it up and password protect it. Furthermore,
                nothing is going to keep the best hackers out of it! Everything
                can be cracked! You can always encrypt and password protect in a
                zip to floppy, mem stick, etc. and that is just in case if you
                forget to take the floppy, mem stick, zip disk, etc. out of the
                drive/USB slot.

                Check out the Off Topic list folks, see below...

                >HTH
                >Ray Shapp

                Happy Topics,
                Jody