File encryption?

  • Pete
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
      I have been a long-time user of NoteTab Pro. I am currently using it
      to keep a personal journal and was wondering if there is a way to
      encrypt NTP files. I can't find anything in the help file about
      encryption, so I am assuming that is not a built-in function. Perhaps
      there is an add-on or even an easy to use utility that will do this
      for me? Thanks for any advice.
    • Dennis Hays
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
        Check this web site and see if there is anything that can
        help you:

        http://freeware.intrastar.net/encryption.htm

        Dennis
        --
        Dennis Hays
        Secrets of Digital Imaging

        --
        Dennis Hays
        Secrets of Digital Imaging Audio Magazine
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
          Ahhh - Encryption. Might I suggest two things:

          GNU Privacy Guard
          OpenPGP encryption - http://www.gnupg.org/

          TrueCrypt
          Open Source disk/volume encryption -
          http://www.truecrypt.org/

          I use both. GnuPG (gpg) is a command line product,
          but there are several GUI front ends for Windows. I
          like the CLI, but GUI may be for you... And if you
          use ThunderBird, it has a plug-in (Enigmail) that
          provides key management features as well as e-mail
          encryption with other PGP users.

          I won't suggest anything else, because PGP is as
          secure as it gets assuming you go with RSA keys
          (--expert mode).

          --- Pete <pgk@...> wrote:

          > I have been a long-time user of NoteTab Pro. I am
          > currently using it
          > to keep a personal journal and was wondering if
          > there is a way to
          > encrypt NTP files. I can't find anything in the help
          > file about
          > encryption, so I am assuming that is not a built-in
          > function. Perhaps
          > there is an add-on or even an easy to use utility
          > that will do this
          > for me? Thanks for any advice.

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
            Pete wrote:
            > I have been a long-time user of NoteTab Pro. I am currently using it
            > to keep a personal journal and was wondering if there is a way to
            > encrypt NTP files. I can't find anything in the help file about
            > encryption, so I am assuming that is not a built-in function. Perhaps
            > there is an add-on or even an easy to use utility that will do this
            > for me? Thanks for any advice.

            Pete,

            For any testing you may want to do make a spare copy of your journal in
            case of accidents. Its been a while since I've tried these but they
            should work OK.

            Some encryption capability is built-in, it depends how secure you want
            the journal. If you want to guard it at all costs PGP or another of the
            advanced encryptions is what you want.

            If you just want to make it extremely inconvenient for anyone to view
            your journal, NoteTab should handle that for you, with the help of a
            clip or 2.

            Check the following functions in NoteTab Help, they may give you an idea
            of the direction to take.

            ^$StrEncrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)
            ^$StrDecrypt("Text";[Key])$ (added in v4.84)
            ^$StrUUDecode("Str")$ (added in v4.84)
            ^$StrUUEncode("Str")$ (added in v4.84)
            ^!FileScramble "InputName"[ "OutputName"[ "Key"]] (added in v4.84)

            ———————————————
            I've included 2 'short' clips that may help demonstrate NoteTabs
            encryption ability.

            The UUe clip will instruct you to select and copy target text to the
            clipboard, then copy the selected text to a new file and encrypt using
            the UUENCODE method.

            The UUd clip will decode the encrypted text/file to original form. These
            probably won't be perfectly suited to you needs, they may need
            considerable editing to use as you wish, but, they will give you an idea
            of how to do this job using only NoteTab.

            H=Kwik UUe
            ;_Modified-Updated~Created
            ;_20041106_10:43:19a_hsavage@...
            ^!Clearvariables
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!Set %ct%=^$DecToChar(164)$
            ^!ClipBoardSave
            ^!SetClipboard ^%Empty%
            ^!StatusShow Select, Copy Text To uuEN-CODE!!
            ^!Delay 20
            ^!StatusClose
            ^!Delay 1
            ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetClipboard$)$ Skip_-1
            ^!SetCode %ecw%=^$StrReplace("^";"^%ct%";^$GetClipboard$;0;0)$
            ^!Set %ecw%=^$StrUUEncode(^%ecw%)$
            ^!ClipBoardRestore
            ^!Menu File/New
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!RenameDoc "uu_ENCODED."
            ^!InsertCode ^%ecw%
            ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetView ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

            ———————————————

            H=Kwik UUd
            ;_Modified-Updated~Created
            ;_20041106_10:44:02a_hsavage@...
            ^!Clearvariables
            ^!SetScreenUpdate 0
            ^!Set %ww%=^$IsWordWrap$
            ^!SetWordWrap 0
            ^!Set %ct%=^$DecToChar(164)$
            ^!Find "begin 600" IBS
            ^!Set %begin%=^$GetRow$
            ^!Replace ^begin 600.*\n >> begin 600\s\n RS
            ^!Find ^end\n IRS
            ^!Jump LINE_END
            ^!SelectTo ^%begin%:1
            ^!InsertSelect ^$StrUUDecode(^$StrTrim(^$GetSelection$)$)$
            ^!Replace "^%ct%" >> "^" HSA
            ^!Menu Modify/E-Mail/UnQuote Text
            ^!RenameDoc "uu_DECODED."
            ^!SetCursor ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetView ^%begin%:1
            ^!SetWordWrap ^%ww%

            ºvº
            05.11.17
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • R Shapp
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 17, 2005
              Hi Pete,

              Have you examined any of the six clips in the "Utilities" clipbook which ships
              with NTPro? As was already suggested, the protection these clips provide may
              not be uncrackable, but they should make decryption very inconvenient for
              unauthorized persons.

              HTH

              Ray Shapp
            • donaldhines
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Pete" <pgk@a...> wrote:
                > if there is a way to encrypt NTP files.

                The most convienant and reliable way of encrypting text files is using
                PGP or truecrypt to create encrypted volumes. I use PGP, truecrypt is
                supposed to do the same thing, but is freeware.

                With PGP I simply create a PGPdisk. This disk can be any size you
                want, 100k, 1meg, 4gig, whatever you think you need. It is created as
                a file on your harddrive. Double click that file and it asks you for
                the passphrase, then mounts the file just like it was a hard drive
                attached to your computer. From that point on you can access all of
                the files you stored on that drive just like they were normal
                unencrypted files. If you set up the disk to mount as drive J (for
                journal) then all of your files would just be normal files on drive J.
                (J:\journal-01.txt etc). You can access them with Notetab, or any
                other program.

                BUT, as soon as you unmount the drive (or shut down your system, or
                even just walk away for 10 minutes if you set it up that way), the
                drive becomes unavailable. No one without the passphrase can re-mount
                the hard drive or unencrypt it.

                This makes the encryption process invisible to Notetab and the user
                doesn't have to worry about remembering to re-encrypt the file when
                they are done with it.

                Of course, if you are REALLY worried about someone getting any part of
                your journal, you will also need to make certain your swap file gets
                wiped. If windows swapped NoteTab out of memory in order to make room
                for some other program to run, parts of your journal MIGHT still be on
                the hard drive in the swap file. It would be hard to get to, and will
                , in all likelyhood, get overwritten soon. BUT, if you are being
                paranoid, try out the program Eraser (http://www.tolvanen.com/eraser/)
                It has an option to turn on the built in functionality in Windows XP
                and 2000 to wipe the swap file every time windows shuts down.

                Donald Hines
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 18, 2005
                  Hi Ray and Others interested,

                  >Have you examined any of the six clips in the "Utilities"
                  >clipbook which ships with NTPro? As was already suggested, the
                  >protection these clips provide may not be uncrackable, but they
                  >should make decryption very inconvenient for unauthorized
                  >persons.

                  That may be true, although to the best of my knowledge, NoteTab
                  will do it with the best encryption available (if selected) and
                  you can always zip it up and password protect it. Furthermore,
                  nothing is going to keep the best hackers out of it! Everything
                  can be cracked! You can always encrypt and password protect in a
                  zip to floppy, mem stick, etc. and that is just in case if you
                  forget to take the floppy, mem stick, zip disk, etc. out of the
                  drive/USB slot.

                  Check out the Off Topic list folks, see below...

                  >HTH
                  >Ray Shapp

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody