Re: [NTB] Note that file associations cannot have periods ("txt", not ".txt")

  • Ugly Sean
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2005
      From: "howardlkaplan" <howard@...>
      To: <notetab@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 14:59
      Subject: [NTB] Note that file associations cannot have periods ("txt", not
      ".txt")

      > This isn't a question; it's something that I discovered today while
      > trying to create some file associations. I'm posting it here because
      > it's not covered in the help system, and perhaps this will enable
      > another user to find the information by searching the newsgroup archives.
      >
      > When creating file associations, it's important that they be entered
      > without their leading periods. That is, "txt" is valid, but ".txt" isn't.
      >
      > Howard Kaplan
      > Toronto, Ontario

      Oh neat. A local. Cool. The "help" blurb says

      "This tab is not displayed if you have disabled the "Show Advanced Features"
      option, or if your registry does not allow changes to file associations!

      This tab provides an editor that lets you define the types of files
      associated with NoteTab. You can edit, delete and add new extensions to the
      list. The order is of no importance. "

      So if I select "Replace MS Notepad" what happens?

      Nothing. Let me build my model from the "File Filters" tab.

      Doesn't work. Can't enter *.txt
      And you can't enter .txt
      txt is the only option.
      So when you say "it's important that they be entered
      without their leading periods" it seems that it can't be done normally
      anyhow. The program prevents it.
      Luckily, that helps by taking out a lot of the guess work.

      -Ugly Sean
      Barrie, Ontario