Re: Unable to associate file types with Note Tab Pro

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
      >>and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
      anything.<<

      And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
      to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
      files with this program"?

      Just checking.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "caltex1949" <catchall222@c...> wrote:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
      > > Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
      >
      > I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same as
      > right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab didn't show
      > in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
      > anything. There must be some weird configuration in my system and am
      > hoping someone else has come across this same problem and found a fix.
    • caltex1949
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
        > And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
        > to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
        > files with this program"?

        Yep. But even if I didn't, it seems to me that it should then show up
        in the list of available applications. And I do have administrator
        privileges. The .exe file I find in \Program Files\NoteTab Pro, to
        which I have been trying to associate, is called "NotePro.exe" as
        opposed to "NoteTabPro.exe". The application does work. I just don't
        have the convenience that I got used to where I could just double
        click files and have them open in NoteTab. For now, and until a fix
        is found, I'll just live with dragging and dropping files onto the
        NoteTab icon that I keep available on my desktop. Thanks, rpdooling,
        for your assistance in this matter.
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
          Hi caltex1949,

          >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
          >> Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
          >
          >I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same
          >as right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab
          >didn't show in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe
          >didn't change anything. There must be some weird configuration
          >in my system and am hoping someone else has come across this same
          >problem and found a fix.

          Didn't any of my suggestions at my support address help? Did you
          try all the removal of the installed trials, Light, etc. in
          NoteTab's Association tab? Did you use that same tab to associate
          NoteTab in your current version? Did you try reinstalling? If all
          that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I can walk
          you trough editing the system registry. That is a last resort
          option. You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
          Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
          uninstall procedures it will return you to the last settings you
          had for the file types you associate with NoteTab. If you use the
          folder options, file types, it can cause problems with NoteTab
          (or did in years past). When you use NoteTab's options it adds
          all the print, print to, etc. See the footers for signing up on
          the Off Topic list or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

          Happy Topics,
          Jody

          The NoteTab Off-Topic List

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 5, 2005
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
            > ...Did you try all the removal of the installed trials, Light,
            > etc. in NoteTab's Association tab?

            All I see available in the Association tab is a list of associated
            file types and the ability to add or remove them. I didn't see
            anything about removal of installed apps. Adding or removing file
            types in this tab has no effect.

            > Did you use that same tab to associate NoteTab in your
            > current version?

            Yes. No effect.

            > Did you try reinstalling?

            Many times--always uninstalling NoteTab Pro before reinstalling. I
            tried a "compact" install once to see if that made a difference, but
            it did not. Each time I install, the NoteTab icon listed in \Control
            Panel\Add or Remove Programs\ is the "unins000.exe" icon labeled as
            "NoteTab Pro (Remove only)" rather the NotePro.exe icon--both of which
            are found in the NoteTab Pro Program Files folder. I have deleted the
            "ntp495full.exe" installer and downloaded another copy to see if that
            makes a difference, but it does not.

            > If all that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I
            > can walk you trough editing the system registry. That is a
            > last resort option.

            I'm not really computer savvy enough to know for sure, but I'm really
            not too keen on making adjustments to my system registry for just one
            application that I use half as much as many others. I work from home
            as a consultant and my livelihood depends on my computer being up and
            productive. My fear is that changes that might get NoteTab working
            properly might have insidious affects on other applications.

            > You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
            > Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
            > uninstall procedures...

            At various times I have used both "Add or Remove Programs" in the
            Control Panel and the "unins000.exe" file in the Program Files folder.
            Both have rendered the same results.

            > ...it will return you to the last settings you had for the file
            > types you associate with NoteTab.

            Each time after I uninstall and then reinstall, even if I have
            previously associated file types in the Association tab, the list is
            empty. I do remember that after the first install of Pro and the
            subsequent uninstalls of the Standard and Pro Trial versions, I
            noticed that files that displayed the standard NoteTab white cross on
            red field icons immediately before the uninstalls, were defaulting to
            a generic icon immediately after the uninstalls. Since then, the
            icons are of whatever application was at the top of the "Recommended"
            list after I have attempted to associate files using the right click
            "Open As" function.

            > ...See the footers for signing up on the Off Topic list or go to
            > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            As stated, if the purpose of signing onto the Off Topic list is to
            edit the system registry, I think I will hold off on that unless I am
            totally wrong about the possibility of adverse affects to my computer.

            Thanks.