Re: Unable to associate file types with Note Tab Pro

  • rpdooling
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
      That IS weird. I assume you have administrator privileges and all of
      that? And I assume NoteTab runs, you just can't get it to appear in
      the files of type list? I thought I was answering an easy one. Don't
      worry somebody else will help you.

      It's a good board.

      Rick

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "caltex1949" <catchall222@c...> wrote:
      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
      > > Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
      >
      > I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same as
      > right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab didn't show
      > in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
      > anything. There must be some weird configuration in my system and am
      > hoping someone else has come across this same problem and found a fix.
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
        >>and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
        anything.<<

        And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
        to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
        files with this program"?

        Just checking.

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "caltex1949" <catchall222@c...> wrote:
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
        > > Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
        >
        > I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same as
        > right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab didn't show
        > in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
        > anything. There must be some weird configuration in my system and am
        > hoping someone else has come across this same problem and found a fix.
      • caltex1949
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
          > And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
          > to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
          > files with this program"?

          Yep. But even if I didn't, it seems to me that it should then show up
          in the list of available applications. And I do have administrator
          privileges. The .exe file I find in \Program Files\NoteTab Pro, to
          which I have been trying to associate, is called "NotePro.exe" as
          opposed to "NoteTabPro.exe". The application does work. I just don't
          have the convenience that I got used to where I could just double
          click files and have them open in NoteTab. For now, and until a fix
          is found, I'll just live with dragging and dropping files onto the
          NoteTab icon that I keep available on my desktop. Thanks, rpdooling,
          for your assistance in this matter.
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
            Hi caltex1949,

            >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
            >> Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
            >
            >I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same
            >as right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab
            >didn't show in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe
            >didn't change anything. There must be some weird configuration
            >in my system and am hoping someone else has come across this same
            >problem and found a fix.

            Didn't any of my suggestions at my support address help? Did you
            try all the removal of the installed trials, Light, etc. in
            NoteTab's Association tab? Did you use that same tab to associate
            NoteTab in your current version? Did you try reinstalling? If all
            that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I can walk
            you trough editing the system registry. That is a last resort
            option. You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
            Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
            uninstall procedures it will return you to the last settings you
            had for the file types you associate with NoteTab. If you use the
            folder options, file types, it can cause problems with NoteTab
            (or did in years past). When you use NoteTab's options it adds
            all the print, print to, etc. See the footers for signing up on
            the Off Topic list or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

            Happy Topics,
            Jody

            The NoteTab Off-Topic List

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 5, 2005
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
              > ...Did you try all the removal of the installed trials, Light,
              > etc. in NoteTab's Association tab?

              All I see available in the Association tab is a list of associated
              file types and the ability to add or remove them. I didn't see
              anything about removal of installed apps. Adding or removing file
              types in this tab has no effect.

              > Did you use that same tab to associate NoteTab in your
              > current version?

              Yes. No effect.

              > Did you try reinstalling?

              Many times--always uninstalling NoteTab Pro before reinstalling. I
              tried a "compact" install once to see if that made a difference, but
              it did not. Each time I install, the NoteTab icon listed in \Control
              Panel\Add or Remove Programs\ is the "unins000.exe" icon labeled as
              "NoteTab Pro (Remove only)" rather the NotePro.exe icon--both of which
              are found in the NoteTab Pro Program Files folder. I have deleted the
              "ntp495full.exe" installer and downloaded another copy to see if that
              makes a difference, but it does not.

              > If all that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I
              > can walk you trough editing the system registry. That is a
              > last resort option.

              I'm not really computer savvy enough to know for sure, but I'm really
              not too keen on making adjustments to my system registry for just one
              application that I use half as much as many others. I work from home
              as a consultant and my livelihood depends on my computer being up and
              productive. My fear is that changes that might get NoteTab working
              properly might have insidious affects on other applications.

              > You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
              > Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
              > uninstall procedures...

              At various times I have used both "Add or Remove Programs" in the
              Control Panel and the "unins000.exe" file in the Program Files folder.
              Both have rendered the same results.

              > ...it will return you to the last settings you had for the file
              > types you associate with NoteTab.

              Each time after I uninstall and then reinstall, even if I have
              previously associated file types in the Association tab, the list is
              empty. I do remember that after the first install of Pro and the
              subsequent uninstalls of the Standard and Pro Trial versions, I
              noticed that files that displayed the standard NoteTab white cross on
              red field icons immediately before the uninstalls, were defaulting to
              a generic icon immediately after the uninstalls. Since then, the
              icons are of whatever application was at the top of the "Recommended"
              list after I have attempted to associate files using the right click
              "Open As" function.

              > ...See the footers for signing up on the Off Topic list or go to
              > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

              As stated, if the purpose of signing onto the Off Topic list is to
              edit the system registry, I think I will hold off on that unless I am
              totally wrong about the possibility of adverse affects to my computer.

              Thanks.