Unable to associate file types with Note Tab Pro

  • caltex1949
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
      Night before last I purchased NoteTab Pro to replace my trial Pro
      version and NoteTab Standard version. With the trial Pro and full
      standard versions installed, I was able to set NoteTab as the default
      app for opening .html files (and others).

      Now with the full Pro version installed, I have been unable to set
      NoteTab as the default app. If I select an html file and select "Open
      With", NoteTab does not show in either the "Recommended" or "Other"
      lists. When I browse to NoteTab Pro and attempt to set NotePro.exe as
      the application, NoteTab still does not show up in either list and the
      selection defaults to the top application in the "Recommended" list
      (in my case that is Firefox). I tried using the NoteTab feature that
      allows for the replacement of Notepad (which does show in the
      "Recommended" list) with NoteTab Pro, but the results are the same as
      before (as stated in the help menu, this may be due to my Windows XP
      operating system, but no warning message comes up for me to cancel.)
      I have uninstalled NoteTab Standard, NoteTab Pro Trial, and NoteTab
      Pro, then reinstalled NoteTab Pro, but to no avail. NoteTab Pro is
      listed in "Add and Remove Software" in the Control Panel, but it does
      not have the white-cross-on-red icon (I can't make out what the
      current icon is) and is listed as "NoteTab Pro (Remove only)". I
      uninstalled that, deleted the previous .exe installer, disabled the
      firewall, downloaded a new installer, re-enabled the firewall, and
      re-installed NoteTab Pro. The result is the same behavior as before:
      adding associations don't work, replacing MS Notepad with NoteTab
      doesn't work, NoteTap Pro doesn't show up in the list of Recommended
      or Other applications, and it is still listed as "NoteTab Pro (Remove
      only)" in the Control Panel.

      I've been a big fan of NoteTab for about 6 years, but I am running out
      of patience and time. There is no other application that I want to
      use other than NoteTab. Any suggestions?

      Running NoteTap Pro 4.5 on Windows XP, SP2.
    • rpdooling
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
        Dear CalTex:

        Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?

        Go to Control Panel|Folder Options then to the "File Types" tab,
        scroll down to find TXT files or whatever extension you want to
        associate. Then go down to where it says, "Opens With" and change it
        to NoteTab.

        Do the same with any other files you want to associate with NoteTab.
        You can change the icon in the Advanced tab.

        Hope that helps.

        Rick

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
          > Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...

          I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same as
          right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab didn't show
          in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
          anything. There must be some weird configuration in my system and am
          hoping someone else has come across this same problem and found a fix.
        • rpdooling
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
            That IS weird. I assume you have administrator privileges and all of
            that? And I assume NoteTab runs, you just can't get it to appear in
            the files of type list? I thought I was answering an easy one. Don't
            worry somebody else will help you.

            It's a good board.

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
              >>and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe didn't change
              anything.<<

              And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
              to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
              files with this program"?

              Just checking.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                > And after you browse to notetabpro.exe, did you check the little box
                > to the left that says "always use the selected program to open these
                > files with this program"?

                Yep. But even if I didn't, it seems to me that it should then show up
                in the list of available applications. And I do have administrator
                privileges. The .exe file I find in \Program Files\NoteTab Pro, to
                which I have been trying to associate, is called "NotePro.exe" as
                opposed to "NoteTabPro.exe". The application does work. I just don't
                have the convenience that I got used to where I could just double
                click files and have them open in NoteTab. For now, and until a fix
                is found, I'll just live with dragging and dropping files onto the
                NoteTab icon that I keep available on my desktop. Thanks, rpdooling,
                for your assistance in this matter.
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2005
                  Hi caltex1949,

                  >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "rpdooling" <rpdooling@y...> wrote:
                  >> Did you try doing it through Windows XP file associations?...
                  >
                  >I tried your suggestion, thank you, but the result was the same
                  >as right clicking a file and selecting "Open With". NoteTab
                  >didn't show in the list, and browsing and selecting NotePro.exe
                  >didn't change anything. There must be some weird configuration
                  >in my system and am hoping someone else has come across this same
                  >problem and found a fix.

                  Didn't any of my suggestions at my support address help? Did you
                  try all the removal of the installed trials, Light, etc. in
                  NoteTab's Association tab? Did you use that same tab to associate
                  NoteTab in your current version? Did you try reinstalling? If all
                  that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I can walk
                  you trough editing the system registry. That is a last resort
                  option. You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
                  Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
                  uninstall procedures it will return you to the last settings you
                  had for the file types you associate with NoteTab. If you use the
                  folder options, file types, it can cause problems with NoteTab
                  (or did in years past). When you use NoteTab's options it adds
                  all the print, print to, etc. See the footers for signing up on
                  the Off Topic list or go to http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                  Happy Topics,
                  Jody

                  The NoteTab Off-Topic List

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 5, 2005
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jody <kjv-av1611@e...> wrote:
                    > ...Did you try all the removal of the installed trials, Light,
                    > etc. in NoteTab's Association tab?

                    All I see available in the Association tab is a list of associated
                    file types and the ability to add or remove them. I didn't see
                    anything about removal of installed apps. Adding or removing file
                    types in this tab has no effect.

                    > Did you use that same tab to associate NoteTab in your
                    > current version?

                    Yes. No effect.

                    > Did you try reinstalling?

                    Many times--always uninstalling NoteTab Pro before reinstalling. I
                    tried a "compact" install once to see if that made a difference, but
                    it did not. Each time I install, the NoteTab icon listed in \Control
                    Panel\Add or Remove Programs\ is the "unins000.exe" icon labeled as
                    "NoteTab Pro (Remove only)" rather the NotePro.exe icon--both of which
                    are found in the NoteTab Pro Program Files folder. I have deleted the
                    "ntp495full.exe" installer and downloaded another copy to see if that
                    makes a difference, but it does not.

                    > If all that was done and you sign up for the off topic list I
                    > can walk you trough editing the system registry. That is a
                    > last resort option.

                    I'm not really computer savvy enough to know for sure, but I'm really
                    not too keen on making adjustments to my system registry for just one
                    application that I use half as much as many others. I work from home
                    as a consultant and my livelihood depends on my computer being up and
                    productive. My fear is that changes that might get NoteTab working
                    properly might have insidious affects on other applications.

                    > You really should use NoteTab's Association tab in View
                    > Options, so that if you uninstalled NoteTab (using the correct
                    > uninstall procedures...

                    At various times I have used both "Add or Remove Programs" in the
                    Control Panel and the "unins000.exe" file in the Program Files folder.
                    Both have rendered the same results.

                    > ...it will return you to the last settings you had for the file
                    > types you associate with NoteTab.

                    Each time after I uninstall and then reinstall, even if I have
                    previously associated file types in the Association tab, the list is
                    empty. I do remember that after the first install of Pro and the
                    subsequent uninstalls of the Standard and Pro Trial versions, I
                    noticed that files that displayed the standard NoteTab white cross on
                    red field icons immediately before the uninstalls, were defaulting to
                    a generic icon immediately after the uninstalls. Since then, the
                    icons are of whatever application was at the top of the "Recommended"
                    list after I have attempted to associate files using the right click
                    "Open As" function.

                    > ...See the footers for signing up on the Off Topic list or go to
                    > http://www.fookes.us/maillist.htm

                    As stated, if the purpose of signing onto the Off Topic list is to
                    edit the system registry, I think I will hold off on that unless I am
                    totally wrong about the possibility of adverse affects to my computer.

                    Thanks.