Re: Will Notetab Pro let me copy and paste from web pages and capture...

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 30, 2005
      So this WILL work with IE and Notetab. Very cool. Now, forgive me, but can you explain what a bookmarklet is and how/where to install it?

      Sounds like it will do EXACTLY what I need and will let me use Notetab the way I want to.

      Thanks,
      kwc

      k e n w i n s t o n c a i n e
      http://www.kenwinstoncaine.com
      http:/www.wellnessU.org
      "WRITING THAT HELPS"
      Specializing in health, personal growth, environment
      and holistics

      Box 95, Cerrillos, NM 87010 505.780.1894

      Editor, Coaching Insider
      http://www.coachinginsider.com/current
      Message: 1
      Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:55:33 -0000
      From: "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@...>
      Subject: Re: Will Notetab Pro let me copy and paste from web pages and capture...

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:

      > When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does not
      > capture the link URL.

      Try this bookmarklet, it works in Opera, Firefox and IE.

      warning: one long line, make sure you get it all into bookmarklet URL

      javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for (var i=0;i<l.length;i++) {if (l[i].href!="") l[i].parentNode.insertBefore(document.createTextNode(" ["+l[i].href+"] "),l[i].nextSibling)}})();

      Selecting the bookmarklet adds " [link's_url] " after all links on page, so when you cut the text they are included.

      Jorma

    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
        it may work in IE, I didn't try it. It doesn't seem to work in firefox
        for me.

        Here is a page that explains a little bit:
        http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/

        What I do is make a link in a web page (to make a web page open a new
        file in notetab, then do modify/document to html/with paragraph tags.
        Insert an href tag and insert the bookmarklet as the url (all on one
        line). The descriptive text is what it will show as under bookmarks.
        Then either right click and add to bookmarks, or drag it to your links
        toolbar (my favorite as there is now a button to do it).
      • jorigami
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:
          > So this WILL work with IE and Notetab. Very cool. Now, forgive me, but can you explain what a bookmarklet is and how/where to install it?

          Managing bookmarks in IE is a mess, so easiest way to add bookmarklet
          is

          - on the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites.
          - give it some meaningful name ("show links" maybe)
          - on the Favorites menu, click the new bookmark with right mouse button
          - select Properties
          - change URL to Javascript I posted

          I've tested this with Finnish language IE6SP1 with all patches.

          Jorma
        • jorigami
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
            > It doesn't seem to work in firefox for me.

            I guess it's time for me to update. I only use Ff for testing so I'm
            several releases behind the rest of the world.

            Jorma
          • jorigami
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@a...> wrote:
              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
              > > It doesn't seem to work in firefox for me.
              >
              > I guess it's time for me to update. I only use Ff for testing so I'm
              > several releases behind the rest of the world.

              I updated to Ff 1.07 Finnish, it still works fine for me. No
              extensions except for Link Toolbar.

              Jorma
            • jorigami
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@a...> wrote:

                > Try this bookmarklet, it works in Opera, Firefox and IE.
                >
                > warning: one long line, make sure you get it all into bookmarklet URL
                >
                > javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for (var i=0;i<l.length;i++) {if (l[i].href!="") l[i].parentNode.insertBefore(document.createTextNode(" ["+l[i].href+"] "),l[i].nextSibling)}})();

                If you have trouble getting it work, try copying it from page

                http://www.sci.fi/~tenu/bookmarklets.htm

                You can try it first by clicking the link on page, if the JavaScript
                source apperars then it works as intended. Just click it with right
                mouse button and select "Add to Favourites".

                Jorma
              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 29, 2005
                  Just have to thank you again for this, Jorma. Been using it for a
                  couple months and it's amazingly helpful in my work.

                  Got it working in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. (Pop-up blocker
                  was stopping it in Firefox.) Have it in the toolbar in Firefox now. No
                  matter what webpage I'm on, I just click on the toolbar "Show Links"
                  icon and the full path for every link on the page appears. Then I can
                  Select All/Copy/Paste into Notetab and have the actual links in my
                  Notetab file.

                  Best,
                  kwc