Will Notetab Pro let me copy and paste from web pages and capture...

  • ken winston caine
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 25, 2005
      ...links?

      I use Notetab Standard all the time. Am considering moving up to Pro.
      But this is one function I need.

      When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does not
      capture the link URL. Will Pro do that? Or is there a setting I need to
      change in Standard so that I get that?

      Thanks,
      kwc
    • loro
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2005
        ken winston caine wrote:
        >When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does not
        >capture the link URL. Will Pro do that? Or is there a setting I need to
        >change in Standard so that I get that?

        Nope. I think you need, *gasp*, Word.

        Lotta
      • M. Sean Fosmire
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 26, 2005
          Are you wanting

          - the URL for the page containing the text you copy? or
          - the URLs of links contained in the text?

          As others have said, NoteTab Pro will not do either, because it is
          oriented to plain text. To do fancier stuff, you may need to use RTF-
          enabled software.

          Evernote <http://www.evernote.com> can grab the description and URL
          of the source page, and is otherwise able to produce a nice-appearing
          entry in the destination.

          Live links can be copied through to the destination under several
          programs, including Atlantis <http://www.rssol.com/>.

          The exceptions:

          Zoot <http://www.zootsoftware.com> is text-based but will snag the
          URL of the source page when copying its text.

          Keynote <http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html> will carry
          through the URLs of contained links and paste them as plain text
          after the label of the link. Unfortunately, the end result is often
          not very pretty.

          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
            Hi Ken,

            >--- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:
            >> ...links?
            >>
            >> I use Notetab Standard all the time. Am considering moving up
            >> to Pro. But this is one function I need.
            >>
            >> When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does
            >> not capture the link URL. Will Pro do that? Or is there a
            >> setting I need to change in Standard so that I get that?

            I don't know the terminology you are using, but it looks like you
            want to copy a link and have the name and the link show up in
            NoteTab. NoteTab cannot do that in one pass, but can in two using
            either the Pasteboard or CaptureLinks Library. If you have
            NoteTab in the system tray you can easily turn on/off the current
            document as being the Pasteboard. All versions will do both. See
            the Help file for the Pasteboard and reference the Information
            Clip in the CaptureLinks Library for instructions with it.

            Mentions of other software should really be sent private email or
            bring up the discussion on the Off Topics list. But thanks to all
            for only posting those links and not getting into discussion
            about it on this list. :)

            Happy Tab'n,

          • ken winston caine
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
              Thanks to everybody who has replied and let me know that, even if I upgrade to Notetab Pro, I won't be able to capture the code for live links from webpages.

              Sounds as though Keynote, as described by M. Sean Fosmire, does what I need. Sean said,

              "Keynote <http://www.tranglos.com/free/keynote.html> will carry
              through the URLs of contained links and paste them as plain text
              after the label of the link. Unfortunately, the end result is often
              not very pretty."

              Doesn't have to be pretty. Just has to capture it for me so that I can cite it, or code it in what I'm writing. For 11 years I've used Word for capturing my web notes while I was researching (because it DOES preserve live links). But it's bulky and inserts unwanted code that my content management system doesn't like. For instance, Word's smart quotes are a problem in my publishing system. So was hoping to use Notetab, which I use for virtually everything text oriented, for my research. No can do.

              Will look into some of the suggestions offered.

              Thanks again,
              kwc

              k e n w i n s t o n c a i n e
              http://www.kenwinstoncaine.com
              http:/www.wellnessU.org
              "WRITING THAT HELPS"
              Specializing in health, personal growth, environment
              and holistics

              Box 95, Cerrillos, NM 87010 505.780.1894

              Editor, Coaching Insider
              http://www.coachinginsider.com/current

            • Tim Ferguson
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
                On 27 Sep 2005 at 17:31, ken winston caine wrote:

                > Thanks to everybody who has replied and let me know that, even if I
                > upgrade to Notetab Pro, I won't be able to capture the code for live links
                > from webpages.

                Why not use the browser's own View Page Source option and
                copy the code from there?

                Tim F

                <-- Tim Ferguson timothy@... -->
              • ken winston caine
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 27, 2005
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Ferguson" <timothy@g...> wrote:
                  > On 27 Sep 2005 at 17:31, ken winston caine wrote:
                  >
                  > > Thanks to everybody who has replied and let me know that, even
                  if I
                  > > upgrade to Notetab Pro, I won't be able to capture the code for
                  live links
                  > > from webpages.
                  >
                  > Why not use the browser's own View Page Source option and
                  > copy the code from there?
                  >
                  > Tim F
                  >
                  > <-- Tim Ferguson timothy@g... -->

                  I could certainly do that, Tim. One solution. But not really
                  practical for how I do research. I often have eight or nine windows
                  open at once and often am copying 7,000 to 10,000 words long journal
                  articles into my research file and they may have many links on each
                  page. Would be very tedious and time consuming to go through and
                  copy the URL for each link from the sourcecode. I'm looking for a
                  way to automate that, other than using Word.

                  Just downloaded and tested Keynote. It appears to be a Word
                  processor, rather than a text processor. And saves in a proprietary
                  format. Not sure that it won't add unwanted code to my files. They
                  need to be clean text before I drop them into Expression Engine--
                  with which I publish a magazine.

                  What I do.... I research a topic on dozens, even hundreds of
                  websites, grabbing bits here and there, and sometimes whole
                  articles, if they are especially authoritative. All of that goes
                  into one text file.

                  I read through it all. Skim it. Note authorities/sources/questions
                  to ask. Call people, interview them. And then, when writing my piece
                  (article or book--I've written more than 20 books), I refer to these
                  notes, and cite these notes, attributing to the various sources. And
                  if they have given a link to a website that has more info, I'll want
                  to click that link and check it out. And myabe recommend it in my
                  article. Can't do that if my text editor doesn't capture the links.

                  Maybe that better explains my need.

                  Thanks,
                  kwc
                • rpdooling
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 28, 2005
                    Ken,

                    I write books, too, doing just what you say here:

                    >>I often have eight or nine windows
                    open at once and often am copying 7,000 to 10,000 words long journal
                    articles into my research file and they may have many links on each
                    page. Would be very tedious and time consuming to go through and
                    copy the URL for each link from the sourcecode. I'm looking for a
                    way to automate that, other than using Word.<<

                    My preferred method is to simply go to the browser file menu and "save
                    page as text" then copy the link from the address window and paste it
                    in the top of the text file. All other links in the page itself are
                    saved properly and hyperlinked. I do it this way because I find I
                    usually reopen the text file, tidy up the heading of the artice
                    anyway, and rename it appropriately before I save it. As you mention
                    the important thing is that you get a txt file with everything you
                    need in it and you don't need any special software to read it two
                    years from now.

                    The bigger issue is that NoteTab Pro is a writer's dream, for just the
                    reasons you mention. And if you are willing to devote just a little
                    time up front you can make a clip that will do almost anything,
                    including whatever you are trying to do here, in conjunction with the
                    browser of your choice.

                    Rick
                    www.dooling.com

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:
                    > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Tim Ferguson" <timothy@g...> wrote:
                    > > On 27 Sep 2005 at 17:31, ken winston caine wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Thanks to everybody who has replied and let me know that, even
                    > if I
                    > > > upgrade to Notetab Pro, I won't be able to capture the code for
                    > live links
                    > > > from webpages.
                    > >
                    > > Why not use the browser's own View Page Source option and
                    > > copy the code from there?
                    > >
                    > > Tim F
                    > >
                    > > <-- Tim Ferguson timothy@g... -->
                    >

                    > I could certainly do that, Tim. One solution. But not really
                    > practical for how I do research. I often have eight or nine windows
                    > open at once and often am copying 7,000 to 10,000 words long journal
                    > articles into my research file and they may have many links on each
                    > page. Would be very tedious and time consuming to go through and
                    > copy the URL for each link from the sourcecode. I'm looking for a
                    > way to automate that, other than using Word.
                    >
                    > Just downloaded and tested Keynote. It appears to be a Word
                    > processor, rather than a text processor. And saves in a proprietary
                    > format. Not sure that it won't add unwanted code to my files. They
                    > need to be clean text before I drop them into Expression Engine--
                    > with which I publish a magazine.
                    >
                    > What I do.... I research a topic on dozens, even hundreds of
                    > websites, grabbing bits here and there, and sometimes whole
                    > articles, if they are especially authoritative. All of that goes
                    > into one text file.
                    >
                    > I read through it all. Skim it. Note authorities/sources/questions
                    > to ask. Call people, interview them. And then, when writing my piece
                    > (article or book--I've written more than 20 books), I refer to these
                    > notes, and cite these notes, attributing to the various sources. And
                    > if they have given a link to a website that has more info, I'll want
                    > to click that link and check it out. And myabe recommend it in my
                    > article. Can't do that if my text editor doesn't capture the links.
                    >
                    > Maybe that better explains my need.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > kwc
                  • marbux
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
                      There is another option if you use the Mozilla or Firefox browsers,
                      the CopyURL+ extension, <http://copyurlplus.mozdev.org/>. Although the
                      default installation does not do what you want, if you'll check the
                      customization page you'll find code to do what you're after. It works
                      well; I'm a web researcher/writer and I use it dozens of times daily.
                      Note that it is pretty easy to customize the output you want after you
                      spend a few minutes becoming familiar with the code syntax.

                      Best regards,

                      Marbux
                    • marbux
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
                        On 9/29/05, marbux <marbux@...> wrote:
                        > There is another option if you use the Mozilla or Firefox browsers,
                        > the CopyURL+ extension, <http://copyurlplus.mozdev.org/>. Although the
                        > default installation does not do what you want, if you'll check the
                        > customization page you'll find code to do what you're after. It works
                        > well; I'm a web researcher/writer and I use it dozens of times daily.
                        > Note that it is pretty easy to customize the output you want after you
                        > spend a few minutes becoming familiar with the code syntax.

                        Sorry for the error. After reading your more detailed post, I realized
                        that CopyURL+ is not quite what you are after (although I think you
                        will find it useful too). The tool I use that comes closest to what
                        you are after is Mozex, <http://mozex.mozdev.org/index.html>, another
                        Mozilla/Firefox extension. With Mozex properly installed, the View
                        Source command in Mozilla/Firefox will open the page source in a new
                        file in NoteTab rather than in the browser. One way you might use it
                        is with the NoteTab pasteboard function turned on, View Source for a
                        given web page, Cntrl+A to block the page and copy it to the
                        pasteboard file, close the page source file, move onto the next web
                        page. All of your reviewed pages, with source code, would wind up
                        appended to the text in the file set as the pasteboard file. You
                        might insert a routine under CopyURL+ to capture the web page's URL
                        and title as well.

                        Hope this helps,

                        Marbux
                      • Jacques Turbé
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 29, 2005
                          2005/9/29, marbux <marbux@...>:
                          > The tool I use that comes closest to what
                          > you are after is Mozex, <http://mozex.mozdev.org/index.html>, another
                          > Mozilla/Firefox extension. With Mozex properly installed, the View
                          > Source command in Mozilla/Firefox will open the page source in a new
                          > file in NoteTab rather than in the browser. One way you might use it
                          > is with the NoteTab pasteboard function turned on, View Source for a
                          > given web page, Cntrl+A to block the page and copy it to the
                          > pasteboard file, close the page source file, move onto the next web
                          > page. All of your reviewed pages, with source code, would wind up
                          > appended to the text in the file set as the pasteboard file.

                          Sorry if I do a mistake, I haven't read former messsages in this thread),

                          You have this other extension :
                          "
                          ViewSourceWith: This is a extension, compatible with most mozilla
                          applications, that allows you to open source pages with your preferred
                          editor, useful for programmer and web designer. Tested under Windows
                          and Linux (from version 0.0.6 works on MacOSX).
                          "
                          http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dafizilla/viewsourcewith-0.0.7.4.xpi?download

                          I use it all day long with my TiddlyWikis : you do not have to Ctrl-A
                          Ctrl-C to open/update your html file, while pasteboard can still be
                          set on another log file :)

                          --

                          Jacques
                          http://avm.free.fr/en/EN-PimliPoche.html
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 30, 2005
                            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:

                            > When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does not
                            > capture the link URL.

                            Try this bookmarklet, it works in Opera, Firefox and IE.

                            warning: one long line, make sure you get it all into bookmarklet URL

                            javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for (var i=0;i<l.length;i++) {if (l[i].href!="") l[i].parentNode.insertBefore(document.createTextNode(" ["+l[i].href+"] "),l[i].nextSibling)}})();

                            Selecting the bookmarklet adds " [link's_url] " after all links on page, so when you cut the text they are included.

                            Jorma
                          • ken winston caine

                              Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:55:33 -0000
                              From: "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@...>
                              Subject: Re: Will Notetab Pro let me copy and paste from web pages and capture...

                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:

                              > When I copy linked copy from a web page in Standard, it does not
                              > capture the link URL.

                              Try this bookmarklet, it works in Opera, Firefox and IE.

                              warning: one long line, make sure you get it all into bookmarklet URL

                              javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for (var i=0;i<l.length;i++) {if (l[i].href!="") l[i].parentNode.insertBefore(document.createTextNode(" ["+l[i].href+"] "),l[i].nextSibling)}})();

                              Selecting the bookmarklet adds " [link's_url] " after all links on page, so when you cut the text they are included.

                              Jorma

                            • Don - htmlfixit.com
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                                it may work in IE, I didn't try it. It doesn't seem to work in firefox
                                for me.

                                Here is a page that explains a little bit:
                                http://www.squarefree.com/bookmarklets/

                                What I do is make a link in a web page (to make a web page open a new
                                file in notetab, then do modify/document to html/with paragraph tags.
                                Insert an href tag and insert the bookmarklet as the url (all on one
                                line). The descriptive text is what it will show as under bookmarks.
                                Then either right click and add to bookmarks, or drag it to your links
                                toolbar (my favorite as there is now a button to do it).
                              • jorigami
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ken winston caine" <kwc@k...> wrote:
                                  > So this WILL work with IE and Notetab. Very cool. Now, forgive me, but can you explain what a bookmarklet is and how/where to install it?

                                  Managing bookmarks in IE is a mess, so easiest way to add bookmarklet
                                  is

                                  - on the Favorites menu, click Add to Favorites.
                                  - give it some meaningful name ("show links" maybe)
                                  - on the Favorites menu, click the new bookmark with right mouse button
                                  - select Properties
                                  - change URL to Javascript I posted

                                  I've tested this with Finnish language IE6SP1 with all patches.

                                  Jorma
                                • jorigami
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
                                    > It doesn't seem to work in firefox for me.

                                    I guess it's time for me to update. I only use Ff for testing so I'm
                                    several releases behind the rest of the world.

                                    Jorma
                                  • jorigami
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@a...> wrote:
                                      > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - htmlfixit.com" <don@h...> wrote:
                                      > > It doesn't seem to work in firefox for me.
                                      >
                                      > I guess it's time for me to update. I only use Ff for testing so I'm
                                      > several releases behind the rest of the world.

                                      I updated to Ff 1.07 Finnish, it still works fine for me. No
                                      extensions except for Link Toolbar.

                                      Jorma
                                    • jorigami
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 1, 2005
                                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "jorigami" <jorma.oksanen@a...> wrote:

                                        > Try this bookmarklet, it works in Opera, Firefox and IE.
                                        >
                                        > warning: one long line, make sure you get it all into bookmarklet URL
                                        >
                                        > javascript:(function(){var l=document.getElementsByTagName("a");for (var i=0;i<l.length;i++) {if (l[i].href!="") l[i].parentNode.insertBefore(document.createTextNode(" ["+l[i].href+"] "),l[i].nextSibling)}})();

                                        If you have trouble getting it work, try copying it from page

                                        http://www.sci.fi/~tenu/bookmarklets.htm

                                        You can try it first by clicking the link on page, if the JavaScript
                                        source apperars then it works as intended. Just click it with right
                                        mouse button and select "Add to Favourites".

                                        Jorma
                                      • ken winston caine
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 29, 2005
                                          Just have to thank you again for this, Jorma. Been using it for a
                                          couple months and it's amazingly helpful in my work.

                                          Got it working in both Firefox and Internet Explorer. (Pop-up blocker
                                          was stopping it in Firefox.) Have it in the toolbar in Firefox now. No
                                          matter what webpage I'm on, I just click on the toolbar "Show Links"
                                          icon and the full path for every link on the page appears. Then I can
                                          Select All/Copy/Paste into Notetab and have the actual links in my
                                          Notetab file.

                                          Best,
                                          kwc