Re: [NTB] Wordwrap Question

  • Paul D. Leichty
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
      (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
      Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
      Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
      effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
      Has anyone else seen this?

      Paul D. Leichty
      PDLeichty@...

      Companion Resources
      "People using Technology building Community"
      http://www.cresources.org
      info@...

      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

      > sisterscape wrote:
      > > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
      > > is on. sisterscape
      > >
      > > --- james.homme@... wrote:
      > >

      > >>Hi,
      > >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
      > >>Word
      > >>wrap is on?
      > >>
      > >>Thanks.
      > >>
      > >>Jim
      > yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
      > whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
      > you wish and report out the status.
      >
      > Don

      > Fookes Software: *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt
      > from "www.fookes.us," claiming to be* http://www.fookes.us,
      > http://www.fookes.com

      > Computer monitoring software
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+monitoring+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=lOiAmQq_vYqBXp5J_utRLw>
      > Computer software industry
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+software+industry&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=SfoRCj0IaMg6M_vD5PW3Gw>
      > Computer and internet software
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+and+internet+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=634_9g5FaI4DxzifRFCEQg>

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
        > hsavage wrote:
        >> james.homme@... wrote:
        >>> Hi,
        >>> How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document,
        that Word
        >>> wrap is on?
        >>>
        >> Jim,
        >>
        >> In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
        >> off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
        >> with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
        >>
        >> ºvº
        >> 05.09.01
        >> hrs > hsavage@...
        >>
        > unless you have only short lines, correct?

        Don,

        One might think that is correct but, if I open a blank doc and toggle
        between WordWrap on/off I get the scrollbar at the bottom of the edit
        window.

        It might have something to do with 'Wrap to Column' which I have set at
        79, but, I've changed that to several different values and have seen no
        apparent change.

        ºvº
        05.09.01
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          Paul D. Leichty wrote:
          > While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
          > (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
          > Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
          > Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
          > effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
          > Has anyone else seen this?
          >
          > Paul D. Leichty

          Paul,

          Yes, I've seen it, though I seldom use .otl's. I experience the lack of
          'toggle-ability' on ordinary text files.

          Usually if the cursor is near the bottom of the file I lose the ability
          to toggle WordWrap off if on, or on if off. When this happens I think I
          always have a clipbook editor window open with a clipbook visible. My
          work-around is to toggle the clipbook window off, then back on using F4.

          This usually takes care of the problem temporarily.

          ºvº
          05.09.01
          hrs > hsavage@...
        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
            There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(

            Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

            Thanks.

            Dave S

            > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
            > is on. sisterscape
            >
            > --- james.homme@... wrote:
            >

            >>Hi,
            >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
            >>Word
            >>wrap is on?
            >>
            >>Thanks.
            >>
            >>Jim
            yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
            whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
            you wish and report out the status.

            Don

          • loro
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
              David Smart wrote:
              >There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS
              >Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(
              >
              >Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

              You could also do one Alt + D to see if Word Wrap is ticked, in case you
              want to remove the W button. Sounds like you don't use it much. ;-)

              Wouldn't this be a nice thing to have on the status bar BTW?

              Lotta
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                I didn't use it much in the past. Now I use it all the time. :-)

                I'm constantly in and out of word-wrap - it totally depends on what I'm working on - and I often hit ctrl-w unnecessarily, so a visual hint - right there - is great.

                Dave S