Re: [NTB] Wordwrap Question

  • Paul D. Leichty
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
      (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
      Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
      Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
      effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
      Has anyone else seen this?

      Paul D. Leichty
      PDLeichty@...

      Companion Resources
      "People using Technology building Community"
      http://www.cresources.org
      info@...

      Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

      > sisterscape wrote:
      > > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
      > > is on. sisterscape
      > >
      > > --- james.homme@... wrote:
      > >

      > >>Hi,
      > >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
      > >>Word
      > >>wrap is on?
      > >>
      > >>Thanks.
      > >>
      > >>Jim
      > yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
      > whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
      > you wish and report out the status.
      >
      > Don

      > Fookes Software: *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt
      > from "www.fookes.us," claiming to be* http://www.fookes.us,
      > http://www.fookes.com

      > Computer monitoring software
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+monitoring+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=lOiAmQq_vYqBXp5J_utRLw>
      > Computer software industry
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+software+industry&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=SfoRCj0IaMg6M_vD5PW3Gw>
      > Computer and internet software
      > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+and+internet+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=634_9g5FaI4DxzifRFCEQg>

    • hsavage
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        james.homme@... wrote:
        > Hi,
        > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
        > wrap is on?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jim

        Jim,

        In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
        off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
        with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.

        ºvº
        05.09.01
        hrs > hsavage@...
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          hsavage wrote:
          > james.homme@... wrote:
          > > Hi,
          > > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
          > > wrap is on?
          > >
          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > Jim
          >
          > Jim,
          >
          > In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
          > off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
          > with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
          >
          > ºvº
          > 05.09.01
          > hrs > hsavage@...

          unless you have only short lines, correct?
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
            > hsavage wrote:
            >> james.homme@... wrote:
            >>> Hi,
            >>> How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document,
            that Word
            >>> wrap is on?
            >>>
            >> Jim,
            >>
            >> In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
            >> off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
            >> with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
            >>
            >> ºvº
            >> 05.09.01
            >> hrs > hsavage@...
            >>
            > unless you have only short lines, correct?

            Don,

            One might think that is correct but, if I open a blank doc and toggle
            between WordWrap on/off I get the scrollbar at the bottom of the edit
            window.

            It might have something to do with 'Wrap to Column' which I have set at
            79, but, I've changed that to several different values and have seen no
            apparent change.

            ºvº
            05.09.01
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              Paul D. Leichty wrote:
              > While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
              > (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
              > Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
              > Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
              > effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
              > Has anyone else seen this?
              >
              > Paul D. Leichty

              Paul,

              Yes, I've seen it, though I seldom use .otl's. I experience the lack of
              'toggle-ability' on ordinary text files.

              Usually if the cursor is near the bottom of the file I lose the ability
              to toggle WordWrap off if on, or on if off. When this happens I think I
              always have a clipbook editor window open with a clipbook visible. My
              work-around is to toggle the clipbook window off, then back on using F4.

              This usually takes care of the problem temporarily.

              ºvº
              05.09.01
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(

                Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                Thanks.

                Dave S

                > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
                > is on. sisterscape
                >
                > --- james.homme@... wrote:
                >

                >>Hi,
                >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
                >>Word
                >>wrap is on?
                >>
                >>Thanks.
                >>
                >>Jim
                yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
                whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
                you wish and report out the status.

                Don

              • loro
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                  David Smart wrote:
                  >There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS
                  >Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(
                  >
                  >Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                  You could also do one Alt + D to see if Word Wrap is ticked, in case you
                  want to remove the W button. Sounds like you don't use it much. ;-)

                  Wouldn't this be a nice thing to have on the status bar BTW?

                  Lotta
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                    I didn't use it much in the past. Now I use it all the time. :-)

                    I'm constantly in and out of word-wrap - it totally depends on what I'm working on - and I often hit ctrl-w unnecessarily, so a visual hint - right there - is great.

                    Dave S