Re: [NTB] Wordwrap Question

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
      is on. sisterscape

      --- james.homme@... wrote:

      > Hi,
      > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
      > Word
      > wrap is on?
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Jim
      >

      > James D Homme,
      > Information Design + Development
      > Highmark Inc.
      > james.homme@...
      > 412-544-0527
      > "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Don - htmlfixit.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        sisterscape wrote:
        > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
        > is on. sisterscape
        >
        > --- james.homme@... wrote:
        >

        >>Hi,
        >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
        >>Word
        >>wrap is on?
        >>
        >>Thanks.
        >>
        >>Jim
        yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
        whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
        you wish and report out the status.

        Don
      • Paul D. Leichty
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
          (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
          Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
          Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
          effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
          Has anyone else seen this?

          Paul D. Leichty
          PDLeichty@...

          Companion Resources
          "People using Technology building Community"
          http://www.cresources.org
          info@...

          Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

          > sisterscape wrote:
          > > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
          > > is on. sisterscape
          > >
          > > --- james.homme@... wrote:
          > >

          > >>Hi,
          > >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
          > >>Word
          > >>wrap is on?
          > >>
          > >>Thanks.
          > >>
          > >>Jim
          > yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
          > whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
          > you wish and report out the status.
          >
          > Don

          > Fookes Software: *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt
          > from "www.fookes.us," claiming to be* http://www.fookes.us,
          > http://www.fookes.com

          > Computer monitoring software
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+monitoring+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=lOiAmQq_vYqBXp5J_utRLw>
          > Computer software industry
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+software+industry&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=SfoRCj0IaMg6M_vD5PW3Gw>
          > Computer and internet software
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+and+internet+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=634_9g5FaI4DxzifRFCEQg>

        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            james.homme@... wrote:
            > Hi,
            > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
            > wrap is on?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Jim

            Jim,

            In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
            off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
            with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.

            ºvº
            05.09.01
            hrs > hsavage@...
          • Don - htmlfixit.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              hsavage wrote:
              > james.homme@... wrote:
              > > Hi,
              > > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
              > > wrap is on?
              > >
              > > Thanks.
              > >
              > > Jim
              >
              > Jim,
              >
              > In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
              > off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
              > with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
              >
              > ºvº
              > 05.09.01
              > hrs > hsavage@...

              unless you have only short lines, correct?
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                > hsavage wrote:
                >> james.homme@... wrote:
                >>> Hi,
                >>> How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document,
                that Word
                >>> wrap is on?
                >>>
                >> Jim,
                >>
                >> In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
                >> off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
                >> with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
                >>
                >> ºvº
                >> 05.09.01
                >> hrs > hsavage@...
                >>
                > unless you have only short lines, correct?

                Don,

                One might think that is correct but, if I open a blank doc and toggle
                between WordWrap on/off I get the scrollbar at the bottom of the edit
                window.

                It might have something to do with 'Wrap to Column' which I have set at
                79, but, I've changed that to several different values and have seen no
                apparent change.

                ºvº
                05.09.01
                hrs > hsavage@...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Paul D. Leichty wrote:
                  > While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
                  > (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
                  > Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
                  > Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
                  > effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
                  > Has anyone else seen this?
                  >
                  > Paul D. Leichty

                  Paul,

                  Yes, I've seen it, though I seldom use .otl's. I experience the lack of
                  'toggle-ability' on ordinary text files.

                  Usually if the cursor is near the bottom of the file I lose the ability
                  to toggle WordWrap off if on, or on if off. When this happens I think I
                  always have a clipbook editor window open with a clipbook visible. My
                  work-around is to toggle the clipbook window off, then back on using F4.

                  This usually takes care of the problem temporarily.

                  ºvº
                  05.09.01
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • David Smart
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                    There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(

                    Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                    Thanks.

                    Dave S

                    > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
                    > is on. sisterscape
                    >
                    > --- james.homme@... wrote:
                    >

                    >>Hi,
                    >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
                    >>Word
                    >>wrap is on?
                    >>
                    >>Thanks.
                    >>
                    >>Jim
                    yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
                    whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
                    you wish and report out the status.

                    Don

                  • loro
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                      David Smart wrote:
                      >There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS
                      >Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(
                      >
                      >Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                      You could also do one Alt + D to see if Word Wrap is ticked, in case you
                      want to remove the W button. Sounds like you don't use it much. ;-)

                      Wouldn't this be a nice thing to have on the status bar BTW?

                      Lotta
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                        I didn't use it much in the past. Now I use it all the time. :-)

                        I'm constantly in and out of word-wrap - it totally depends on what I'm working on - and I often hit ctrl-w unnecessarily, so a visual hint - right there - is great.

                        Dave S