Wordwrap Question

  • james.homme@highmark.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi,
      How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
      wrap is on?

      Thanks.

      Jim

      James D Homme,
      Information Design + Development
      Highmark Inc.
      james.homme@...
      412-544-0527
      "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."
    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
        I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
        is on. sisterscape

        --- james.homme@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
        > Word
        > wrap is on?
        >
        > Thanks.
        >
        > Jim
        >

        > James D Homme,
        > Information Design + Development
        > Highmark Inc.
        > james.homme@...
        > 412-544-0527
        > "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Don - htmlfixit.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
          sisterscape wrote:
          > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
          > is on. sisterscape
          >
          > --- james.homme@... wrote:
          >

          >>Hi,
          >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
          >>Word
          >>wrap is on?
          >>
          >>Thanks.
          >>
          >>Jim
          yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
          whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
          you wish and report out the status.

          Don
        • Paul D. Leichty
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
            While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
            (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
            Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
            Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
            effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
            Has anyone else seen this?

            Paul D. Leichty
            PDLeichty@...

            Companion Resources
            "People using Technology building Community"
            http://www.cresources.org
            info@...

            Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:

            > sisterscape wrote:
            > > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
            > > is on. sisterscape
            > >
            > > --- james.homme@... wrote:
            > >

            > >>Hi,
            > >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
            > >>Word
            > >>wrap is on?
            > >>
            > >>Thanks.
            > >>
            > >>Jim
            > yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
            > whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
            > you wish and report out the status.
            >
            > Don

            > Fookes Software: *MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt
            > from "www.fookes.us," claiming to be* http://www.fookes.us,
            > http://www.fookes.com

            > Computer monitoring software
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+monitoring+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=lOiAmQq_vYqBXp5J_utRLw>
            > Computer software industry
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+software+industry&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=SfoRCj0IaMg6M_vD5PW3Gw>
            > Computer and internet software
            > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Computer+and+internet+software&w1=Computer+monitoring+software&w2=Computer+software+industry&w3=Computer+and+internet+software&c=3&s=102&.sig=634_9g5FaI4DxzifRFCEQg>

          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
              james.homme@... wrote:
              > Hi,
              > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
              > wrap is on?
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > Jim

              Jim,

              In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
              off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
              with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.

              ºvº
              05.09.01
              hrs > hsavage@...
            • Don - htmlfixit.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                hsavage wrote:
                > james.homme@... wrote:
                > > Hi,
                > > How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that Word
                > > wrap is on?
                > >
                > > Thanks.
                > >
                > > Jim
                >
                > Jim,
                >
                > In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
                > off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
                > with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
                >
                > ºvº
                > 05.09.01
                > hrs > hsavage@...

                unless you have only short lines, correct?
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                  Don - htmlfixit.com wrote:
                  > hsavage wrote:
                  >> james.homme@... wrote:
                  >>> Hi,
                  >>> How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document,
                  that Word
                  >>> wrap is on?
                  >>>
                  >> Jim,
                  >>
                  >> In addition to the other responses, normally, visually, with WordWrap
                  >> off there is a horizontal scrollbar at the bottom of the edit window,
                  >> with WordWrap on there is no horizontal scrollbar.
                  >>
                  >> ºvº
                  >> 05.09.01
                  >> hrs > hsavage@...
                  >>
                  > unless you have only short lines, correct?

                  Don,

                  One might think that is correct but, if I open a blank doc and toggle
                  between WordWrap on/off I get the scrollbar at the bottom of the edit
                  window.

                  It might have something to do with 'Wrap to Column' which I have set at
                  79, but, I've changed that to several different values and have seen no
                  apparent change.

                  ºvº
                  05.09.01
                  hrs > hsavage@...
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2005
                    Paul D. Leichty wrote:
                    > While on the subject of Wordwrap, every now and then, I have a document
                    > (usually .otl) that will not allow me to toggle Wordwrap at all.
                    > Nothing happens when I hit the icon on the toolbar, and I can go into
                    > Options and check and uncheck all I want and it still doesn't have any
                    > effect. It only happens on certain files; most files behave normally.
                    > Has anyone else seen this?
                    >
                    > Paul D. Leichty

                    Paul,

                    Yes, I've seen it, though I seldom use .otl's. I experience the lack of
                    'toggle-ability' on ordinary text files.

                    Usually if the cursor is near the bottom of the file I lose the ability
                    to toggle WordWrap off if on, or on if off. When this happens I think I
                    always have a clipbook editor window open with a clipbook visible. My
                    work-around is to toggle the clipbook window off, then back on using F4.

                    This usually takes care of the problem temporarily.

                    ºvº
                    05.09.01
                    hrs > hsavage@...
                  • David Smart
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                      There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(

                      Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                      Thanks.

                      Dave S

                      > I have a button on the toolbar that changes appearance when Word Wrap
                      > is on. sisterscape
                      >
                      > --- james.homme@... wrote:
                      >

                      >>Hi,
                      >>How do you tell visually, besides long lines in your document, that
                      >>Word
                      >>wrap is on?
                      >>
                      >>Thanks.
                      >>
                      >>Jim
                      yes Jim, it is a W button that show depressed or raised depending on
                      whether it is on/off. You can also check state of wordwrap in a clip if
                      you wish and report out the status.

                      Don

                    • loro
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                        David Smart wrote:
                        >There it is sitting right next to the font button, but a big W means MS
                        >Word to me, so I'd never bothered noticing it (or engaging my brain). :-(
                        >
                        >Much easier than trying Ctrl-W a couple of times to see which mode I'm in.

                        You could also do one Alt + D to see if Word Wrap is ticked, in case you
                        want to remove the W button. Sounds like you don't use it much. ;-)

                        Wouldn't this be a nice thing to have on the status bar BTW?

                        Lotta
                      • David Smart
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 3, 2005
                          I didn't use it much in the past. Now I use it all the time. :-)

                          I'm constantly in and out of word-wrap - it totally depends on what I'm working on - and I often hit ctrl-w unnecessarily, so a visual hint - right there - is great.

                          Dave S